Is my puppy small?

When I got my little angel Kitsu, the breeder told me she was probably going to be a small dog, because she was so much smaller than her brothers and sisters. She is now on her way to 6 months old and weighs 11lbs. The vet says she's a healthy weight, I was just wondering how much other pups weighed at this age...is she smaller than average for her age?

Comments

• edited November -1
    My Skippy was the runt of his litter. The breeder spoon fed him for 2 months. At 6 months of age he was only 12 pounds. He's now 10 months old and weighs 19 pounds. She might get to a growth spurt, however I really have enjoyed having a smaller Shiba for the house. Good luck and DON'T WORRY!
  • edited November -1
    I wish I could help, but I really don't remember how big Tsuki was then.. I want to say probably between 11-13lbs, but I never recorded it so I have no idea... maybe its on my old vet records? I'll go look when I'm home.

She did go through these funny awkward growth stages, though. Its only in the last 6 months or so (she'll be 2 in June) that she looks proportioned correctly.. she's still smaller in stature, but at a healthy 17lbs.
  • edited November -1
    I think Nola was around 12 lbs at 6 months when she was spayed. But I will have to check the vet record to be 100% sure.
  • edited November -1
    Hmmm, Sake was about 13 - 15lbs at 6 months...but she is all legs...She is also bigger than my male.
  • edited November -1
    Keiko was 14.6lbs at 6 months (yay vet records!) so I don't think 11lbs is too small.
  • RyuRyu
    edited November -1
    Roxy was only about 12 lbs at 6 months. She's smaller than our boy Shiba but not abnormally so. She's about 14-15 lbs now (8 months).
  • edited November -1
    Tsuki was 12lbs at 6 months, I double checked.
  • edited November -1
    Tetsu was 14lbs (I think) at 6 months, then shot up to 18lbs at 8 months and hasn't gained anything since.
  • edited November -1
    my puppy is about 10.5 lbs and she's 6 months old right now.... so your shiba isn't the smallest!
This discussion has been closed.