Game Cam Spam: What is this "breed"?

edited July 2008 in General
Well, here is a (very poor) video and a pic from the past week's "spying" effort with the game cam. This coming week may be more lucrative --- my hubby figured out how to get it to shoot a longer video and shorter time interval between pics.
Anyway, what's your vote on this one between coyote (sometimes called brush wolf in MN), and timber wolf?

Enjoy!

Photobucket

Comments

• edited November -1
    That's a Coyote, imo. Very cool! I really need to get one of these game cams!
  • edited November -1
    Sweet!!!! I'm no expert, but I'd go with coyote too. :-)
  • edited November -1
    coyote, the head shape is not quite wolf. That is really cool though!
  • edited November -1
    I'm going with Coyote as well, it just looks too small to be a wolf. That game cam is cool.

There is a fox that lives in the forrest preseve near our apartment (in the city). Next to the forrest is a city park, sometimes I come out for my early morning walk and he is running around in the field. Nemo freaks when he sees him. The fox is really shy, really cute though.
  • edited November -1
    Coyote for me too. Cool shots, that camera is very interesting.
  • edited November -1
    I wish I lived in an area where I could justify getting a game cam!

I also vote coyote :o)

That cam is seriously the neatest thing I've seen... too bad all I would catch on it were my neighbors leaving for work lol
  • edited November -1
    To all: It's interesting what the game cam has shown us to date ... We are having fun moving it around on our property and no doubt (especially those of you more remote from the city) might find some interesting wild life about when you least expect it if you post a cam on your property.

Kaddy (Evan and James): Well, I am the "city kid" now, too... Just fortunate for us that we have the farm property in north-central MN where I grew up, and my husband has been working for a few years to re-forest a bit and encourage the return of some of the wildlife. It's interesting how the changing habitat increases the presence of a variety of wild animals. I always remember domesticated animals (cattle, pigs, chickens, etc.) but very little wildlife from my "growing-up" years. Now there are rabbits, partridge, the coyotes, lots of deer, porcupines, and even a wolf (my husband saw it in the spring-time that was more like an endless winter this year) (among others).

Having said all that, I recall a time about 6 years ago or so when, here in the city, I woke to the sound of our neighbor's cat going crazy at about sunrise (5:30 a.m. or so). I took a look out my suburbia window into their yard (just a few feet from my window) and what did I see --- a red fox, big as life, staring down the cat who was yowling a blue streak (I'm sure just to scare it off)!!!! ... So, you never know... maybe there is more out there than your neighbors going about their mundane lives!

Keep an eye on this space. My husband is traveling "up north" to the farm again this week and into the weekend (alas, I am traveling to Cincinnati for work and can't tag along with him). It's possible he has captured some more "wild" videos - I'll share if there is something cool on the game cam this week.