virus alert!!

edited July 2008 in General
My husband murdered my laptop last night.. the story is he was looking in his yahoo mail and had an email from monster.com, opened it and BAM - there goes my computer..
I got home, tried to see what was up and everything is gone on my computer - everything except pop up offers to purchase spyware... I have never had a computer with a virus, its shocking what it does to your comp!

Is there anything I can do to revive my poor laptop? It was a Toshiba Satellite A215-S4757, running on Windows XP.

SO BEWARE if you use either Yahoo or Monster.com..

Comments

• edited November -1
    Format the hard drive. Actually you should have the original CDs/DVDs that came with it and restore it to it's original shape.
  • edited November -1
    Yep, I agree with Rui. That's the way to go. Your data won't come back, but you have no way of knowing if its been corrupted or not at this point.
  • edited November -1
    i know! its tragic! my sims 2 game! my puppy pictures! my research work and my thesis (i am smart enough to keep a copy on zip drive)! all gone...

and actually my computer was from the University where I work with a restored hard drive.. so i'm trying to locate any and all discs to restore it to some point...

viruses suck.
  • edited November -1
    What OS do you use? With newer version of windows you can "rollback" to snapshots it takes peroidically. You might be able to salvage some of your data that way.
  • edited July 2008
    Run Hijack this from majorgeeks.com

You can have one of the forum members look at it if you'll post the results. I've done it loads of times. Do you normally use a virus checker with up-to-date definitions? My PCs do an auto update nightly for both virus definitions and for spyware. I run Symantec and Spybot. I always recommend a daily update from both.

If you run Symantec, you can do this:

Turn off system restore, download the latest virus defs, reboot the machine in safe mode, run symantec. It'll clean the system pretty good. It may tell you the name of the virus. Delete any file in quarantine. Reboot in normal mode, download any virus fix tool from symantec. Run the tool. Re-run symantec. Remove any file it quarantines. Download Spybot from safer-networking.org. Download the definitions. Run that. Run fixes. Repeat. Then, when you think you're clean, back up your data and rebuild the OS and reload your apps. Put the data back. You should be okay. BTW, I'm MS certified and work in IT. This happens ALL the time (although I do have suggestions for keeping your pc free of viruses...)

With my Mac, I'm totally virus and spyware free (nearly maintenance free, too). It won't download a thing without asking for the admin password, and since I don't log in with an admin acct on it, it's clean as a whistle. Scripts don't affect it, either.

Keep your PC free of viruses and spyware:

1. Never log on as admin. If you need to download something, then log in as admin. (Mac users: downloads will prompt you for the admin acct & password so you don't have to log off and back on, and you can do fast-user switching if really necessary).
    2. Use a good anti-virus and set it to run daily and to check for updates daily. (Not really necessary on a Mac if you take all other precautions seriously).
    3. Ditto step two with a spyware program. I use Spybot. (ditto for the above when using a Mac.)
    4. You know the rules: never download things you aren't sure of, never click on links in emails, never open emails from people you don't know.
    5. Turn the HTML viewer off in your emails (stops the spammer from knowing they've hit a legit acct).
    6. Back up weekly. (Macs use Time Machine and will do all the backup work for you behind the scenes)
    7. Use a router (hardware firewall)
    8. Turn off broadcasting from your router. You can turn it back on if you really need it. Stops people from scanning you.
    9. Use a software firewall (XP, Symantec, etc.) I use Internet Security.
    10. Change the login for your router - linksys etc.
    11. Change the password for your router. Always! There are only so many defaults and people can get them easy enough from the web. Use the highest encryption possible that you can live with.
    12 Make sure your router password is a tough one. Write it down where you won't forget it.
    13. Don't let guests have admin rights to your machine. Don't download free music - it has usually has tiny scripts in the mp3s.
    14. Keep up to date with patches. Both Windows and Macs have the ability to do this automatically, although the Mac requires the admin acct password - even if the update if from Apple. A Windows machine will install and reboot without your permission and requires that you are logged in with an acct that has administrative rights.
  • edited July 2008
    we have windows xp, office 2007 and we tried to rollback - the Toshiba guy helped us figure that out - but everything is erased! There was nothing for it to revive..

i normally let windows auto scan updates and virus checks, but I didn't have any anti-virus installed, we always have the securities and ecryptions as high we possibly can. I also never logged in as admin or d/l anything on the computer except browser and add-on updates.. but after sharing my laptop with my husband HE KILLS IT!

we're trying to reboot today.. I don't have the original discs but we're trying it with my moms. If that doesn't work, I guess I'll be *forced* into getting that macbook I've been thinking about.. b/c right now I'm on my husband's older Mac tower and the OS is outdated, so the safari is outdated..
  • edited November -1
    You can download firfox 3.0 for the mac. I'm pretty sure it works with 10.4.
  • edited November -1
    Yep. Firefox works with Tiger and Leopard.

Depending on how old the Mac is, you might be able to upgrade or run Leopard on it.

ALWAYS run a spyware AND an antivirus on anything PC. Update at least every couple of days, run scans every couple of days, too.
  • edited November -1
    my computer is deemed unusable by the tech at Toshiba and the comp help guy on campus.

SO
    I'm looking into getting desktop, although I loved my laptop, I don't really need one anymore, I'm home based rather than school based to work.
    Does anyone have pros or cons about Dell desktops? In particular the 530s?
    Thanks!
  • edited November -1
    I know a lot of people don't particularly like the dell desktops; however, I've had nothing but good luck with them. They are sturdily built, provide ample customization options, and are generally reliable. I have a dell desktop and laptop that are both 9 years old at this point and still run without a problem. The only thing I've ever had break was the harddrive on the laptop and that at 4+ years old. I would recommend spending the extra few hundred bucks on the extended warranty. In my experience, if things go wrong, they tend to go wrong very shortly after you get the machine or in the 3-4 year range.
  • edited November -1
    I too have a dell laptop and desktop. I am leery typing this because I am probably summoning evil computer pixies, but I love both. Sure they are by no means glamorous but good reliable sturdy machines.

I also really like the AVG firewall antivirus spyware software.
  • edited November -1
    years ago, when I was in IT - I worked with Dells - we had a great success rate - my desktop is a modified one from the days - it's right at 12 years old. At work (where I'm not in IT, but...) we've just switch from Dell, but not due to problems - it was a corporate change based on contract pricing. They have good systmes - while I am not a fan of extended warranties, if you have no one in the biz close by - it can be well worth the price.
  • edited November -1
    Also, are you set on a PC? Any chance of coming over to the dark side and getting a mac? Mac mini's are great little machines for not much cash. About the only issue you may have with them is only support a single monitor (which probably won't be a problem) and don't come with a keyboard or mouse. If you do go that route, don't buy a mac monitor. They are phenominal quality, but a bit pricey. You can get 90% of the performance for 70% of the cost if you buy a dell. I got a samsung 19" widescreen flatpanel for my mac mini and I hate it. The dell's are great though.
  • edited July 2008
    Well I think I am set on a PC, the computer is just for my uses between personal stuff and school work from home so I really don't need a laptop anymore. I will miss my Toshiba though, we had a great affair, my satellite and I. My husband has a Mac, I am slightly weary of it! Although I've been having to use that at home this past week. Too much stuff going on there. Luckily, the university where I work had 'dead stock' Mac Pros when they upgraded the department to the iMACs so I got the tower/keyboard/mouse for free for John and just had to buy the newest adobe software and a monitor, which I also got discounts on from working on campus!! There are perks to working on campus!
    But for me, I think windows-based suits my purposes better. And I do homework from my work computer, so I need it to be windows compatible to send work back and forth. I think I'll be ordering the Dell 530s..

Jessica, "I also really like the AVG firewall antivirus spyware software." - that is awesome, I am going to be so much more diligent this time around!!
  • edited November -1
    Sony or Toshiba is my top PC choice these days, but if I were to buy another computer - hands down it'll be another Mac. I have 4-5 PCs on my home network at any given time (two are work computers for hubby and me). All but one are Dells. Then there's the newcomer - the MacBook Pro. No more anti-virus, no more defrag, disk clean, spyware, definitions for spyware & defrag. Gorgeous display, fast, dependable, easy, low maint (I do keep my own files in check & the mac has a great search feature that lets me color code files that are old or haven't been touched in a long time). I also run a freeware Onyx about once a month that clears out cache, and a few other things REAL quick. Backups are so painless with Time Machine it's a joy. No more Symantec internet security, either.

Just know that you'll be getting Vista on that nice new Dell. Expect a lot of teeth gnashing and a long learning curve if you haven't worked with Vista before. You might be able to get Dell to 'upgrade' you to XP for an extra $100 - loads of people are ripping Vista off their machines and putting XP back on them.

And I'm in IT, and MS certified. Mac the dark side? I think that MS is now my dark side! LOL!
  • edited November -1
    I agree with Michelle's cmt "loads of people are ripping Vista off their machines and putting XP back on them." Count me on on ripping Vista out -- I couldn't STAND it and it caused my computer to crash with some programs. Horrible operating system -- why Microsoft thought that people wanted to "relearn" how to use Word, Excell, etc I will never know. All the stuff in these programs was in different places making it hard to be efficient since you had to search around for the things you wanted to do (even simple tasks like inserting bullets, changing margins etc).

Also, avoid HP Pavillion laptops like the plague. I got one about 18 mos ago and it just basically died last week (no viruses caused it either). The computer store where I went to fix it said that the HP's have really gone downhill. They said lots of HP pavillions were in the shop. This was an expensive laptop and it had multiple in warranty repairs and then just died (looks to be the motherboard which is $700 just to purchase without the tech's installation fees). I just bought an IBM thinkpad notebook (with XP on it).

I too have a Dell notebook that was built in 2000 and runs Windows Me. Still plugs along just fine, albeit a bit slowwww....
  • edited November -1
    Vista is evil, pure evil
  • edited November -1
    I second the crappiness of HP products. Their printers are top, but their PCs are horrendous. I've never known one to last more than 18 months without a significant problem. Usually fixable under warranty, but a huge pain in the a$$. I don't have any experience with Sony or Toshiba desktops, but I know Sony laptops have been crap in the past.

I believe the deadline has expired for manufactures to sell machines pre-loaded with XP so you'll probably have to do the XP "downgrade", but it will be worth your effort from what I've heard. MS pretty clearly missed the mark with Vista, just like they did with ME.
  • edited November -1
    If you looked up "perk" in the dictionary, you would find what just happened to me!
    I put my name in a pool for a free or discounted computer from the university where i work 2 days ago and they told me it would probably be winter before they got any more deadstock.
    I get a call today and I am the proud owner of a 'new' IBM Intellistation Pro. WOOT!! and it has XP instead of Vista! YAY!
    Somedays I really like working on campus!
  • edited November -1
    I think you should go buy a lottery ticket. ;-)
  • edited July 2008
    Glad it all worked out!

I ditto the thing about HP equipment. That's all that comes in here new anymore, and I've had about 5-7% bad right out of the box. Count another 10% that have serious hardware issues within 3 mos. The cases are flimsy, and crack easy.

Dave - How's Lucy, BTW? And I'm glad to have another Mac fan around :-)
  • edited November -1
    Michelle, she's doing great! I'm running late for the wedding events I have to attend today and I don't want to hijack this thread so I'll post an update in a day or two once things have calmed down.
  • edited July 2008
    hijack away, man! I got my computer and I want to know how lucy is doing too!
  • edited November -1
    Vista was the reason I moved to Mac too. I refuse to have an operating system that will suck the life out of your computer just to run itself, nothing else. I still like XP a lot, I'm going to install it on my iMac.