vaccination cost

I was trying to make an appointment for my 11 week old Kiyoshi to get his 2nd set of shots with the same vet my wife uses for our Yorkipoo. they said he would need a booster and a rabies shot for $19.50 a piece and an exam fee of $35. I thought that was kind of pricey so i called somewhere else and they told me it would be $25 for the booster and he should wait until he's 16 weeks to get his rabies shot so he won't need two. there wouldn't be any exam fee either. I was wandering what is a reasonable price to pay for shots and does it matter if i take him somewhere other than his regular vet. also, about the 2nd vet saying to wait until 16 weeks for his rabies shot, is this true? thanks

Comments

• edited November -1
    Rabies is supposed to be given at 16 weeks. I have never heard of giving one before that age and I work in the field. When giving a Rabies shot, your pet should get a full physical exam, that is the law in Michigan at least. I've seen some places charge way more than that, I think those prices sound reasonable.
  • edited November -1
    I have never heard of anyone trying to give a rabies vaccination before 16 weeks. In Virginia, they have to wait until at least 16 weeks. And ditto with Kelly on the exam. The prices sound fairly reasonable.

But I would be a bit wary of going to a vet who suggests a rabies shot at 11 weeks.
  • edited November -1
    I agree. 11 weeks is way to young. You could try your local Petco or PetSmart. They probably have vaccination day's once a month or so, they might be a little less, but $19 and $25 are really reasonable.
  • edited November -1
    Both Portia and Ninja were 16 weeks when their first Rabies shot. Portia got her 3 year Rabies shot at the beginning of the year..I think it was 15.00. I think for vaccinations 10-20 dollars is reasonable. For physical exams I think 30-50 is reasonable.
  • edited September 2008
    Ours have cost us a considerable amount more than that... $40 per vaccination and $45 per visit. We go to a very reputable vet in the area, and considering where we live costs are going to be higher anyway. I know I could get it for less... but for my peace of mind I'm willing to splurge the extra $15 or so per visit.

That's not to say you shouldn't try to find what the 'going' price is.

Someone else pointed out in a thread about spaying/neutering - looking for bargain vet service may not be in the best interest of your pet.
  • edited November -1
    I know vet prices in Portland and Seattle tend to be a little higher, but those prices you gave were very fair. We do the first 1 year rabies around 5 months. I think it is better for the pet, and easier for the owners and their vet, if they just get everything done at their vet instead of shopping all around for selected services. That way all the records of vaccination are in one spot and you avoid duplicating vaccines or prescriptions.
  • edited November -1
    Lindsay - Yeah, we're not even getting 1st rabies until 6 months when we get spayed and chipped - per recommendation from the vet.
  • edited November -1
    I think it is so much friendlier on the ears (and the dog) to do the chipping when they are asleep for surgery, it's nice you're getting it all done in one go.
  • edited November -1
    We rescued Sasha and she didnt have a chip. They took her back and it didnt faze her a bit, but I think needles just dont affect her. I was a bigger mess than she was, especially since they took her back without me!
  • edited November -1
    It's really difficult to find a vet that will implant the chip. I checked on the homeagain website to find a vet and the vets that were listed no longer offered microchipping!!! Crazy!
  • edited November -1
    I just had Ninja get all his vaccinations done today, since he was due for his bordatella...I just had them do all the vaccinations including the 3 year rabies since those were all going to be due in Dec and it doesn't hurt to get them early. My total was $118.00 today including the exam.
  • edited November -1
    Barbara really? My vet basically insists on it with all their dogs.
  • edited November -1
    our vet won't offer to do it unless you ask for it (chipping). They don't advertise or anything for the chips. I always thought that odd but whatever, they do a great job with everything else.
  • edited November -1
    I thought all vets did microchips, it's just weird to know that they don't. I know shelters do chips and you can go to the Humane Society as well in some areas for low cost or free microchips. They shouldn't cost more than $40 and your vet should send your registration papers in for you now, unless you are told otherwise (just make sure it gets done.)
  • edited November -1
    Kiyoshi got his second set of shots today and he's acting weird. He is sleeping a lot and whenever i go to pick him up or move him at all he starts crying. is this normal?
  • edited November -1
    A reaction to vaccinations is not uncommon. Usually, if they feel kinda icky, they may be lethargic. It is also not uncommon to have some localized sensitivity which may account for the screaming. If it doesn't get better by tomorrow, I'd call the vet to ask their opinion.
  • edited November -1
    I'm with Dave. Let us know who it goes.
  • edited November -1
    I always give my pups a benadryl with their vaccinations because they (especially Niko) have a unfortunate reaction.
  • edited November -1
    he's seems to be better now and back to his evil ways. the shot he got says it was distemper parvo/lepto puppy vacc #2. i've read that lepto isn't really necessary and can sometimes cause very bad reactions. should i skip that next time or do you guys think he needs it?
  • edited November -1
    That picture is a riot.
  • edited November -1
    rofl
  • edited November -1
    I've been having a hell of a time finding a vet to do it. I finally found one, but I'm supposed to be a resident of that county to get it. I'm in the process of begging them and asking if I could pay more. I'll have to try the city.

Heem: Dave is right. Side affects of vaccinations are not uncommon. That's true for humans too.
  • edited September 2008
    If you take your pet outdoors and said pet as access to any type of sitting water, I would give the Lepto vaccine. The only dog I would not give a Lepto shot to is one that lives indoors, never goes outside and uses potty pads. Lepto is transmitted through urine of wild animals like raccoons and skunks and is usually picked up from your pet drinking out of puddles or standing water. Is causes kidney failure and is expensive to treat. If you give your pet Benedryl prior to a vaccine that will eliminate the possibility of a reaction. But talk to your vet first about the dosage. Lepto is the only vaccine I give my dogs every year. I do the other ones every 3 years and don't do the Bordatella.
  • edited November -1
    I think most pets are not necessarily overvaccinated, but vaccinated for the wrong things. Most dogs don't need Lepto, corona, or giardia vaccines. It all depends on where you live and what you do. I advise people, especially outdoorsy active or hunting dogs that are out in the woods and more exposed to wild animals and drinking scummy pond water to vaccinate with lepto. It also depends on what part of the country you are in, so you should check to see if it is recomended in your area. Hope that helps.
This discussion has been closed.