Chew Toys

edited September 2008 in General
I just want to give Tsuki something chewable to keep her occupied because she has to be off her steroids for her inhalant allergies for a few weeks so she can get her testing done. ): This means she is constantly scratching!

The Kong solid rubber ball is too large and hard for her to chew on so she wants to play fetch with it.

The dental Kong ball is good for putting treats into and is softer, but she still wont chew on it. The food I put in it takes her only about 10 minutes to remove.

I've considered regular kong chew toys but she isnt a strong chewer and they are sooo hard.

I gave her a greenie and instead of chewing on it, she ate it in 20 seconds.

I've considered Nylabones but I can't decide if they're safe enough.

Any more recommendations? Rawhide is out for me, Im a veggie and I don't want it dragged across the carpet.

Comments

• edited November -1
    These have been talked about on here, I almost got one last night, but I had just got a big smoked bone for Nemo:

http://www.himalayandogchew.com/
  • edited November -1
    Also making a mixture of yogurt, peanut butter, and possibly fruit or dog food and freezing it inside of a kong can make the entertainment last longer. I believe there are websites that have a lot of kong "stuffing" recipes.
  • edited November -1
    Nylabones are pretty safe, you just need to watch her with it (like all toys) - they are made from non-toxic materials. Make sure you get one that is age appropriate also. They have a new Rhino line that I've been pretty happy with - part of it is soft and I stuff small treats into it to encourage the use of it.
  • edited November -1
    You can freeze food items stuffed inside kongs.

I use Himalayan dog chews with my Shiba. They last a hella long time and are less hard then nylabones but harder then greenies. The neat thing is that they are whittled down in pea sized flakes so no big chunks get broken off. I usually throw away the end piece but Beebe has digested it without problem. I gave some greyhound and Pitbull friends the dog chews, the greyhound still has hers several days later. The Pit finished hers in about 2 hours (which is still remarkable).

I like the souper sized flexible Nylabone chew with chicken flavor, the shiba hasn't demolished it but really enjoys it when she is having her allergy flares.

Good luck!
  • edited November -1
    I meant to say yesterday to freeze the stuff in the kong. My mistake.
  • edited November -1
    I've got to buy those himalayan chews - just need to find a store that carries them
  • edited November -1
    Akira does not chew his King but drops it on the floor and put his tongue in it and it keeps him pretty occupied. I've also bought him a big orage ball in which you can put the dog's kibble or treats and he was to work hard to get the stuff inside.

I am vey warry of greenies since they can cause blocage http://www.kirotv.com/investigations/5325021/detail.html

I don't like smoked bone because they can splinter, raw bones are safer.

Also I often bring Akira to the store so that he can pick up his toys himself because sometimes I think that he will like something and in the end he does not.
  • edited November -1
    Niko doesnt chew the kong. She throws it up and drops it waiting for stuff to fly out, over and over and over.
  • edited November -1
    Went out and got a Nylabone! She's chews very gently, so I'm not concerned, I will just keep checking it for damage. Thanks for the advice guys!
  • edited November -1
    I picked up one of the Himalayan Dog Chews for Nemo yesterday when I was getting him a new bag of food. He really loves it, but it doesn't seem like it will last as long as I would like for the price, $10. I am guessing he will get about 10 hours worth of chewing out of it, which is a $1 per hour. I can buy him a big smoked bone for $1, that will probably last him 100 hours.
  • edited November -1
    the Himalayan dog chew did not last long here. We were recently given some deer antlers. Still going strong!!!