Alert on Chicken Jerky for dogs

Here is the latest on Chicken Jerky. It is amazing how many products come from China. It always pays to look at the packaging details before purchase.

http://www.fda.gov/cvm/CVM_Updates/ComplaintsChicJerky.htm

Snf

Comments

• edited November -1
    That is so scary. I am buying a food dehydrator this month dammit. There is no reason to buy the stuff.
  • edited November -1
    Thanks so much for posting this Patrice! :) ~
  • edited November -1
    Although it doesn't really apply here (only because so far I haven't found any meat jerky) I too want to get a food dehydrator. It will provide us and the kids with great healthy treats!

Thanks Patrice!
  • edited November -1
    Thanks Patrice...I dont always remember to check where things come from. So freaking scary!
    Jess-you HAVE to get a dehydrator. My mom ruined mine and I think this is the next one we are getting. LOVE getting a case of fruit and dehydrating. Niko loves banana chips.
    http://www.urbanhomemaker.com/productcart/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=345
  • edited November -1
    OK here is something I have no clue about.....how does a dehydrator work? From the picture is looks like a jewelry box. If it is an oven wouldn't a regular over work just as well? I don't spend a great deal of time cooking so this is all new to me.
    When you get a chance to use it report back...... I am really curious about it. : )

Snf
  • edited November -1
    For what I know, it passes hot air (at about 70º Celsius) trough the trays. A few hours of that will dry thinly sliced food.
  • edited November -1
    Thanks for the alert Patrice.

Re: dehydraters- when gas ovens used to have pilot lights, you could put thin strips of meat in it overnight and have jerky the next morning.
  • edited November -1
    Dehydrators use low temp and air circulating to remove excess moisture from the food.
  • edited November -1
    OMG! Something Patrice...doesn't know about! [ not that I know about them either lol ]

I never thought I'd live long enough to see this day ;) lol ~
  • edited November -1
    I've always wanted a dehydrator, so this is the perfect excuse!!!

When I had pet rats I would eat half of the Banana chips I bought for them for treats!! Bad daddy lol :o)
  • edited November -1
    lol Evan, I hope Keiko & Belle don't have to worry about Daddy eating their treats? ;) ~
  • edited November -1
    lol Osy... I have to say the first time I smelled the Venison Jerky treats... I was SO tempted to try them!!! I didn't... but I certainly was tempted!
  • edited December 2008
    Evan, they are human grade I think, you could give it a whirl.

So, I know the Costco Kingdom pets brand chicken jerky are bad news and come from China.

This is what my Solid Gold distributor told me about why they don't offer a chicken based meal for their dogs or chicken treats. There is not a large enough supplier of organic free range no hormone/antibiotic human grade chicken in the US to make jerky strips and a meal that would not be astronimically expensive. Think about that when you next buy chicken from the store for yourself. It is most likley not going to be organic, free range and hormone/antibiotic free fit for human consumption without being really expensive.

The only economical way for any dog food company to market a free range, organic, chemical free chicken meal or treat is to raise the chicken overseas in US run factories or sacrifice quality and raise it here. That's where China comes in I guess. I really like the Dogswell Chicken jerky and I buy it from them, they do raise the chicken in China but under stricter guidelines than would be if it were US raised.

The other thing about chicken in the US is that there is apparently higher amounts of arsenic in it which leads to bladder cancer. I would prefer to raise my own but I don't live on a farm anymore.