The official Nihon Ken Food Poll: RAW vs. No RAW

I thought of a better use for the poll! What do you feed your dog?

Comments

• edited November 2007

I feed raw.

HK base w/ added turkey, chicken, beef, mackeral, lamb, or salmon.  

Well, 95% of the time. I do keep cans of EVO, Nature's Variety, Nature's Organics, and Evangers around for days when I forget to thaw or I need someone else to feed the dogs. I use kibble for their Buster Cube - EVO RM or Orijen.

• edited November -1
    Nemo only ever gets raw snacks, no consistent raw intake.
  • edited November -1
    The pups get natures variety raw in the morning with a bit of Orijen kibble, and then just kibble at night. And on the rare occasion I give treats, they are raw.
  • edited November -1
    I feed just Orijen mostly, but supplement with RMBs.
  • edited November -1

Raw meat /beef, chicken, fish/ with boiled rice and some ground raw vegetables /carrots and gourgettes mostly/

No ready made food, except when we are camping - then its dry food. 

• edited July 2008
    hmmm raw
  • edited November -1
    So I know I'm a little late to this one but better late then never right!  I work for Nature's Variety and started my lab on there raw, I love the difference it has made with her.  She has a beautiful coat and unlike most labs in the states she is lean and muscular.  People often ask me if she is part grayhound cause her tummy tucks up and her back legs are so ripped!  Anyways, a big deciding factor in getting another pet (dor or cat) is to make sure I can afford to feed all of them only raw.  NV is a very balance formula with all kinds of fruits and veggies in it.  I've started to look at other brand and more unique proteins, and new favorite of Layla's and mine is Love Your Pet, it's hard to find because it's not human grade.  The reason for this is because their meat is wild that is hunted like elk!  I love the raw and though I'm no expert I would love to try to help answer any questions anyone would have about it!
  • edited November -1

Jen's looking up "Love Your Pet" now! Thanx....

So, does NV have a Kangaroo formula? I remember you mentioned you tried to feed Kangaroo to Layla but she didn't like it.

Also, we gave our pups the "Ziwi Peac" canned food last night, didn't work to well with their GI... which I guess is good considering the price of it. It would suck if they did amazing on it then we might feel pressured to buy more. lol.

Have you tried "Honest Kitchen" or "Addiction"? Our pups seem to really dig both of those.

• edited November -1
    Actually the Kangaroo came from Oma's Pride, she has all kinds of unique proteins most are mixes or just the meat and it's kind of expensive but if you order it direct it's 30% less than what I find in the Denver stores that carry it.  I haven't tried the meat HK diets cause I still am afraid to feed Layla chicken and I think turkey is so similar I haven't even tried it Frown.  I'm going to look up Addiction though cause I don't think I've heard of that!  Thanks I love new raw!
  • edited November -1
    Sorry to hear about the Ziwi but your probably right, who knows what kind of job you'd have to get to feed your pack that LOL!
  • edited November -1
    I feed mixed raw of chicken, beef, liver & salmon and both my dogs seem to thrive on it
  • edited November -1
    We mostly give our dogs dry food, but sometimes the get raw meat, chicken wings, or frozen soup bones
  • edited November -1
    I feed Orijen kibble as Shinra's main diet but I always mix in Green Tripe (venison or lamb) or a high quality, grain free canned food. I also give raw bones, meat and chicken wings. I could speak volumes about Tripe for you pets (cats too) Remember: You can buy tripe at the store but it's not the same as green tripe. Green tripe has all the stomach contents which provide lots of nutrients. The digestive acids in the tripe are great for your dogs teeth and aids in efficient digestion.

One of my dogs favorite treats is the dried chicken breasts (chicken jerky). I am going to buy a dehydrator to make my own since buying them at the store if really expensive,
  • edited November -1
    tripe is awesome!! but extremely smelly!!! but the pups go nuts for it..

we;re getting ours mixed with beef spleen now from hare-today.com - great quality there!
  • edited November -1
    oh! and honeycomb tripe is what is found in grocery stores and is not, as arthemeties said, the same as the good green stinky stuff..
  • edited November -1
    Got questions...
    Where do you get green tripe from?

Also, JessicaRabbit, I have a dehydrator and have made beef jerky multiple times (human consumption) - how do you plan to make chicken jerky for the furbies?
  • edited November -1
    you can get it canned, solid gold sells canned tripe; frozen raw, Bravo sells frozen raw tripe; you can get it fresh, maybe a local farmer or co-op?
    whole dog journal in the July 08 article had a green tripe article with sources at then end of the article for fresh/canned/frozen.
  • edited November -1
    Yeah...I got super sidetracked with that. It is on my list of things to do, my plan consisted of basically just dehydrating the meat. No frills. If you have any suggestions I am all ears.
  • edited November -1
    thanks, Jen - I didn't read about the tripe because when it first came out because I wasn't interested, but I keep thinking that I might like to add some raw to Jazz's diet.

Jessica - I may try that this weekend, I'm figuring slicing the chicken thinly like what I would do with steak? I sprinkle the meat with seasoning for human consumption - I think I'll do a small batch for Jazz with no frills. She loves the chicken jerky that I have bought, but I've not looked into what preservatives they put onto the meat.
  • edited November -1
    No raw for our two guys. I'm in infectious disease research and I keep thinking of what could be there! I'm just too chicken to try.
  • edited November -1
    I just got over salmonella and I too am leary of the RAW diet but am open to suggestions.

~A