Is this a Kai?

edited June 2008 in General
I can't tell if this is a Kai Ken

Comments

• edited November -1
    If that is the natural coat - i would say no - it is too short. The ears seem slightly large and the snout looks a bit long, but do you know if this is a female or a male? And how old he/she is?
  • edited November -1
    either way its a beautiful dog!
  • edited November -1
    I think that's probably a Kai-Ken, or at least a Kai mix... seems a little large and the eyes are kinda light color... but those could all be traits of poor breeding.

----
  • edited November -1
    I just saw this dog on a rescue listing, listed as a Kai mix but I thought it looked like a pure Kai, and was curious so I decided to check with you guys, since Kai aren't commonly encountered in rescue.

http://www.nextdaypets.com/directory/dogs/11c5f685-7452.aspx
  • edited November -1
    Brad, that brings up an interesting discussion: Is a very poorly bred dog, that lost or got some breed traits very diluted, still considered a specimen of that breed?
  • edited November -1
    Do you know the size and weight of the dog? It seems quite a bit large for a Kai Ken (judging from the leg of a human in the picture, etc.)
  • edited November -1
    No, I don't know anything about the dog except what's on the listing. It just says that it's eight and a half months old.
  • edited November -1
    LOL... man that site kinda makes me mad.

"Potential: Perfect Pet" <- LOL

I'm not sure I would call a Kai the "Perfect Pet"... I mean they are cool and all but Kona is the most challenging of all our pups. They make the "Perfect Pet" under the "Perfect Conditions" but not for the general public.

I guess a lawn chair has the <i>potential to be a "Perfect Pet" too.

Also what happens if you click "Purchase this dog"... I dunno, gives me a bad vibe.

----

They probably label it as a "Chow Mix" because it has dark marking on its tongue and most people don't realize that is a Kai-Ken [and Hokkaido] trait.

Also the dog is in Michigan, there are two Kai-Ken breeders there... so it is probably a Kai. Kai-Ken are amazing escape artists.

----

Rui - That's an interesting point... I mean they have pure bloodlines so they must still be part of the breed, right?

----
  • edited November -1
    I agree, Brad, something about that site doesn't seem right. It's just one of those sites that tries to advertise dogs as perfect to sell them asap. But there's no such thing as a 'perfect' pet. Too bad for the dog, I thought that Kai were still rare enough that few fall into rescue/shelters.

I suppose that poorly bred dogs are just bad examples of their breed, if they can be called that.
  • edited November -1
    Hmmmm--- next day pets? No kidding... Not sure how that works?