Shikoku hunters?

So I have read that Shikoku's were originally bred to hunt wild boar and deer. My questions are, would any of you guys consider hunting with your dogs? Would you consider it too dangerous? Do you think the dogs would enjoy it? And what standards would need to be met for a hunting dog? Thanks guys, just curious, not really planning on going hunting any time soon:)

Comments

• edited November -1
    Yes, eventually I'd like to try hunting with my Shikoku. However, I'll probably wait a few years and train one of my pups.

I'd look for a dog with a bit more "edge" in the attitude department. Someone who is very agile (to dodge attacks & give chase) and quick to think (can't always rely on me for commands, the dog has to learn to do things on his or her own). I'm sure the dogs would live for this kind of work. If the dog is not enjoying his or her job, then it'd be time to find another sport. The dog has to not only be good what he or she does, but also must enjoy it.
  • edited April 2009
    ah good to know, i was kicking the idea around alot. but in the states its illegal to hunt deer with dogs, and boar seem pretty dangerous. but i think it would be fun to involve your dog in the thing it was originally bred for, if they like it that is. Are you one of the shikoku breeders?
  • edited November -1
    I don't know if it's illegal to use dogs to bait deer in all 50 states, but it is illegal to use them in Indiana, where I'm from. There is a dog running season for hunting possum and raccoon, though, and you can't even carry a weapon to kill those animals when you're dog running.
  • edited November -1
    huh, I didn't know you could even hunt like that with dogs anymore. I live in minnesota, so when I FINALLY get to the point where I can get my desired amount of Shikas, I'll definately have to check out the hunting laws and regulations in my state. Thanks bunches its fun to dream
  • edited November -1
    I'm learning more about Indiana-specific fish and game laws as I'm trying to become a conservation officer. I know a bit about our laws, but nothing about Minnesota. Their state website surely has a Department of Natural Resources page that has hunting and fishing regulations.
  • edited April 2009
    Gen (shishiinu) hunts with his kishus. Doesn't necessary help with your breed specific questions but he might be helpful with general hunting with dogs questions.
  • edited November -1
    I plan on hunting with shikoku. I've emailed with a local guy who trains hunting dogs and I'm thinking of working with him... just trying to decide if he's too western for my likes or if he's willing to be flexible. There will be a learning curve for me, too, because I've never hunted before, but next hunting season I'm going to take the necessary courses required to get a hunting license and then join the local hunting and fishing club. A year from now, I will probably have more information for you... at least hopefully!

Also, I thought it was only illegal to hunt deer with dogs if the dogs actually caught and killed the deer. Most of the utility of hunting with dogs is just having the dogs find the animals. Surely that's not illegal?
  • edited November -1
    I believe dogs are allowed to track/flush/point game nearly everywhere. It's the part where they are then allowed to kill the game or maul it, that certain groups found unacceptable. I just watched a show where a guy used his KBDs to flush nuisance black bear in some park. They track and then tree the bear, or just chase them off depending on what the guy wants. It's not illegal to hunt with the assistance of dogs.
  • edited November -1
    KBDs are awesome. Perhaps some of my favorite dogs.
  • edited May 2009
    Well I think I have a great addition to this conversation. I own A 7 month old Shikoku, "Banshee", who I received from Katja in Vancouver. I have taught him to be an off leash dog, and recently have been working alot with him on resisting his prey drive and remaining by my side when an animal is near. With that being said, I also have given him a release command which allows him to give chase when I give him the go ahead. It works most of the time, but with all animals, there is the chance of deviation from properly obeying commands.

I say all this because I take him hiking off leash with me along trails in Florida and we occasionally come across wildlife with him off leash and he generally obeys my command. Three weeks ago, however, we were walking through some thick brush and walked up on roughly 15 wild feral hogs which were all roughly 200 lbs and all bigger than Banshee. We were both spooked, and the hogs began to run toward the river we were near. Banshee, despite my voice commands to "leave it", gave chase to the hogs which were running done a game trail in double column. He had no hesitation and only came back to me after giving chase to them to the river. I was definitely scared at the fact that the hogs might have turned on him, but they luckily did not, and he returned to me.

Lessons learned from the experience:

1) Shikoku's have a very very strong prey drive which is hard to control.

2) Before taking a Shikoku off-leash in the wildlife, he needs a GPS collar in the event he gives chase to an animal and either becomes incapable of hearing your call to return, or is unable to come back due to injury.
  • edited November -1
    Bily,

At that age, I used to let Kuma (my Shikoku) off leash too. But 1 experience like you just had with your boy taught me how strong the Shikoku prey drive is. Kuma's prey drive really kicked in around 8-9 months and then he did manage to start killing some small animals that came into our yard (ground hogs, possum, squirrels, and rabbits). This intensified the prey drive even more. So while they are really obedient, when the prey drive kicks in, I agree on the GPS collar. I actually don't let Kuma off leash in the woods here in PA (too thick) since I don't have a GPS collar.
  • edited November -1
    Hi Brad,

That was quite a story regarding Banshee and his chase. I think a GPS collar is a great idea.
    Hope all is well with you and yours. Do you guys miss California?
  • edited November -1
    Dorothy,

I do actually miss California alot, although I don't miss the wildfires (haha). Florida has been treating us well, but hurricane season is coming soon, so ask me the question again after the fall. How is Solana Beach and Del Mar....sunny and 70 degrees with a light ocean breeze I would imagine. Maybe fate will bring me back to southern California, at least I hope it does. Hope Tenji is doing well.
  • edited November -1
    Yeah, the tracking collars are a good idea. I'm definitely getting those before I take any dog hunting.