Annual Spring Warning about Coca Mulch

Quick FYI:

Given it’s spring and many are gardening on the east coast,I thought I would send out this warning tidbit that can be long forgotten during winter. Recently apparently more than one dog has either died or had serious complications due to ingestion of Coca mulch. Avoid using it if you garden and have pets.

Snf

Bags of coca mulch have NO warnings printed on the label, upon further investigation on the company ' s website, this product is HIGHLY toxic to dogs and cats.

Cocoa Mulch is manufactured by Hershey, and they claim that ' It is true that studies have shown that 50% of the dogs that eat Cocoa Mulch can suffer physical harm to a variety of degrees (depending on each individual dog). However, 98% of all dogs won ' t eat it. '

This Snopes site gives the following
information:http://www.snopes. com/critters/ crusader/ cocoamulch. asp

Cocoa Mulch, which is sold by Home Depot, Foreman ' s Garden Supply and other Garden supply stores, contains a lethal ingredient called ' Theobromine ' .
It is lethal to dogs and cats. It smells like chocolate and it really attracts dogs. They will ingest this stuff and die. Several deaths already occurred in the last 2-3 weeks. Theobromine is in all chocolate, especially dark or baker ' s chocolate which is toxic to dogs. Cocoa bean shells contain potentially toxic quantities of theobromine, a xanthine compound similar in effects to caffeine and theophylline. A dog that ingested a lethal quantity of garden mulch made from cacao bean shells developed severe convulsions and died 17 hours later. Analysis of the stomach contents and the ingested cacao bean shells revealed the presence of lethal amounts of theobromine.

Comments

• edited November -1
    Thanks for the reminder Patrice!
  • edited November -1
    Ah yes- from the files of "I wish knew this When"

When Reilly was a puppy we had cocoa mulched a small garden, and she sure did want to eat it. She ate some and puked it up and we had to de-mulchlfy and never cocoa'ed again. I liked the smell, but I love my dogs even better than chocolate!
  • edited November -1
    Dude! That's a horrible product to have around. The dogs love to nibble on the beauty bark here, I imagine they would just adore cocoa mulch too. Thanks for the tip.
  • edited November -1
    Thanks for the info. Several neighbors are all about gardening right now and have used tons of mulch that Tosca is always trying to investigate. That stuff smells like crap though, not chocolate, but I'll still continue on my crusade of "Leave it!"
  • edited November -1
    thank you for the reminder..especially since I'm getting ready to go pick up a few bags of mulch for the backyard!
  • edited November -1
    My mom always uses the "Steer Grow" mulch, that stuff smells like crap because it is crap. Last time the dogs were visiting they rolled in it and smelled like manure.
  • edited November -1
    UCHH. I hate the mulch that smells like crap. Why do the dogs love it???