Small "runt" problems??

edited March 2009 in Shiba Inu (柴犬)
Since we are new to the shiba puppy experience, I was hoping to get some experienced opinions on puppy growth. Out of the litter we are getting our pup from (they are 4 wks old currently) there is only 2 real choices for us. A red male and a sesame male. I like both, but Jeremy is VERY keen to the red male. He said he "just had a feeling" the 1st time he held him that he was the one. Jeremy has never owned a dog, so I think it's important to follow these 'instincts' for him, especially to help with bonding. And I really dont mind either pup since both of their little personalities are great thus far.

Here's my dilemma....
The red boy was the last born and visibly the smallest of the litter. Both the father and fathers mother are on the small end for their size so I wasn't to suprised initially. I was a bit concerned about the rumors of health concerns with runts, but the breeder assurred me he is by no means a 'runt'. She said he is smaller than the others but real runts are very very small and not just slightly smaller. She also pointed out that a 4 pup litter is on the larger size for a shiba so that may have been a factor as well.
Well when we saw them yesterday, we observed that he is just a bit behind the others (by a couple days) in developement. The others were bounding around while he was still a bit shakey on his feet and still had much more of the puppy waddle. He is also much more shy and scared than the others, but will still play and interact just fine.

Should I be concerned about this 'littler' puppy? I'm just mostly concerned about health issues (hips and such) and possibly temperment (too shy due to being the 'little one'). Is it a possibility he just got less nutrients in the womb while competing with the others? Do you think this would effect him in the long run?

I asked the breeder these things and she said all should be fine, that again he is just the smallest but by no means the 'runt'. I'm I just being paranoid?

Comments

• edited November -1
    They growth potential in dogs is such that a pup that is small will in many cases catch up with the others in a litter over time and in some cases surpass it's siblings.

If you are dealing with a reputable breeder I would not be too concerned as long as it is healthy to begin with. Good temperament is really important and if the parents have a nice nature then you are on the right track.

Snf
  • edited November -1
    Thank you for the input snf. The parents do have a great temperament. I'm mostly just paranoid about health.

I'm surprised no one else had any input....where is everybody??
  • edited November -1
    I was holding Micah when I read this thread and forgot to come back to it :P

Honestly, I think you're being paranoid..but that's not saying there's anything wrong with that. It's good to be cautious. But I think in this case you should relax. Every litter will have a pup that's bigger than everyone and smaller than everyone. Not every pup will come out exactly the same size. Personal experience, I've had more health issues with the ones not the smallest than the smallest. And as the breeder said, he's not a runt..just smaller than the rest.
  • edited November -1
    To be honest...catching up on the 50 million threads from today.

The only runt that I ever had was my siberian husky - he ended up being the biggest out of the litter.I haven't dealt with puppies in almost 20 years, so I was letting others speak from their experience.
  • edited November -1
    My mom's Shiba, Sadie was the runt of the litter. Her brother was at least twice her size when they were pups. She is now 7 and in perfect health. She has never experienced any physical or emotional problems and weighs about 22 lbs. now. I wouldn't worry at all about the littlest red male puppy.
  • edited November -1
    Sometimes having a big puppy is not a good thing! Toby and his brother were very fat and heavy as puppies ( 2 puppies in the litter = fat puppies ). Now Toby weighs 40lbs. :)
  • edited November -1
    thank you all for your input. this is really easing my mind about that boy not having health problems later. I know Jeremy has his heart set on him, and I'm quite fond of him as well.
This discussion has been closed.