What are every one's thoughts on Crate Training?

edited April 2009 in General
Is it something that you feel is positive for the puppy? How is it done exactly?

Comments

• edited November -1
    My mentality is that a crate is the dog's den and "safe place". I do feel it's a positive thing for a dog to have their "home base" to go back to and for us to direct them to. I have a horrible time explaining how to go about it so I'll let everyone else do it lol. Main thing is to associate being crated with good things.
  • edited November -1
    Crate training is a wonderful method of creating a safe space for a dog, and to give you and your dog brakes from each other. It also keeps your dog as well as your belongings safe from harm when you are not home. There are some great books on crate training.
  • edited April 2009
    I couldn't live without it... and I honestly don't think the dogs could either!!! They each have their 'own' space. A lot of the time if the dogs are free to roam the house and I'm working or whatever, I'll find that they choose to go in their crate for a nap or some downtime. I know they associate the crate with fun things like peanut butter filled Kongs or the new yummy antlers I got for them to chew on, because they're only allowed to have 'special' treats/toys when they're in the crate (minimizes the mess I have to clean up, and prevents any jealousy that might occur with my monster Shiba).

I've been really lucky that my dogs have all just willingly crawled in and decided on their own that this was something they liked, but there are a lot of great resources on this forum and in books (as Jessica said).

... Rina reminded me that everytime I see a crate I think of ...
  • edited November -1
    We would not know what to do if we did not have multiple crates.

Here's some info. Also on this forum you can do a search on "crate.

Snf

http://www.northeastshibarescue.com/cratetraining.html

http://www.diamondsintheruff.com/crate.html
  • edited November -1
    all the dogs my family had when I grew up never were crated. At first I was hesitant because I thought it was mean. Katsu's only been home for about two weeks now and she already loves her crate. I really do think she feels like it's her quiet space, a place to get away from all the torture and snuggling my wife and I inflict on her. I feel alot better when we leave her alone because I know she's safe in her crate and not trying to burn the house down or electrocute herself. I was a critic at first but I really think crating is the way to go. It also helps with housebreaking alot.
  • edited November -1
    I have only this to say: the crates I have bought my dogs were, by far, the best single investment in anything dog related I have ever made.
  • edited November -1
    Crates cater to the dog's primal need to den themselves when they need rest. Every dog needs a small place to curl up in and sleep knowing nothing can get to them or sneak up on them. I keep mine covered (except for the gate) so it allows for more of that "den" experience.

When your dog isn't looking, throw some high value treats in the crate (liver treats, raw hot dogs, etc.) along with their favorite chew toy that they can chew unsupervised (kong, etc). It won't happen overnight but your dog will eventually warm up to the crate. Once your dog realizes, as others have already stated, that the crate is a place where only good things can come, they will willingly enter the crate when you are about to leave.

My Shiba "senses" when we're about to leave the house in the morning. I've come out of the bathroom from last minute prep, only to find him waiting inside the crate, ready to be rewarded his treat. I didn't even have to use my usual command of, "Go to bed."

Jesse
  • edited November -1
    I believe crate training is one of the best things you can do both for your dog and for yourself. The posts above have a good outline of why I feel this way.
  • edited November -1
    The crate was very helpful with the housebreaking, and it's keeping Tikaani from destroying the place when we aren't home. Tikaani is such a vacuum cleaner, he'll eat anything he can get his lips around, so we have to keep a vigilant eye on him. If we were to leave him uncrated while we went out for a few hours, we'd end up with a half eaten house, and a husky with a bad stomach ache.
  • edited November -1
    I agree with Dave! Buying a crate then properly training your dog to willingly use it is the single greatest investment you can make!
  • edited April 2009
    Deleted....those links likely have the info.

Jesse
  • edited November -1
    crate = safe and comfortable. that way they will willingly go in,
  • edited April 2009
    couldn't live without it. period. ;)
  • edited November -1
    Crate = sanity preserver (yours and the dog's).
  • edited November -1
    I haven't ever crate-trained a dog. Whenever I am lucky enough to become a puppy owner, I think what I am probably going to crate the dog at night.

However, I don't know about crating him during the day. These comments about crating a dog and feeling better because the dog would eat things / tear things up / get into trouble when you are gone...I kind of hope I can train the dog to be cool in the house while I am at work, rather than sitting in the crate all day.

I remember my last two dogs, they were a little rough on the house when they were young, but by the time they were each a year old the times when they chewed or destroyed things were few and far between.

I dunno...a lot of this depends on the temperment of my hypothetical, hopefully future dog, though.
  • edited November -1
    I can honestly say at 3 years old there's no way I would ever let our Dachshund have free run of the house. She's too curious about things she shouldn't be into (the garbage etc.) and as well behaved as she 'usually' is when we are home, I know without a person telling her no there would be nothing to stop her. For my piece of mind - knowing that the dog isn't getting something out of the trash like a tossed out razor blade or some bones to choke on - the crate is awesome. It's a personal decision, but those are just a few of the reasons I do it.
  • edited November -1
    we do let our now almost 4 year old shiba alone, out of the crate, for some time. Right now, this means no longer than an hour to an hour and a half. We even tried this with two webcams. All he did was lay on the couch but that's about it. I wouldn't trust him for longer yet though, only very gradually. But for housebreaking for instance, I wouldn't wanna go through that without crate-training. Some hotels only allow dogs in crates, you can travel with the dog in the crate if you have to take him, etc. There are a lot of very good reasons to crate-train a dog. That doesn't necessarily mean that your dog will be in there all the time but for untrained dogs, imho it's a must when they can't be supervised.
  • edited November -1
    Cliff, if you can figure out how to train your dog (especially Shiba) to reliably be well behaved with nobody around, write a book! I'll be your first customer. :-)
  • edited November -1
    haha okay it's a deal :)
  • edited November -1
    Ike is far too naughty with out someone's eyes glued to him at all times, but I got him when he was an adult so he was used to someone else's rules and is still learning the house rules here. He really likes his crate when we travel, it is definately his security blanket.

Although Beebe is his younger female friend, she has earned a little more trust and goes uncrated 24/7. I do gate off the kitchen for her occasionally, and expen the couches, but she started out in a crate and worked up from there.
  • edited November -1
    I am such an advocate for crate training, although my neighbors currently think I am the meanest woman on the planet due to Greta's howling/crying during the day while I am at work. Both she and Shelby hang out in their crates in my office while I am working on the computer, so it's their "happy place" although Greta seems to prefer Shelby's deluxe crate (not ready for a bed in Greta's crate yet).

I know personally that Shelby is much safer in there in case she does have a seizure while I am not home and my house is not destroyed from Greta the Destroyer, so it's a win-win situation.
  • edited November -1
    100% for crate training, it helps housetrain as well as helps keep the pups out of trouble.
  • edited November -1
    My adult dogs are left uncrated the majority of the time and permitted free-run of the middle level of the house when I am not home. Nevertheless, I crate them occasionally to remind them of the concept. They are also fed in their crates.

The obvious advantages of successful potty training and keeping a puppy safe and your household items intact. But there are many other advantages to crating.

-It makes mealtime a breeze in a multidog household, particularly if some dogs have dietary restrictions
    -Cleanup from the above-mentioned mealtime is also easier especially if recreational bones and taste sensations like tripe are incorporated into the diet.
    -If your dog needs to be hospitalized, he/she will be much less stressed about being confined
    -Your quiet, crate-trained dog will be welcome at the homes of friends and family members
    -If ill-mannered children visit you, the dogs can be crated for everyone's protection
    -Transport in a crate is the safest, period. If you get in a car wreck, a crate can save your dog's life.
    -If your dog needs orthopedic or other surgery and is facing a long recovery, confinement will again be a familiar concept and less stressful while he heals.
    -You can easily travel with a crate trained dog - airplanes, cabs, trains, and hotels