So what's the deal on eggs?

Raw vs cooked.. which is the right one to feed our dogs and what are the benefits?

Ive read some articles that claim that raw eggs will greatly improve your dogs coat. but on the other hand, there are also people who do not recommend feeding dogs raw eggs even claiming that it would be detrimental to them. As of right now im not sure which one to side with so i was wondering what everyone opinon was. thanks.

Comments

• edited November -1
    I never tried any of them.
    But, from an empiric point of view on eggs, raw eggs can transmit some germs that can heavily affect a dog's GI tract. On the other hand, dogs seem to be much more resistant to these things than we are, but I'd still be very careful with it. (This is strictly my personal opinion, there are people here that feed raw and should have a better view of this.)
  • edited November -1
    If your dog eats a kibble based diet, I would cook the eggs. Maybe you can make her a special once a week breakfast that will help her coat with cooked egg, cooked spinach and fish of some sort (sardines maybe?).

I feed raw eggs but only because I feed a raw based diet and time their raw meals according to digestion rates to not cause any GI harm/build up/fermentation/etc. I've never had an issue with any raw foods and germs because we really strive for the safest handling and feeding practices.

As a rule, I would never give something raw that is fed within a 8-12 hour time frame of kibble.
  • edited November -1
    I started doing a Saturday morning soft boiled egg in with the dogs breakfast. They love it and we have had not GI or poop problems. Plus they eat their whole breakfast!
  • edited November -1
    Protein!

I do both, sometimes I give raw eggs and sometimes I cook it. I make sure to always include the egg shells and mash them together. If raw, I'll combine with other food source. If cooked, I'll just feed it to them as is. This is something I usually do on a weekly basis.
  • edited November -1
    Jazz gets one whole, raw egg per week (as do I) - we are still working on fur re-growth on her paws. I do the raw egg because I grow my hair out for Locks of Love and my hair grows faster when I consume an egg a week and gelatin.
  • edited November -1
    hey, thanks for everyones input! i had another question, when you guys say cooked, do you mean soft boiled only or sunside up/scrambled okay?
  • edited November -1
    I'm not sure what way is best, but my mom always scrambled her eggs when she gave them their weekly eggs I'm read on some forum they boiled the egg so I'm not sure.
  • edited November -1
    I do them soft boiled and I give them the whole egg including the shell (mashed up)
  • edited November -1
    There is a slim chance of salmonellosis when feeding raw eggs to dogs or self.
    Raw eggs also possess avidin, which binds biotin and prevents its absorption (Avadin is destroyed with heating) Biotin deficiency symptoms include dull, thin haircoat, excess shedding, itching (dermatitis) and brittle nails. Granted, this is unlikely unless eggs are the sole protein source or fed in excessive amounts.

My dogs enjoy scrambled eggs and poached eggs. As dogs, they would probably be willing to eat raw eggs too but I find the cooked versions less messy.
  • edited November -1
    When scrambling the eggs for your dog, do you use butter to line the pan, or have you found an alternative non stick substance? I feel that butter isn't good for the dog, or is it alright to give in this circumstance?
  • edited November -1
    I would use olive oil before butter. But then again, I don't see me feeding scrambled. I'd stick with a mushed up boiled egg.
  • edited November -1
    By "cooked" egg, depending upon what I feel like making that day, it could be fried (my sunny-side ups always break, so I cook both sides), scrambled or boiled.

-----------

Beth - I just crack the egg in a non-stick pan. I'm sure a smidge of butter or olive oil isn't gonna kill them. Especially if it's mostly just a weekly thing.