Tsuki has Mange!?

Hi all!

I took Tsuki to the vet yesterday - I'm really glad I chose this particular vet. She took about an hour and a half with me discussing all my worries and really did a very thorough job with the examination.

The vet thinks Tsuki has mange! This was the first thing a friend of mine who owns a Cairn Terrier suggested when she was over the other day, so I had it in the back of my head. The vet believes this is the case because the hair loss was very sudden (about two weeks ago), and food allergies take much longer to settle in and also to go away. She also said that food allergies are the rarest allergies and that we should look for more obvious conditions first.

She did scrape tests in about four areas. She didn't find any mites, but this is apparently usually the case with mange, so about half the time the dog is treated to see how it responds before actual diagnosis. She also provided me with some antihistamines to give her twice daily. I haven't seen a huge change in her scratching with these antihistamines, so she still seems to be suffering - I hate seeing this! I still have yet to see her scratch outside our apartment, so Im definitely still going to steam the carpets. Also, she was "shaking off" a LOT this morning, at least 10-12 times in the hour before I left for work. I just want her better NOW!

Comments

• edited November -1
    Mange is totally a possibility.

Although that is the FIRST vet I have ever heard say that food allergies are UNcommon. Especially with primitive breeds who are VERY susceptible to allergies of foods not indigenous to their place of origin...
  • edited November -1
    I tried to suggest the whole primitive breed susceptibility, but she seemed kind of annoyed by my internet research and probably got the feeling I was being a know -it-all. I was just trying to help! I didnt want to step on her toes, because she assured me this treatment wouldnt have any side effects, so trying it would be harmless.

The one concern I DID have and forgot to mention is that she's sneezing too! Could that be mange-related?
  • edited November -1
    Sneezing is sounds like allergies.

And to be blunt, a good vet should be happy to have a dog owner that is concerned enough about her dogs wellbeing and took the initiative to do research. It seems very arrogant that she would not even listen to what you had to say. You were in no way stepping on her toes. Remember when you go to the vet, it is not about the vet, it is about Tsuki. It sound like your vet may have lost site of the fact that it is not about her but her patients.
  • edited November -1
    I also would not be happy if a vet seemed annoyed with me doing my own research. Even if the vet is annoyed they better keep it on the inside and hear me out. I've been through a few vets before I settled on the clinic that I go to now. This is about Tsuki, and all possibilities should be considered. Food allergies are not the least common, from what I have heard they have always seemed like the most common.
  • edited November -1
    Poor tsuki...
    I'm going to agree with jessica and brandon, all 3 of my shibas have some sort of food allergy. It might be even MORE common now than ever with Shibas because so many are poorly bred. That fact also opens up environmental allergy susceptibility - I fostered an older shiba that was very allergic to dust and had a bad reaction to air particles from an ammonia based cleaner. He seemed to sneeze forever...

I'm also agreeing that a vet should at least hear you out when you discuss YOUR dog. If you went in there and said "sorry vet you are wrong", I could understand the vet's shortness with you. We went through 3 vets before settling on the clinic we go to now for all our medical care.

On Tsuki's condition - mange (sadly) is not uncommon for rescue dogs. Especially if she had been in a shelter or a stray or in close proximity to other infected dogs. Did they say what type of mange it was? Sarcoptic mange indicates that you should not bring her within close proximity to other dogs as it is highly contagious. Demodectic mange has a lot to do with a compromised immune system, over stressed dogs or malnutrition. Demo mites are a natural occurrence on a dog until they have a compromised wellbeing, then the mites become an issue.
    I am not a professional by any means for canine health, it just occurs so often in shelter life or rescued dogs. It could have very well been the condition of the foster home she was in last (unclean), on poor food or around other dogs with less than desirable immune systems and she became adversely affected.

I hope the treatment works for her! And perhaps you can seek out a holistic vet or a second vet for a second opinion if the treatment isn't working for her as prescribed by the first vet?
    Good Luck!!!
  • edited November -1
    Its not that she didn't listen to what I had to say, she just said that there's so much information online and some of it is ok but a lot of it isn't - reminds me of college cramming. She really wasn't very arrogant about it or I wouldn't go back, besides I can't compare my experience to her's considering I've just gotten my first dog and I've only had her 6 days!

ahhhh I REALLY REALLY HOPE its not allergies, the treatments seem non-existent or not very good for allergies. Cant WAIT to get my hands on the steam cleaner and take her to my mom's house which has hardwood.
  • edited August 2008
    tsukitsune:

I suppose it really couldnt hurt to switch her to a grain-free food like wellness. I just wonder if this is all too much for my little girl - horrible skin scraping and manhandling and now a second food change!

I think I may have made the vet sound as though she was arrogant, but she really wasn't - I really feel like she wants the best for Tsuki! I also think the next time I come in I will try to talk to the shiba breeder vet-tech that works there.
  • edited November -1
    Sometimes things come across in text in a way they are not intended too, I did get the impression that the vet was talking down to you. I'm glad she wasnt.

Also switching a dog from a poor quality food to a higher quality one is never going to be too much for a dog, it's always a good move. If anything you could try adding some probiotics to her food to help ease the transition. Regular acidophilus pills (cheap at Trader Joes) or specific dog probiotics from a company such as Animal Essentials would work.
  • edited November -1
    Ill try that Brandon, love Trader Joes ^.^ !!!
  • edited November -1
    I'm glad the vet wasn't talking down to you! If you think she wants what is best for Tsuki, she is probably a good vet!

we give our dogs probiotic unsweetened plain organic yogurt (small amounts, like 1/2 tsp daily) with their meals, especially when switching kibble proteins/formulas and then now with their real foods, we always mix them in. Like Brandon said, switching her to a high quality grain free kibble will ultimately boost her well being and get her headed in the right direction! Grain allergies are one less thing to worry about!
    *I have found, too, that foods that preserve with Vitamin E (or mixed tocopherals) tend to be easier on my Tsuki who had an issue with Purina/Nutro chicken/beef formulas but handled Wellness Core (regular and ocean) just fine.

I also don't think it would hurt to give her fish oil (spray/capsules/liquid) either, it might strengthen and revive the her coat.
  • edited November -1
    I agree with all the comments. I happen to be at my Vet's office right now (I'm surfing the net and working, horray!) Doc says lots of shelter dogs and rescues are immune compromised and therefore more susceptable to having a mange superinfection (all dogs are born with demodex mites I thought). Treatment for mange depends on the type. What type of mange does your Doc suspect? Sacroptes is nasty for the dog and involves Ivermectin injections which are an icky option. Demodex involves topical ivermectin but it never goes away completly. Also, shibas and many oriental breeds are genetically predisposed to atopic dermatitis (allergies). What did your vet suggest about treatment? So sorry to hear she is so itchy.
  • edited November -1
    I would introduce one thing at a time though. It is important to change to good food, and it might take you a while to find the right stuff (ask dave!). Change food, get the system used to it (may not be ably problem, never has been with my pups) and then the oil, and then the acidophilus...
  • edited November -1
    acidophilus can help with food transitions though, especially from grain to grain free food
  • edited November -1
    See, I dont know it ALL, but most of it...heheh
    BTW what does ably mean? I wrote it and I have no idea what it means!
  • edited November -1
    i don't know what ably means either! LOL! I think my brain skipped right over that word the first time around!

You are allowed... Elijah is stealing your spelling while you sleep.
  • edited November -1
    Poor Elijah is getting blamed for a lot! What am I going to do when he is born? Post-partum idiocy?
  • edited November -1
    LOL! my step sister (and bff) had her baby in november, she still blames the baby - except now "the pump" helps Julia (the baby) keep stealing her memory.

But I'm sure post-partum idiocy works just as much.
  • edited November -1
    So I started switching Tsuki to Orijen (I believe it is ocean, the first ingredient is salmon) gradually with some acidophilous from Trader Joe's and I also added a 1000 mg fish oil capsule with each feeding (so two a day).

The antihistamines prescribed by my vet dont have much of an effect on the itching. If what I read online is correct, the effect of the ivermectin shot for mange should have worked in a few days - its been nearly four days. My vet did not tell me which type she suspected.

The odd thing is that the itching comes in bursts. For instance, on Sunday, she sat under the couch for FOUR HOURS (haha, very low energy) without itching one - the couch is so low she can only barely lay under it. When she finally came out, I walked her to my friend's house which has low office-like carpet that has never been chemically cleaned (I used to live there so I know for sure) and she immediately started scratching. I have yet to see Tsuki itch outside.

It feels like we've been together forever but its literally been 8 days - I guess I've just spent so much time worrying! Maybe this is all the result of stress, poor hygiene, and bad diet and that she needs some recovery time. I was just checking out photos of other shibas and her coat is just in miserable shape! This couldnt have been my doing in just 8 days ):
  • edited November -1
    I don't know a lot about curing mange, but you really are heading in the right direction in doing what is best for her. Bad skin conditions are something that can take weeks, possibly months to fully get under control as you and your vet work through different possibilities. Her new healthy diet will no doubt help her along the way.
  • edited November -1
    You are certainly headed in a good direction with Tsuki, if nothing else you are providing her a basis for her health and well being with a steady permanent home, companionship with you, good hygiene, warmth, exercise and a great diet. She may just need time to adjust to the good life!

If its any consolation, we've had our newest addition Hachi for about 3.5 months now and we're just starting to see her coat come back to life. It was hard and brittle and gray (she's a Black and tan too) when we got her. She's been on a grain free diet with probiotics and fish oil since day one, we even had her on some raw foods and her teeth are beautiful, she had the quickest spay surgery recovery (this past week) and her COAT! It is beautiful, its black and shiny and getting softer with every pet. She has blown out a lot of the gray, and it continues to come in clumps, but its getting there!

I guess you should be forewarned that once her skin and coat condition begin to improve, you will probably have a big shedder on your hands for a while!

Keep us updated!
  • edited November -1
    Im so glad to see Hachi make such an amazing improvement! Its certainly reassuring to hear about these possibilities. I saw a photo on Flickr once, of a Shiba sitting next to a basketball-sized furball and yearn for this experience!
  • edited November -1
    Careful what you wish for. It may seem fun now, but when you've got furballs covering every inch of your house and clothes its a bit annoying. ;-)