Treats Selection

I would like to know what kind of terats shiba owners here give their dogs.

I give my Takumi rawhide. I know many people are agaist it, but he loves it so much.... I give him some cut vegetables such as carrots, some dried chicken trips also.

Comments

• edited November -1
    Ike: Dogswell chicken jerky, beef liver, Wellness rewards, organic bully sticks

Beebe: kibble

Both eat carrots, apples, string cheese, Himalyan dog chews, Merrick lamb lungs, lamb ears
  • edited November -1
    Takumi2 if you give rawhide, there is a really important article about giving rawhide safely to your dog in this months Whole Dog Journal. I would strongly encourage you to read it.

I give my Shikoku (and when I had a shiba) raspberries, Himalayan Dog Chews, Deer Antlers, Frozen Greek Yogurt Unsweetened Peanut Butter, New Zealand Real Meat Fish and Venison treats.
  • edited November -1
    We give our trio Kongs with natural peanut butter, deer antlers, Himalayan dog chews (which act similar to rawhides without the dangers), and real meat venison or lamb treats.

Every now and then they also get a bite of whatever cheese I happen to be eating... unless it's my Rogue River Blue Cheese... then they're outta luck cuz it's too good/pricey!
  • edited November -1
    dog food, kong with Dehydrated duck strips, chicken jerky,
    milk bone in busy buddy waggle (don't buy it, its impossible to get treats out of)

banana, apple squares, frozen mango, frozen yogurt, sweet potato slices, tofu cubes, hard boiled egg, carrot, asparagus

I've stopped rawhides after toki ate and then threw up 1/4 of one...but I am out of the loop on why it is bad?
  • edited May 2009
    I can't find the particular article (maybe someone could) but I seem to remember reading and hearing from my vet that if your dog can chew off a dried piece of rawhide and swallow it, the stomach juices/etc. will swell that piece of dried hide and cause blockage, possibly leading to the death of the dog.

I know it seems like all 'if's' but I'm not willing to take that chance. Not to mention there are things that don't have that risk that last longer and/or are cheaper (Himalayan dog chews, bully sticks).
  • edited November -1
    Mine do fine on really thick rolled rawhide, we get them 'stick' types that are like an inch and a half thick and a foot long. They never chew them down entirely - they are delicate, picky chewers and I'm grateful for that.

Check out bestbullysticks.com (sign up for their newsletter and get discount codes!) for lots of FUN and SAFE chews!
  • edited November -1
    Thank you for all the comments! I really appreciate it!
    I did not know about Himalayan dog chews. I will look for it next time when I visit pet store.
  • edited November -1
    Thank you, tsukitsune!
    Bullysticks look good too. I will check it out next time too.
  • edited November -1
    I don't have any experience with intestinal blockages from rawhides, but I have had several cases of immediate airway obstruction or rawhides becomming lodged in the dogs throat. The dogs did not chew the treats and they lodged in the back of the throat, making it impossible for the dog to swallow and actually causing choking. They required sedation (or iron fingers) to have the rawhide flat strips removed.
  • edited November -1
    My dogs love the Merrick Bully Sticks. For training treats, I give them boiled chicken, warmed up hotdogs, or tuna.