Define: "Primitive" dog/breed [Part 2]

2»

Comments

• edited November -1
    Agreed, and that means something coming from a guy who lives with nearly a dozen dogs which singularly are classified as a difficult breed!!!
    And I also very much enjoy this learning and growing environment!
  • edited November -1
    Same here...I mean, I still need to lead my dogs - have them look up to me for guidence and respect me. I guess a lot of this is attained when your dog has trust in you. One does not get respect and trust by dominating them, if anything you loose both and then you either make your dog fearful or more reactive.

-----------------
    Hmm...what do you think? ---> back to "Primitive" topic.

"During most of the history of our civilization, before modern man's introduction of show standards, the breeds were different from those we know today. Far back, when survival of the fittest was the rule for both man and dog, dogs performed functions crucial to man's survival. Dogs hunted with humans and protected them and their homes from predators and robbers. They guarded caravans and herds, participated in wars, and served as companions. Working ability and health were valued over appearance, and people easily understood a good hunting dog over a bad one. Those dogs perceived to perform better than the rest at hunting or herding, for example, were more likely to be rewarded. As a result, these dogs had a better chance of surviving to mate, so their genes got passed down. Over time, dog behavior was shaped.

Breeds that while domesticated are still close in appearance, temperament, and hunting style to the aboriginal (local native) dogs of 15,000 years ago are labeled as primitive."

- California Karelians - About Primitive breeds of dog (you can read further if you like, there is more.)