Ohio Shiba owners

Where did you get your Shiba Inu from? Also, how much was it? I have only found two breeding webpages for ohio breeders...but I think I am going to try and snail mail the guy I got mine from to see if he still breeds....It was his first time breeding, and Zoe was only 650. She has paper and is amazing. This other breeder wants 1,000...but I don't think that fits my budget

Comments

• edited November -1
    Why don't you just try shiba rescue. There are so many awesome homeless shibas right now. Although frankly if a $450 difference impacts your budget, you may want to reconsider adding to your pack. The universe works in funny ways and god forbid Zoe needs any emergency care.
    Not to mention a second dog means twice the food, twice the vet bills, twice the flea and tick preventative.

Also $650 sounds low for a shiba. Did your breeder do all the genetic testing?
  • edited April 2009
    I completely 2nd Jessica.

Also, Please, please, read Why Buy From a Reputable Breeder? & How to Find a Good Breeder. I'd say a shiba from a responsible breeder normally costs around $1000 - $1200 or more, depending on what type of testing is being done on the parents.

Furthermore, I would try to look outside your state. You can always have the pup shipped to you for an extra couple of hundred, which many of the forum members have done.

Also, check out the following threads on the forum. Each one was started by someone looking for a shiba breeder.
    - One
    - Two
    - Three
    - Four
    - Five

As far as reccomendations go, the two I feel I can recommend are Katja of Akashima Kennels. [ because I have spoken with her personally, most of the forum members also got their shikoku from her, one I think got their shiba from her ] & the other is Kathi of Bali H'ai. [ several forum members have got or are getting pups from her, she also has a great reputation ] Neither are located in Ohio, but they are both excellent breeders.

Also, have you considered rescuing a shiba pup? Will certainly save you a ton of $money, you give a pup another chance at life, & you can actually find shiba pups in shelters.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask! Good luck! ~
  • edited November -1
    yes, she is a pure shiba. she has papers, she is a shiba. I bought her from a small Mennonite family. It was their first time breeding shibas. I met the parents and have their names and bloodline.

I just thought 1000 seemed a little much considering prices I have seen online.

The rescue and adoptable shibas are pretty much slim to none in Ohio. They go really fast here...which is great, but bad for me
  • edited November -1
    No one has questioned her breed.
    Genetic testing as in checking her knees, and eyes.
    Papers mean nothing. Even AKC show dogs. Having their names and bloodline does not been they should be bred.

The main concern is the Mennonite community is notorious for being puppy mills.

If they aren't doing adequate genetic testing they should not be breeding.

I found 2 shibas listed in Ohio at first glance
    http://national.shibarescue.org/avail.html

Please read the articles Osy suggested. But seriously with the economy as unstable as it is, I would not add to my pack right now. Especially if the difference of $450 can be felt. I would wait.
  • edited November -1
    according to my vets test, she is fine.

most of the bad things I hear are about amish.

These Mennonites were fine.

I never said I could feel the 450 difference. There is nothing wrong with wanting to save money.

i would prefer female
  • edited November -1
    You can't compare a reputable breeder's price with what you see online. I'm not saying all but I have yet to come across a reputable breeder that advertises their dogs' prices on their website. Deposits maybe but most of the time they don't have that posted either. As it should be, you should never pick your dog based on the price.
  • edited November -1
    most i had to fill out a survey to find out the price, which I think is a good idea. Then they called me
  • edited November -1
    I don't think you are understanding what I mean about genetic testing. Were the PARENTS tested for predisposition towards luxating patella and other optical and joint issues. Were the GRANDPARENTS tested. Puppies will not normally show these issues but if their parents and grandparents had them then the breeders should have pulled them from their program.

Sadly you are mistaken about the Mennonite community. While I am sure that there is the possibility that there are some well intentioned Mennonite breeders, their philosophy alone (disinterest in science and medicine) would be a huge red flag for me when purchasing an animal.

There is nothing wrong with trying to save money. However trying to do so whilst purchasing a family member is irresponsible and a bad idea. And rule of thumb MOST reputable breeder do not advertise their prices on line. If you see a price that is often a red flag.
  • edited November -1
    Without proper research, and finding a dog based on price tag, you are at a greater risk of spending even more on vet bills.

We thought we got our husky from a reputable breeder, still not sure either way, but we purchased him for $800 and wound up paying at least $1500 extra on vet bills the first week due to an illness that manifested from the stress of a new home. The vet says he couldn't have gotten as bad as he did within the time we had him, and that he had it before we got him.

My sister's schipperke cost her $500 and had kennel cough for 3 months, with permanent trachea issues, and a lot of aggression issues.
  • edited April 2009
    There are a few breeders listed here: http://www.shibas.org/breeders.html

Royal Kennels in Ohio I have heard great things about. She has also started a rescue program at her kennel. I know of three people with shibas from her breeding program and one person who adopted a shiba from her rescue program, I can connect you to them for a referral if you'd like.

Good luck finding a shiba, whether from a breeder or a rescue or a shelter or a friend...

Just curious - why do you prefer female? Not saying all are this way, but most times shibas do well in pairs of the opposite sex. Does your shiba play well with dogs of both sexes? Or females in particular?

**my female shiba is from a mennonite mill type operation in Pennsylvania. While I realize the error of their breeding 'philosophy' and would never want to support it when reputable breeders exist, my female has a gem of a personality, is just stunning in my eyes, but does have health issues; grade 1 LP, food allergies and a genetic dental disorder. Just be careful when looking into breeders, sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you don't. Thats why many above are so passionate about pushing the research aspect before purchasing a puppy - you eliminate a lot of risk of health and behavior issues by supporting a breeding program that does their homework before breeding.
  • edited November -1
    Good points Beth. I really agree that trying to save money usually ends up with you spending more money in the long run due to health issues.
  • edited November -1
    like i said, most i had to fill out a survey.

secondly, i have the papers with the parents names so i can research. It was my first time buying a dog from a breeder. I love my shiba.

These Mennonites were fine. They took the puppies into town for all the proper shots and appointments. This family was not bad.

I find nothing wrong when i see several puppies i fall in love with and then it comes to the price.

It's my choice. You don't have to agree.

so end it
  • edited November -1
    she plays well with all dogs and cats. she loves small dogs

i have been speaking with the royal kennel people. I will probably end up going with them.

I love my Shiba. The breeder didn't give me any red flags when I met and toured their place. If she ends up with problems down the road, I will take care of them. I am in love with my dog and can't imagine not picking her
  • edited November -1
    I'm sorry, we are not trying to insult you or your pups...We just want to make sure that you don't wind up in a bad situation with the second pups, as I know many of us have heard/experienced plenty of horror stories
  • edited November -1
    i understnad
  • edited November -1
    "so end it"

Honestly - you asked for advice on a public forum full of people with GREAT insight and knowledge. If you can't handle hearing such advice I'm not sure what to tell you.
  • edited April 2009
    You don't have to defend yourself over how you got your first pup. We're trying to help you make an even better decision the second time around.
  • edited November -1
    Let's try to keep it on topic guys.
  • edited November -1
    Sarah, in the end, if you were comfortable with the breeder of Zoe, than that is what it is and Zoe is lucky to have you to call 'mom'! Please don't get upset or defensive - The members of this forum are just so passionate and devoted and dedicated to all aspects of shibas and the other nihon ken breeds! Perhaps someone down the road will join and read this thread and hopefully it will help their decision in choosing a breeder for their dog. You are part of the forum and it is obvious you love and care for your shiba just like we all do our own as well!

I'm glad you've been in touch with Royal Kennels. Their shibas have incredible temperaments! Of the three people I know with shibas from her, 2 are therapy dogs and one is just a pup and will probably be accomplished as he grows as well! If you go to visit her kennel, check out her Kai and rescue shibas, and her foxes! I hope to get to Royal Kennels someday soon myself!
  • edited April 2009
    SIRA is in IL, http://www.savingshibas.com. Thats pretty close to OH. I agree wirh everyone, 650 is very cheap for a Shiba. Thats about the price range on Petfinder.com and sites like it. But nearly all breeders on sites like those would not be recommened as a quality breeder.
  • edited November -1
    im going to bed. some of you have great insight. Others are just more concerned with trying to prove they are right
  • edited November -1
    thank you tsukitsune. I think that is the best thing said thus far for me. It was put in a nice, understanding way.
  • edited November -1
    That was uncalled for.
  • edited November -1
    I am asking that everyone involved in this discussion stop the personal attacks immediately. If they don't stop, this thread will be closed.

I you have advice to offer on helping to locate Shibas in Ohio, please offer it. If not, please keep your comments to yourself.
  • edited November -1
    No one is trying to prove that they are right. They are trying to help you find a healthy pup, because allergies and genetic disorders can be devastating. Luxating patella can cost $1000s in surgery to correct. Temperament is also a big concern in Shibas, as they can be prone to fear issues that can be very frustrating to work through. You are very lucky that Zoe has been healthy thusfar. Taking the puppies to get vaccinations is not an indicator of proper breeding practices. The parents of the pups need to be screened for health and temperament long before they are ever bred together.

The initial cost of the pup should not be of concern. That price is miniscule in comparison to all the supplies, leashes, collars, food, training, and vet visits you will have to provide. If $1000 is too pricey for you then you should consider waiting until you are more financially stable to add another dog to your household.

Please read the links that Osy has provided and consider what those threads have to say. I wholeheartedly recommend you look into rescuing a Shiba instead.
  • edited April 2009
    Hi Sarah

The advice was not given in the spirit of contempt I am sure...

Talk with Pam Peterson of Royal Kennels she can answer a lot of questions off the cuff. She has years of practical experience and working with rescues as well!
    In the duration to get proactively started I would review the link http://www.nihonken.org/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=1573&page=1#Item_32. One way or the other they are issues that will confront you either now or later depending on where you go. Just be aware of them.

Forecasting and planning can go a long way in determining when to bring a new dog home. There are always costs that come up when you have kids or dogs. Trips to the doctor or vet that are unplanned can put a singe on the pocketbook and family comfort level. Make sure you have insurance and or a plan to cover them or back up if you get laid off etc etc.

Good luck
    Snf
  • edited November -1
    When I was looking for my rescue, I talked with Pam a fair bit - she's very nice.
  • edited November -1
    Good luck with finding a breeder! I live in New York and it took me a few months of research and a few weekends of traveling and visiting to find the one that (hopefully) I'll be getting a puppy from in July. I was completely new to the "finding a reputable breeder" process when I came to this forum as my family's previous dog was a mutt from a BYB. Although I wouldn't change Lily for the WORLD and she's a WONDERFUL dog, I decided this time around I was going to go through a good breeder and the advice that I've gotten from this forum both through asking questions and reading older threads has been INVALUABLE (and it's turned me on to Victoria Stilwell which I cannot thank you guys enough for!! : )

Please don't see these comments as overly harsh or anything against your dog as I'm sure she's a wonderful pup, there's just so much that goes into REALLY breeding for the right purposes. Royal Kennels definitely seem like they're on the up and up and were one of the breeders that made it on my short list of ones to contact but it's a tad bit far for me and I wanted to visit all of the breeders that I was considering: )

If you're willing to drive for your pup, I can recommend the following breeders as I've visited all of them and they're all fantastic:

Rodel Shibas
    Aspers, PA
    shibas.net

Bali Hai Shibas
    Long Island, NY

Tengai Shibas
    Brick, NJ
    Tengaishibas.com

As far as prices go, $1000 is actually less then what I've been quoted. Not sure if it's just a NY and surrounding areas thing but I think the going rate from a good breeder is $1200.
This discussion has been closed.