random coat q's

I have a couple of questions about Shiba fur...

first, what do you use to keep your pups coat shiny and soft?

second, when do Shiba puppies tend to come into their full coat? My pup is nearly 7mo old and seems to have the sleeker coat that constantly sheds but I'm not sure if she's still developing her adult coat.

finally, I live in Florida and my little one LOVES to be outside but I feel like its so hot outside. Does anybody do any heavy duty grooming/cutting for summer?

thanks so much :)

Comments

• edited November -1
    Good questions... I wish I could help with answers!

Keiko is just starting to really fill out and look more 'Shiba-ish' and she's 11.5 months right now. I just feed Innova EVO small bites and one raw egg yolk per week - it seems to keep her coat nice and shiny. Our other dogs naturally have super sleek shiny coats so I don't add the egg to their food. I definitely noticed a difference after adding the yolk for Keiko though.

I also worry about over heating so I try to limit the time we spend in really hot direct sun during the summer, and I keep a constant supply of fresh water available. I'm not sure that there's any special summer way to groom a Shiba... they'd look pretty silly if they were shaved lol :o)
  • edited November -1
    Best things you can do to keep their coats soft and shiny is add oil to their diet and wash them very infrequently (like seasonally).

Your pup may not get a thick coat. Some varieties of shiba have sleeker coats. But you can try adding fish oil and Solid Gold Seameal which has benefited many of our dogs coats.

And NEVER EVER EVER EVER cut their coat. The double coat is to protect them from cold and heat. Your dog could suffer from more heat damage from being shaved. Just make sure to never leave him out alone. You want to be able to monitor his panting. Keep him well hydrated. And most shibas love ice cubes.
  • edited May 2009
    1. Pups coats tend to be shiny & soft on their own, the way of the spitz-type dogs I suppose. You can add some nutritional supplements to help tho. Omega 3 Fish Oil does wonders for a dog's coat [ & of course, it does wonders for people as well ] Also, if your pup already isn't on one, a grain-free diet can sometimes help.

2. They'll come into their first coat after their first molt / blowing. Essentially its when they lose their undrcoat. Shibas don't normallly continually shed, it sounds like you pups has a "moss" coat, meaning, instead of blowing coat 2x a year, they will continually shed instead. There are many shibas like this, they also tend to have sleeker fur, just the way they are.

3. Hello fellow Floridian! Generally, shibas can do well in the heat, given that they are kept hydrated and not out too long in direct sunlight. [ florida sun being ever so strong ] You're pu should be fine, just try to limit outdoor activity during the hottest hours, try to walk early in the morning & later in the evening when it's cooler. NEVER cut a shiba's coat. Spitz-dogs should not have their fur cut.

Also, try not to bathe your shiba too often, they're really self-cleaning like a cat, so only do when necessary [ like, if they get into some mud ] Bathing a shiba too much strips their coat of the natural oils that make it healthy.

If you have any more questions, pls ask. ~
  • edited November -1
    Whoa, love how everyone posted within a few seconds of eachother, haha. ~
  • edited November -1
    I good diet can help give your pups a nice shiny coat, and the greatest thing with this coat type is that a brushing is enough to get rid of most any mud/grime they happen to get in.

Like what was said, shaving is bad for this kind of coat, plus it would show more of the undercoat which doesn't really have a shine.

Their coat blows are somewhat season/weather based, coming from an area that has warm summers and snowy winters. Being in Florida, the winter doesn't get as cold, so their shedding may be more constant than seasonal. Thus, their coats will never get as thick as a pups living more north.

Shade and water are great ways to keep from over heating, and if you feel that ice cubes may be too hard for their teeth, I have seen people freeze blended fruit cubes instead (easier to chew on but still can take time to finish)
  • edited November -1
    Supplements will only get you so far in improving a coat. If a good full coat isn't in the dog's breeding, then Seameal and fish oils will only go so far, but they can improve things like sheen, luster and texture. While natural sunlight is great, too much direct sunlight can damage/fade the coat, and the heat can be uncomfortable for double coated breeds. Apparently most Shiba have their best and thickest coats in their first years.

I'm still fine tuning my grooming regimens for my 2. I'm finding that I prefer to live with a clean and well groomed dog, but frequent bathing is not needed to maintain a healthy coat and skin, they just look nicer. You can still keep the coat and skin healthy if choosing to bathe frequently, it just takes more effort. Mine get mega doses of fish oils and some added Seameal/Missing link. The right grooming tools make a lot of difference and make removing dead undercoat much easier, so I would not see a need, barring medical procedures, to shave the dog.
  • edited November -1
    You got some great answers above, I'll just add:

I think diet has a lot to do with coat health, as does breeding and the type of coat they were born with. I add fish oils to their diet.

My female (will be 2 in June) still has a very sleek coat. She's just starting to shed a bit more now (precursor to the blow out). My male (2 this past winter) has a very thick plush coat, only in the last few months its started to really come in, and subsequently shed a bit more. I think around 2 when they have blown their coat a few times, it starts to come in thicker.
    Since I live in northern PA, they do still blow coat and I usually have much more grooming in late spring/early summer than again in late summer/early fall. They still shed hairs year round, but the blow out happens about twice a year.
This discussion has been closed.