A Jindo Story

edited August 2008 in General
Yesterday I met a Korean lady who complimented me on my lovely Jindo dogs (not the first time it’s happened). Of course I explained they were shibas and we got to talking; and she told me a story that I really liked and I thought I’d share:

Long ago some guys were shipping a tiger off to a distant seaport and they wanted to make sure it didn’t starve en route. So they tossed four Jindo into the cage before they crated it up, figuring that the tiger would pick them off one by one as it got hungry. When they unpacked the cage they found the four Jindo intact and the remains of the tiger.

Of course this is a re-telling of a fairly old story, but I liked it because it demonstrates the high regard held for the animals. In fact, while they always smile politely; I’m pretty sure that a lot of Koreans don’t believe me when I tell them my dogs aren’t Jindo. Since they identify so strongly with the breed; in their mind they know a Jindo when they see one (the Japanese visitors are another story of course). Nationalism kinda weirds me out sometimes.

Anyway, there’s the story. You’ve read it on the internet, so it must be true. ;-)

Comments

• edited November -1
    That's a neat story! Thanx for sharing! :o)

Our Korean neighbor / landlord in Marietta, GA reacted similarly to Maui when she first met him. Her eyes got huge and she said (excitedly) "That dog has Jindo blood!"... She looked at me like I was retarded when I told her he was not a Jindo or Jindo mix but really was a Shiba Inu.

----
  • edited November -1
    very interesting story!

i've been doing a lot of Jindo research, and i'm planning on spending a few days with rescue jindos at the Ocean City Jindo/Shiba Rescue, an extension of the JindoProject.org, before I decide to incorporate jindos into the rescue.

They look SO similar to Nihon Ken, but i'm still apprehensive about working with them, they seems more 'wild' than a shiba, but i've only met a couple in my life so we'll see.
  • edited November -1
    The only Jindo I have ever met was the most docile dog I have possibly ever met. The dog only got excited when you got out a dehydrated Merrick meat treat for it. Other than that, she stuck to herself. Her owner would get out the leash for a walk, and she would just walk into a different room as if to say "not now, I don't need to pee."

I have heard of how protective they can be though.
  • edited November -1
    cool story,
    I don't believe it for a second, but it is nice that they have such a high regard for their national dogs. But it is a fun story.
    Totally off topic. Sorry!

Diggah: I live in honolulu, Nice to meet you! I talked to pam and she said you might know of some breeders of shiba here I could get in contact with. Would you be able to help me? Thanks.

tsukisune: Where do you live? I used to live in philadelphia for 6 years before I moved to hawaii and I grew up in pennsauken, NJ right across the bridge. Is it ocean city, NJ your going to?
    I have family that lives there as well, its very nice there.
  • edited November -1
    i live in north east pennsylvania, i'm going to be spending a 4 day weekend in ocean city, NJ to work with the jindo rescue.
  • edited November -1
    Well I have seen shy Jindos, not so shy, and more assertive ones. I think it is all about genetics and socialization. You will see different looks based on where the dog comes from in a particular community. At this point I don't think it is really consistent across the country in terms of type.

If you like Japanese breeds I would say the Jindo is extremely similar to Kishu, Hokkaido, or even Shikoku. Some even come in colors such as black or brindle like the Kai. As adults there are some that I would be hard pressed to differentiate between Hokkaido or Kishu, given they are about the same size and weight and in many cases color.

The Koreans are very proud of the breed and it is considered prestigious to own one. However, they have a different idea about training, medical, and general care than urbanized Americas. Most Koreans apply the "old school" method of care from back home from their own country. Unfortunately that is not conducive to most communities here in America and so many of the dogs end up lost, abandoned, or hauled into the shelter. (Jindos like to run and many have a high drive when young. Usually they have high endurance and are fast.) Most Jindos do not adjust to shelter life well and will either shutdown due to stress or become a bit reactive which makes them appear unfit for adoption. Shelter works are unsure what to make of their personality since 99% have not worked with them or trained any spitzy breed for that matter. Jindos have a pretty hefty bark for their size so the appear more menacing than they are.

Most Jindos are selective about what they get excited about and most do not like unknown dogs or strangers in what they consider their territory. They are pretty smart, can be wiley, and potty train pretty easily even after having lived outside.

Like many of the Asian breeds they require early and ongoing socialization with all kinds of people and other pets. Training must begin early so if there is any underlying tendency for fearfulness or aggression it can be curbed. I have seen a few live with cats, chickens/rooster and other animals without incident or problems.

I have seen quite a few that are much less tenacious than Shibas.....suffice it to say most well socialized Jindos have been pretty gentle. However, they will stand up for themselves when pushed or not respected.... Not a necessarily a characteristic that endears it to many looking for a pet in which they want their kids to be able to climb all over to play king of hill, rug tag or ear tug.

Snf
  • edited November -1
    Patrice - How is Fiona doing?

----
  • edited November -1
    I too have heard stories about shelters refusing to place Jindos; partly because of the primitive dog thing, but also because their cultural baggage has made them out to be uber-dingos with attitudes. It's too bad, I've met nice ones. :-(

Andrew- I'll dig around when I get a chance for the contact information on the breeders. One of ours came from the big island, the guy is still breeding and selling; and his dogs have papers. The other came from a local girl and a military couple who might have stopped after their first litter; their dogs didn't have papers, and actually cost a bit more. Of the two I'd recommend the big island guy first. The animal’s temperament is unbelievably good. Of course, your mileage may vary.

I'll whisper a reply when I get the info.
  • edited November -1
    Thanks diggah!
  • edited November -1
    Brad:

Fiona is doing very well and has completed her first full obedience course with her new family. They absolutely love her and that makes us all feel really good : )

She was having some picky problems with food but they switched her out to Orijens and she is filling out nicely and eating everything all the kibble up at each meal.

Snf
  • edited November -1
    Patrice - That's great news! I'm so happy things worked out well for her, she looked so cute and sweet in her pics. I know you put a lot of work in too, so that makes it extra special/pleasing to hear she is doing great. Thanx for the update!

----
  • edited November -1
    Good story. Although unlikely, I wouldn't deem it as impossible. I've read that there are old roman documents that state a Neapolitan Mastiff (or its ancestor) capable of killing anything pitted against him in a circus. Even an elephant. If I'm not mistaken tigers were included too. Of course this is ancient stuff, and might be exaggerated, but keep in mind that two Pyrenean Mountain Dogs can take care of one bear, and two Argentinian Mastiffs were enough to kill a puma. There are a number of stories about dogs killing wild animals either larger than them or in greater numbers.
  • edited November -1
    A Jindo was "MY" first dog. I must say, she was the most loyal, obedient dog I have ever owned. I didn't have much experience with the breed - never even heard of it when I adopted her. But I spent a lot of time with her, and we grew up together. She was just an amazing companion. She did have her flaws - but to me - she was awesome.

Patrice - Im so glad to hear Fiona is doing well too!