shiba essentials

I get my shiba next month and i'm trying to get all the necessites before i pick him up. I was wandering what is the best type of collar for him as a puppy and for when he is an adult. I was at Petco and saw they had the Bamboo collars, harnesses and leashes for half price. Does anyone know if they're any good. Is a martingale collar necessary to teach him not to pull. My wife has a yorkipoo who pulls to no end and i refuse to let my shiba do that. Do harnesses work well or will it mess up his look? Can anyone tell me what size collar i'll need and the measurements for a harness? I need a crate too, what size should i get? What is the best comb or brush for them? Lastly, any toy recommendations would be good. My yorkipoo has air kong tennis balls i know he'll want that she won't share, so i'll probably get some of those. I saw a tire tied to a rope, are those safe? thanks for the help. here's a picture

Comments

• edited November -1
    AWW! Super cute. I use martingale collars for both Bella and Nola, but not for pulling... It is so they do not slip out of the collar. Shibas have odd shaped heads, and can easily slip out of a buckle or snap collar. The martingale collars will tighten so they can not slip out. And they are able to be worn lose when not on lead. I also use a harness with Bella when we go hiking. That way she is a bit more secure. Have not gone out with Nola yet, as she is not fully vaccinated. As for toys, pretty much anything goes, as long as it is safe.

When we got both Bella and Nola, we used 8-12" martingale collars. But that is just an estimate, as each dog is different. I definitely do not recommend spending big bucks on a collar or harness until your pup is fully grown. As for crate, I have a 24" for Nola and a 30" for Bella. I also have a slicker brush for them, but rarely use it unless they are blowing their coats. A lot of people have praised the furminator, but I have yet to buy one.

I also recommend a good vacuum. Shibas have lots and lots of hair. :)
  • edited November -1
    As far as toys go, always supervise your pup when you live him alone with squeaker toys. I've heard horror stories of the squeakers in them falling out & the pup swallowing / choking on them. Also, try to always get a toy that your pup can't easily swallow as well. ~
  • edited November -1
    LoL Sunyata - I JUST bought a vacuum before getting Keiko... and now I'm wishing I had just shelled out the money for the dyson instead of getting the cheapy dirt devil (not that it's bad.. just... not as great).
  • edited November -1
    Haha... Yeah, good vacuums come in handy with Shibas. I have two, and the fur flies! I have resigned myself to saying that Shiba fur is the latest and greatest accessory... AND the newest condiment to hit all the five star restaurants!
  • edited November -1
    yup as stated before a good vacuum, I recomend buying a shark vac from costco, it works good and if it break in 1-2 year they let u exchange for a new one!!!!! SHark vac the ISSSSSHH!!! Cant go wrong with that.

I also Bought a metal playpen it shape like a ocatagon, dog get put in the play pen while im gone, alot more room compare to a crate, it has room to sleep , room for food and room for a pee pad too(when he was a young puppy he need the pee pad cuase had to go alot, puppys cant hold there bladers long when there young.
  • edited November -1
    Look at the link tsukitsune posted.... Good things are listed on there.
    I would certainly get a crate and or x-pen.

You can quick pick up a collar according to size once you pup gets here.

Looking forward to more pictures!
    Snf
  • edited November -1
    From my experience with Mochi you don't need to bother with beds. I bought her two beautiful beds; one for upstairs one for downstairs. She could care less about them. Prefers to sleep on the stone floor. The same goes for toys I bought. No interest. She will take a plastic water bottle as soon as the last drop is gone and loves to chew off the lable. So much for the pampered pooch.
This discussion has been closed.