Shipping a dog

edited June 2009 in General
Has any one had their pup shipped to them? How far? I've been in contact with a breeder in Connecticut and I live in California. I'm a bit wary of having a dog shipped that far. Any advice?

Comments

• edited November -1
    My dog is being shipped from Michigan to Oakland on June 22. I know it's hard, but your pup will be safe. I think it's important to find a good breeder that you trust, and if that person is in Connecticut then go for it.
  • edited November -1
    Miko was shipped from Van Couver British Columbia to Boston. I will assume that it was in all likelihood not her fondest childhood memory, but she is a healthy happy girl.
  • edited November -1
    That is a long way. Hopefully you are considering a direct flight that goes overnight. Right now the temps during the day in some areas are not something I would risk. For the similar cost you probably could fly to CT to visit and meet the breeder directly and take the dog back with you on the same flight. I also would look at the particular airline safety rating in regard to pet handling and travel for unaccompanied pets.

I am not sure how much you have finalized your commitment to this breeder. There are many good breeders in CA so the in individual CT could always give you a referral given the distance.

Snf
  • edited November -1
    Yes, good point Snf make sure that your puppy is flying early early in the morning or a red eye. Most airlines say that the dog has to land before 11am in California and can only fly when ground temps are under 85 degrees.
  • edited November -1
    Hiro was supposed to be shipped, but breeder said that the airlines could not because it was too hot (I'm in AZ). So, she drove Hiro from Missouri to AZ! I was so shocked and thankful! :)
  • edited November -1
    We have shipped 6 dogs now, some international and some within the US.

For shipping in the US I would go with Continental, I've been impressed with them each time we have used them.

Shipping in the US should run you $200-$300 dollars. Try to get a direct flight.

----
  • edited November -1
    Dahmer's (cat) been on planes but been stuck under a seat in the cabin each time. He hated taking off and landing because he didn't know what was going on but overall he was fine. I wouldn't hesitate to fly with him again or any other animal.