Shiba Transfer for Rescue

edited July 2008 in General
Tomorrow I get to go pick up 2 shibas in Alabama and bring them to a foster home in Atlanta. It's a sad tale - the lady surrendering lost her husband and son last year, she has cancer and is moving cross-country to be closer to the center for treatment. The facility that she is moving to doesn't allow pets. I'll pick them up in the morning at 10 and then meet the foster parent at 1 to transfer. I'm very excited.

For all of you that volunteer - with shelters & rescues - thank you! Without your stories, I would not have been as aware of the needs of these fur friends. It is your commitments that have made me want to do this.

Comments

• edited November -1
    That is really heartbreaking. That poor lady. Thank you for helping her, and helping the dogs. I'm sure it will be a very emotional day for everyone tomorrow.
  • edited November -1
    that is a sad case. i hope you have a good day and safe drive. You are an angel to that lady and her shibas!
  • edited November -1
    Drive carefully and thank you for helping Rescue.
  • edited November -1
    I just glad things are working out for these little guys - I'll post a pic of them tomorrow.
  • edited November -1
    Thank you for helping these dogs out and assisting to keep them out of the shelter!
    The south does not have the greatest track record in regard to placement for spitizies. Euthanasia practices also vary from state to state and are not always humane.

Your help has made it possible to give these guys a second chance.

Blessings....
    Snf
  • edited November -1
    I, too, would like to express my gratitude to you for the wonderful work you do for these dogs. It's because of people like you and others involved with breed rescue that may enable me to own a shiba of my own while giving a wonderful animal another shot at a good life. Thank you.
  • edited November -1
    I didn't mention in my earlier post (and meant to) that this is the first time I've done a transfer - I'm excited to be doing it, even though the lady that surrendered the dogs to the Rescue in Alabama is in bad shape. It's 6:30 am and I'll be leaving in about 20 minutes to get on the road. Pictures this afternoon...
  • edited November -1
    It 3:30 pm and I just got home. What sweet little girls these were. They did great on the ride and only one showed the least bit of stress. Katie is the black & tan and Kiki is the cream - below are their pics.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

• edited November -1
    I really hope that someone can adopt them together so they will not have to be split up. Thank you for helping LJ.
  • edited November -1
    I'm glad it went well.. what sweet girls.. i hope they can stay together!
  • edited November -1
    I think they would like to keep them together - here are their petfinder pages (they've got their name mixed up right now):
    Katie's:
    http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=11458548
    Kiki's:
    http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=11458566