my tyler decide to eat up half a.....

edited August 2008 in Shiba Inu (柴犬)
lizard, my tyler came back from my backyard with a lizard in his mouth, it was half eatten up, he drop it right on the kitchen floor. The lizard was pretty big too it like probaly 5-6 inches long and Tyler ate up half his body. It was gross, I just hope he doesn't get sick.

Comments

• edited November -1
    He brought you his prized kill! What a good boy.
  • edited November -1
    Loa regularly eats lizards - Ahi too - he will be fine. Juts a little snack. :o)

----
  • edited November -1
    lol! He was like, "Look what I did Daddy! :D"~
  • edited November -1
    Oh these cat-like breeds!

Luckily I have never had to deal with Bella bringing me anything. However, once there was a dead robin in the yard, and she barked at it until I cleaned it up. Yuck.
  • edited August 2008
    Our tiny pack goes after geckos and lizards when it’s sunny, and cockroaches and lord knows what else when it is dark. One day we were taking a morning stroll when we were accosted by a chameleon that must have had more testosterone than blood flowing in his veins. He jumped right in the middle of the sidewalk, planted his feet, and started to display. If you’ve never seen it, they kind of puff up their chests like bull frogs, and stick out this red thing from under their throats which looks a bit like a comb on a chicken. The overall effect is to try and show the whole world what a big bad lizard looks like.

This is fine and well, but this guy is maybe eight inches long and no match for a shiba (let alone two of them). Moach was the first to do the math; and he went for it. Inexplicably; I pulled back on his lead just as he pounced. Mochi was suspended by his collar, his front paws were off the ground, and every fiber of his being was focused on getting that lizard into his belly. He was practically on top of the little guy, and I figured “let’s give him three steps”. Justice tempered with mercy; and a little Lynard Skynard to boot; what can I say, I was in a weird mood.

But it gets weirder, the lizard didn’t run; he didn’t even blink. He kept right on displaying while casting a cold stare straight down my dog’s throat. Three seconds turned into at least a minute as I held the predator at bay. I had a dilemma on my hands. I admired the stones on the chameleon, but I also didn’t want to get on Charles Darwin’s shit list. I had given him a chance to run, but instead his tiny reptile brain decided to write a check that his tiny green butt could never cash.

The other issue was that both creatures were simply running their genetic code and were basically being true to their character. A tiny wolf was being confronted by a microscopic dinosaur, and neither of them got where they are today by backing down; so who was I to intervene? It was the Bhagavad-Gita being played out all over again. I could have let go of the lead and let nature take her course, but I then why did hold him back in the first place? It’s not like I don’t kill stuff, but I’m very principled. I only do it when I’m hungry and/or annoyed; never to enforce the order of the cosmos, that’s just messed up.

Two minor points added to my quandary. One, I was home sick with a flu and feeling a bit out of sorts; light headed, fuzzy, and just plain funky. And two, this event took place directly in front of the Palolo Kwannon temple; and while I don’t prescribe to the faith, I don’t want my dogs eating any bodhisattvas if I can avoid it.

I looked around; and poor Koda was just as confused as I was. She was just a puppy, but surprisingly she sat at the end of a loose lead taking it all in. She could have easily snuck in and snarfed down the lizard while my head was sifting thought this conundrum, but she didn’t. She seemed as confused as I was, but she was also just as intensely interested in the outcome as any of the other parties involved. I realized that I would have to make a call, pull the dog back and turn around; or slack up on the lead and wrestle Mochi for the carcass. Neither really felt right to me and my head spun some more. Moach and the lizard were both transfixed and unrelenting, I could have been their all day . . .

Thankfully, I received direction and guidance from above. Normally this involves firing up my GPS receiver; but on this occasion a pair of Mynah birds were kind enough to serve as emissaries between heaven and earth. They landed right on the curve and seemed to be enjoying the show. To have a bird land less than three feet from my dogs is highly unusual, so you can imagine how shocked I was when one of them sized up the situation, walked up behind the lizard, and snatched it off the sidewalk not six inches from my dog’s muzzle. As they flew off the other bird called out in a manner that was indistinguishable from laughter to me. Moach turned around and looked at me, his eyes were gleaming. He was wearing the exact expression on his face that I must have had when as a child my older cousins showed me what a bottle rocket was for. Awe, reverence, and exhilaration were all rolled into one package. He was beaming the whole way home, Koda and I followed him; taking with us both a profound confusion as well as a sense of relief.
  • edited November -1
    Diggah - Great story telling!! You need to write a book for me to read about your dogs, that was so vivid! :o)
  • edited November -1
    wow that was a good story!!!! Least I know tyler not the only one!!!
  • edited November -1
    LOL, Diggah. That was very entertaining.
  • edited November -1
    Diggah, that was exceptional story telling! I actually made my husband sit down so I could read your story to him and we both LOVED it, especially the Lynrd Skynrd, Bhagavad-Gita and tiny bodhisattvas. You made my night.
  • edited November -1
    tell us more, Diggah, tell us more!
  • edited November -1
    Nice skills, Diggah. Writing skills, that is.
  • edited November -1
    I wish I could make up stories like that, then I wouldn't have to spend so much time waiting for weird stuff to happen. :0)
  • edited November -1
    LOL! You crack me up every time, Diggah! Great story!
  • edited November -1
    Nice narrative! I was laser focused on reading it just like Mochi must have been on that gecko. :-)
  • edited November -1
    Diggah, you need your own thread of anecdotes :)~
This discussion has been closed.