Food,bathing and toys

edited March 2009 in General
What type of food, shampoo, and toys would you recommend for our new Shiba?

Comments

• edited November -1
    Check out this food thread: http://www.nihonken.org/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=1665
    There is a lot of information on it.

Shampoo - I really only bathe my shibas when needed, which usually comes down to 2-3 times a year if we're lucky. Last month I bought Solay Pets Natural Dog Shampoo (travel size!) and I love it. It smells so fresh, like a beach, and is gentle and natural.

Toys - I like Tuffies, anything by Kong, planet dog, and fleece tugs (found at rescuemetugz.com)
  • edited November -1
    I use Johnson's baby shampoo when we do bathe Jazz - that only happens a couple of times a year.

As far as toys, I have a lot of Nylabone, a devil cuz (Thanks Chad & Rachael), tons of cheap squaky stuffed animals that Jazz disembowels.
  • edited November -1
    LJ - Haha I'm cheap, we buy store brand baby shampoo lol.
  • edited November -1
    Thanks guys for the comments. I was looking at the Orijen brand kibble to feed as well as doing some RAW foods and something like NV or something as well. My question in regards to Orijen is about the protein. I noticed its got very high protein rating and may be too much for puppies. Is this true for the Shiba's? Would i be better off mixing Orijen with a lower protein kibble? Thanks.
  • edited November -1
    Orijen has a puppy formula you can start with.
  • edited March 2009
    Toys I got for Toby are Good/Bad Cuz, Tug N Jug, Busy Buddy, Coleman Tough Dinosaur squeaky plush toys, cheap stuffed animals, Kong.
    I also love Nylabone -- but if you get them, make sure that you watch your dog with those. Toby ate the plastic ones in chunks and pooped them out days later. It was ... kinda gross. x(

I also avoid toys with tennis ball green material stuff on them. Toby had a squeaker tennis ball months ago and stripped the green part off and ate that. D:
  • edited November -1
    Tetsu loves stripping tennis balls, I switched him to hand balls and he loves how they are chewier. My guys love the liver Nylabone, especially the ones at other peoples houses. They go nuts for squeaky toys and anything that rattles. We operated on a stuffed animal and inserted a jingling cat ball, as well as removed potential hazards(plastic eyeballs). We've recently started using peanut butter filled kongs, and the dogs go nuts for it (no pun intended). We've been mixing in bits of kibble to give it that extra crunch and it makes them work harder for it.

We were using generic baby shampoo, but experimented with a dog shampoo and have found it to be better. I have only bathed Tetsu twice since we got him(8 months ago), and Tikaani once. Basically whenever hey really needed it, as when you pat them and dust would fly off their coats.

For food, I made a list of every brand stocked at the local pet stores and researched which were better. We give a mix of Nutro Natural Choice Puppy and Wellness Puppy
  • RyuRyu
    edited November -1
    I recommend Earthbath for shampoo - we use Mango Tango and Puppy.. we love it!
  • edited November -1
    +1 to Earthbath. Great stuff. ~
  • edited March 2009
    for food, i am currently feeding her holistic eage pack and royal canine but i am going to switch to wellness once she is done with her current food.

I have the furminator shampoo. havent even used it though. as far as toys goes, my shiba like ropes, nylon bones, animal squeaky toys. i just got the durable nylon bone but my shiba is chewing through it and shes made a big mess a few times.

side note, is there a stronger nylon bone then the durable one?
  • edited November -1
    William, have you tried the Nylabone Galileo? That has worked fairly well for my two. Instead of demolishing it in a day, it takes them a couple of weeks to grind it down.
  • edited November -1
    My dogs get deer antlers for chew treats. They last forever.