Rotating food vs Permanent Mix?

This maybe a dumb question.....I know many of you guys rotate your kibble. I was wonder why you guys don't just permanently mix the kibble brands you use. Is this not as beneficial?

Comments

• edited November -1
    I believe the rotation is to provide variety to the dogs in addition to the varied nutrient levels - wouldn't you get tired of dinner if you had the same thing every night?
  • edited November -1
    I think what Jessika is asking is why not all at the same time. If you rotate Wellness Core, Orijen and Evo, instead of rotating why not buy them all at once, mix them together and call it a day.
  • edited November -1
    I know of a german shepherd breeder locally that has a permanent mix of evo red meat and evo chicken and swears by it. She's getting the varied nutrient levels and the benefits of a red meat based kibble and poultry based kibble.

I think rotating between brands without permanently mixing is
    a. to prevent stomach upset in case one of the new (haven't yet tried) foods upsets the tummy, its easier to eliminate the cause
    and
    b. humans feel better giving their dog a variety. I think dogs will eat whatever you give them whenever you give it to them if they are hungry.
  • edited November -1
    Isn't there something to be said for keeping the freshness of the kibble as long as possible? Having two bags mixed at the same time means they decrease half as fast. Just a thought because Ichi gets less interested as we get to the bottom of the bag.

Jesse
  • edited November -1
    The kibbles can oxidize I suppose, I do like Solid Gold's hermetically sealed bags with the 1-way valve, designed just for that reason. The Solid Gold distributor in my area advises against pouring food in other containers 2/2 oxidation.
  • edited April 2009
    I vary it up a bit, sort of - kibble wise. I usually rotate kibble every 2 weeks to a month between Wellness Core and Taste of the Wild. During my last visit to the pet store, I bought Wellness Core Ocean & Taste of the Wild Bison. I felt like doing a combination dry food so I just mixed them together.

I refrigerate my dry food by the way. Not sure how much of a difference that makes. I just do so because of the ants - as a preventative. I haven't seen any for awhile but during the summer/fall months we had an ant breakout. I have a medium sized refrigerater mainly for just cat & dog food.