Ahi & Hilo recovery videos!

edited June 2008 in General
Here are some very recent videos of Ahi and Hilo... They are recovering nicely!

Ahi and Hilo - She wants his food... This is a long one, but watch for the moment when Hilo lets her have the rest of his food. Her face is so funny - she does a triple take:

This is classic Ahi - she is doing some oddness with Loa across the gate, then she goes to get Lani to play - Lani's not in the mood. That doesn't stop Ahi tho, she keeps going till we have to break it up and my leg gets bit just as I turn the camera off. Lani has been a bit moody the past few days, I think its the final stage of her heat:

We catch Ahi rubbing in the shower:

----

Comments

• edited November -1
    Great spam!
    Ahi really likes to rub. And she likes to annoy the other pups, hehehe. But it's interesting how good she is around Hilo.That's respect for you.
    How's your leg?
  • edited June 2008
    why do they rub?

ahi and hilo look great!
  • edited November -1
    They're look great now!
    Big kiss to Hilo and Ahi
    ^_^
  • edited November -1
    My leg is fine - I wasn't doing a very good job body blocking them so I probably deserved it. :o\

----

Ahi respect Hilo, tho he is younger than her... so I think the same thing will happen with Lani too.

Ahi likes to test the other dogs, she pushes on them until they snap - then she knows how to manipulate them. She is not afraid of the conflict because she knows she can back her actions up if needed.

But you notice in the clip she "pushes" Lani to the point where Lani gets pissed then she submits by falling on her side... Lani just has not learned that is how Ahi submits and she is saying "hey, look, I'm playing, chill out and play!"... Lani will learn - once they can both be in the yard together [supervised obviously] they will learn to play.

Akita seem to have a rule that there is no inside play! Hilo was like this too.

----

There are lots of theories on why dogs rub, in this case we think it because she has been removed from most of the house during recovery so she is getting all her "people", "pack", and "den" smells back on her.

Our Shikas are really primitive with the rubbing - Loa will go for a walk and find something to rub on, she gets all crazy rubbing on it. Then when we get back to the house the very first thing she does is got to Ahi's crate and rub her self along the side so that Ahi can smell her. It's cute - and its a perfect example of a dog bring smells back to the pack. Its really neat.

----
  • edited November -1
    ah!! That is really neat! (the rubbing thing)
    do they ever rub on you?? Kitsune will rub on my head like a cat..
  • edited November -1
    Great to see that everyone is doing so well!

I miss Ahi's antics! And the triple take she does is adorable! "Really Hilo? I can have it? Really? Are you sure? I better eat it before he changes his mind!"

I hope the bite on your leg wasn't bad. Not totally surprising given you just shoved your leg inbetween them without claiming the space. Live and learn!
  • edited November -1
    The body language between Ahi and Lani is amazing. Ahi has a way of submitting but still antagonizing just enough to play. I love the rubbing (Jen- I am pretty sure they do it to loosen their coats, Moto does it when he is blowing his coat the most).

Nice shower Brad, when are Jay and I coming to dog sit?
  • edited November -1
    Tenji rubs too. His favorite is horse shit. The fresher...the better.
    It's great to see Ahi being her "old" self. How is her knee?
  • edited November -1
    LOL! I see Ronan and Tasha in that video! Ronan pushes Tasha to the edge as well - she's just not as assertive as Lani to back it up. Usually, she pins him and when she lets up, he darts around the house doing the butt-down, ears flat boogey and tries to get her to do it again. Such a knucklehead he is! It's why we call him... THE RONANATOR. Because he will not stop until you are dead.

Dorothy - Ack! Hose puckey? I'll count my blessings that Ronan loves laundry and used bath towels.
  • edited November -1
    Glad to see they're doing well!

The triple take was the best xD~
  • edited June 2008
    Jessica - Good point - I think you are right... Loa has been rubbing more than normal right now and she is blowing her coat like crazy. Ahi isn't tho - so maybe they are rubbing for different reasons. As for our shower - that's Jen's shower... she loves it. I get the plastic one upstairs. lol! You guys are welcome to visit anytime, the pups would LOVE it. :o)

Jen - Ahi rubs on my leg... we have been trying to get it on tape for ever.

----

The bite on my leg was no big deal... sometimes when I'm holding the camera I try to be the referee too and end up juts kinda getting in the way.

----
  • edited November -1
    Great videos. It's good to see Ahi and big Hilo back in action! Our Harlow likes to rub on used bath towels.
  • edited November -1
    Great video father pack leader