Anal sacs...again! *groan*

Jan just got an anal sac infection, one side's all swollen up. This is the 4th time this has happened. The hair on her butt hasn't even grown back from the last time, where the vet had to slice it open...I tried to express it myself but Jan just wouldn't let me, she yelped and ran off each time. Now she's refusing to come near me.
This really sucks cuz I'm staying at my friend's place due to a fire at my house and they have another terrier who plays very well with Jan, but after getting this fixed up she won't be able to play for a while.
Strangely enough, my friend's terrier also gets anal sac infections often. Maybe it's typical for terriers.

Comments

• edited November -1
    Oh man, that sucks. I hope Jan gets better quickly.
  • edited November -1
    yucky! Get well soon, Jan!
  • edited November -1
    Thanks guys.

She can barely lay down without yelping. :( It's always so painful for her. At least after tomorrow's vet visit she'll feel a bit better.
  • edited November -1
    Would it help at all if the glands were removed? Her bum sounds so painful. I hope she feels better.
  • edited November -1
    My voice teacher also has a terrier who has anal gland issues. I don't know enough about terriers to say whether they are predisposed to it or not, but you aren't alone, though I doubt that's much consolation.

I hope Jan is well soon.
  • edited November -1
    The dog I used to have with the same issues was a JRT, so maybe terriers are disposed toward it...

Hope Jan gets better soon.
  • edited November -1
    Poor baby....is that a puppy version of a hemorrhoid?
    awww!
  • edited November -1
    I'm just about to take her to the vet. She's laying in the backyard in the sun. Wish us luck!
  • edited November -1
    Ok, got back from the vet. The sac ruptured when they squeezed it. Blood and fluids are dripping steadily from her bum, and she's trying to lick it away. She did manage to lick it some before I noticed and stopped her, and now she's constantly licking her jaws and anything in front of her, it's weird...
    And my friend's dog is also trying to lick her wound.
  • edited November -1
    What does the vet say about the reoccurence of this problem?
  • edited November -1
    She said to feed more fiber and have them emptied every month. I've tried more fiber before, didn't really seem to help. A last case resort would be to remove the glands completely.
  • edited November -1
    Awww. Poor girl. I hope she mends quickly. What are the arguments against removal? Why is the last resort?
  • edited November -1
    It is the last resort because it may affect fecal continence.

I went out for a few hours and came back to find the sheets on my bed thrown off, and my bed was covered in dog hair, blood and gland discharge...lovely...that's what you get when you sleep with your dog for a few weeks in a hotel and then come back to the reality of her sleeping in a dog bed...
  • edited November -1
    If she has fecal incontinence she can wear some snazzy pooch pads with ribbons and bows. People will think she's cute.