Indoor Training

edited January 2009 in General
Please don't think I'm strange, crazy or don't know what the heck I'm doing. I honestly would like some simple advise. For 13 years, I've owned labrador retrievers. We have a large acreage so they are predominantly outdoor dogs (with a large kennel and shelter, of course). They go wherever we do and every now and then they would be allowed to come inside the house in the evenings to hang out with us. So I've never had to deal with "leaving a dog in the house alone" issue.

Three months ago, I adopted a Shiba Inu as an indoor dog. He is absolutely wonderful, fits our personalities, lifestyle, brings so much enjoyment and love, etc. He is let outside in the AM, lunch and PM to do his "duty". Otherwise, he's inside following me everywhere! During the time that we are not at home, he has a kennel which is approx. 28x28x36. He has never pottied in the kennel nor the house (while we are home). He also sleeps in this kennel at night. We are very much a routine family so he's adapted very well.

My question is, I'd like to get to where he's not in the kennel during the day. I think he'd enjoy his "alone" time more if he was able to have some more room to play and enjoy himself. HOW DO I DO THIS? I'm thinking just pick a room however should it be the bathroom with tile or an extra bedroom or what? I just don't want to have to deal with cleaning up the soiled carpet, etc. Plus, we are in the process of selling our home so I have to think about the showings. I'm leaning towards our bathroom which is quite large and tiled. I prefer to have a gate instead of shutting the door also.

Am I on the right track? I want to do what's best for him and make sure he's happy but also don't want to come home to a mess every night that's why I'm leaning towards one room during the day access.

Comments

• edited November -1
    Try an expen in the kitchen area or something. I have heard these work really well.
  • edited November -1
    Tiled/linoleum would be easiest, not that the kiddo would poo/pee, but more likely be interested in tearing up the carpet for entertainment! Use a baby gate or expen, otherwise it kind of shuts the dog out from the family if it's behind a door and leads them to scratching/chewing at the door which you wouldn't want. My shibas mostly just sleep when no one is around, after the intial investigation for food items and new toys I may have hidden, they're kinda lazy when they aren't being mischiveous.
  • RyuRyu
    edited November -1
    If you go the x-pen route, get the metal kind. We went with a soft-sided version and Ryu (and then Mika!) quickly figured out how to undo the velcro to escape. Friggin' smart Shibas.

We transitioned from the crate to the bathroom then to the tiled kitchen. I still don't feel comfortable letting the dogs roam free when no one is home. But I am really paranoid after Ryu found an Excedrin Migraine bottle (which was in a zippered purse, inside of a closet, in our master bedroom when he was gated in the kitchen!). We probably won't let them roam free until both are 2 years old (July 2010) :D
  • edited November -1
    Thanks for the advise! I went out and purchased a baby gate and feel that our bathroom is probably the best place. It's approx. 6x10 and tiled so he should be fine. I guess I'll just have to graduate to the trust factor when he's an adult. At night time however, he's going to have to stay in his kennel. My husband gets up too many times in the night for him to worry about a baby gate (then again, maybe I should train him????)
  • edited November -1
    Even as your Shiba ages, I would never put full trust in a Shiba to roam a house freely alone. There is waaay too many things that a dog could get into and ruin out of boredom. You'd be surprised what a Shiba can do, chew through wood and walls, rip carpets.
  • edited November -1
    As a real estate agent, I would NOT be happy with a listing where a dog was left in the house alone - crated or not. I would really try to get your Shiba out of the house during showings. You don't want your agent to show the house with a dog barking or whining or garnering attention from prospective buyers. You want the showing to be relaxing and memorable. If they're dog people, they might only remember the dog. NOT GOOD. If your pup is barking or whining, well it's obvious why that's not good.

I suggest taking your Shiba to Doggy Daycare on show days.