Neutering question

edited July 2008 in General
Hi everyone. I have a quick question about neutering. I will be getting Ishi in 2 weeks, and he will not be neutered when he gets here. I was wondering if you think it is best to have him live here for a week or two (to have some bonding time)and then have it done, or to get him neutered the day after he gets here (so we have bonding time while he is recovering). If anyone has any experience in this, I'd love to hear from you.
Thanks,
Chris

Comments

• edited November -1
    besides moving in with you, neutering will bring on even more changes and uncertainties for Ishi that might make him pretty fearful or nervous. Each dog is different, but when we get in foster dogs or adopt a new dog, we wait for a few weeks to let them get acclimated to their new life and surroundings before spaying/neutering or even training. I think creating a comfort zone for them will make all the changes a little easier.

We adopted our newer female shiba almost 3 months ago and she has not been spayed yet, b/c she wasn't very trusting of us and I think we'd have a harder time with her recovery. But she will be going mid-August, which is just about the 3 month point, and for her, it took her about that long to make a full transition in life with us...

Once you meet him and get a feel for him, you'll be able to determine what time frame he might need!! I bet you are UBER excited!
  • edited July 2008
    I can think of two sides to this story. First, my motivation for getting it done right away would be that both moving to a new home and going through surgery are very stressful on a dog and if you wait you will only be prolonging his stress. Second, my my motivation for getting it done later would be that moving to a new home and going through surgery are very stressful on a dog and if you do them both at the same time you will only increase his stress. I know that probably doesn't help much, but I guess if it were me I would do it right away and get the stressful stuff over with so the real bonding can begin.

edit: Ooops, didn't see Jen's post. I guess we disagree. Bet that makes it even easier for you. :-/
  • edited July 2008
    A few weeks wait will not hurt, but may actually improve your bond with him - I would just wait a week or two... no more than a month tho. IMO.

----
  • edited November -1
    Well, I just asked my wife and she said do it right away... so we are really not helping you much! lol

Patrice, Jessica, you guys have the most experience re-homing and fostering - what do you guys think?

----
  • edited November -1
    I don't think either way it will effect the bonding process.

However, I don't recall your location I think you said he he is being shipped in via flight etc internationally? If that is the case he will need some acclimation time for food changes, time changes, schedule etc. From a health perspective I would wait a couple of weeks to make sure he is eating, is on a schedule, and has not come in to contact with other animals during shipping (thinking kennel cough here even if he was vaccinated previously). I would however get him to the vet within the first week for a medical check and also make plans & appointment for neutering.

If he were coming to you from very close by say locally straight from breeders home, picked by you and your dog will be maintained exactly as the breeder has then it probably would not hurt to have it done first week. (Actually if this is the case I would have the breeder take him in her vet to complete the neuter and pick him up after he is all cleared to go home.)

Whatever the case you want to make sure he is medically sound and healthy before he goes in to reduce any potential for any post-surgery stress.

Snf

PS: dealing with spay/neuter for fostering shelter animals is another thing altogether and plans are made on a case by case situation and policy of the shelter and their vet recommendation. Alternatively, Tsukitsne's case her foster was in heat and most private vets will not spay a female in season and generally ask for the client to wait two months after the cycle to have all the swelling to diminish before spay occurs.
  • edited November -1
    A lot of good points have been made.

In my personal opinion however I would neuter him immediately. He has had a tremendous amount of upheaval I would be concerned about him starting to get settled and then BAM he is recovering from a neutering. If it happens early on, then it can only get better from there, and he will equate you as the person caring for him during such a yucky time.
  • edited November -1
    Thanks everyone. After hearing what everyone has to say and speaking with the vet, I think I'm going to get it done the day after I bring him home. That actually works out pretty well anyway, because after that I will have 2 weeks off of work to spend with him and go through the bonding.
  • edited November -1
    that should be a great recovery/bonding time! i can't wait to see pictures of Ishi in his new home!!
  • edited November -1
    That sounds like a great plan!