puppy mill? Or something.

edited June 2009 in General
My friends looking to buy a pug from a breeder, I explained to him the way me and John have gone about finding our perfect breeder but instead he typed in some details into some pet site or another and came across this guy.

He emailed asking the details or the pups, age, cost, location etc etc and this was the response.

"Hello
I most first of all apologize for the late response to your mail in regards to my puppies ok ,is just that at busy with work all these days in such away that i did not have time and access to check my mail , The puppies are still available for a new and loving home one male one female. Own a lovable personality you wondered if you shall ever find and will put in the best submission into your family this season.They will be going for free they are the most Adorable Puppies AKC registered with health records and shots.Experience in Veterinary Health Care Hospital.They are raised in-home to provide love, play, and socialization. Champion bloodlines. Well socialized puppies with irresistible personalities. Male & Female. Excellent temperaments.I am looking for the best home for the babies.I am in Scotland , a food processing experts by profession. We work in a Food Processing company in the UK and i happened to be one of the experts that where nominated to survey a food
processing and agricultural industry in Edinburgh by name BUBARY AGRICULTURAL SUPPLING GLOBAL COMPANY LTD ( BASC_GLOBAL ) website at http://bascglobal.tripod.com/ . so with the love i have for these puppies, i have to take them along as i have no body to look after them while i am gone. when i got to these city(Edinburgh ) , i found out that my hours for work where too much and i didn't had enough time for the babies so i have to give them out and only to any interested person or family. IF YOU ARE REALLY INTERESTED AND KNOW YOU WILL PROVIDE THE LOVE AND CARE THESE PETS HAVE ALWAYS BEEN HAVING IN THEIR LIVES THEN GET BACK TO ME WITH THE FOLLOWING INFORMATIONS. all i want is for the puppies to be out of here and save too. If you know that you will give this puppies or one of them a good, loving and caring home then please get back to me with the following for delivering address no matter where you
are.

YOUR FULL NAMES
COUNTRY
STATE
DELIVERY ADDRESS ( DOOR )
PHONE NUMBER
NEAREST AIRPORT TO YOUR LOCATION
NUMBER OF MILES YOU LEAVE AWAY FROM THE AIRPORT

WHEN I HAVE ALL THESES, I WILL TAKE THE PUPPIES TO THE AIRPORT AND SHIP THE PUPPY/PUPPIES TO YOU AT ONCE.
I WANT THAT TO BE AS SOON AS POSSIBLE BECAUSE THE PUPPIES MOST LIVE IRELAND ASAP.
GET BACK TO ME ASAP"

I'm sorry it's such a massive lump of text, most of it you wont need to read as it's all repetition and there are a lot of inconsistencies throughout.

Firstly we told my friend to quit typing "pug uk puppies" into google and to take this seriously, he has since agreed and we're taking him to a pug rescue a couple of miles away in a few weeks time. But whats confused me is what is this guys scam? I attempted to email the host of the website but they don't seem to care too much.

We don't understand what it is this guy stands to gain, because he's clearly not the owner of two pups who genuinely need rehoming due to his move (or at least, I don't think so)? If the pups are real then they're clearly not being looked after properly or cared for, socialized etc because of the cavalier way he can just ship them to the first person who emails.

Can anyone explain it to me?

Comments

• edited November -1
    It sounds like one of those scams where you send the guy a check for "shipping" and then never see your goods.
  • edited November -1
    Yeah, I agree with Kristin. Sounds like a bad Infomercial. ~
  • edited November -1
    ah, I see. I feel a bit silly for not thinking of that, mystery solved. If only I had the skillz needed to destroy every page I see online that looks suspicious. :( Pah.
  • edited November -1
    He sounds like one of those Nigerian "give me your banking info" scammers.
  • edited November -1
    This is a variant of a very popular variety of scam...Basically it consists of some 'kind-hearted' person gong overseas with their dog for a 'noble' reason, and later finding out that they supposedly couldn't keep their pups so must find them a good home. They find somebody, asked for payment before 'shipping' the dog, and once payment is received contact ends and there is no dog.

You can actually see for yourself on one of those puppy for sale listing websites. There is usually several listings of some sort of priest (multiple listings of the same story with a different name) that is spreading the word of god and brought his 13wk puppy with him. Found that the word of God keeps him from giving the puppy lovins, and decides to find it a loving home. If you e-mail several of these listings (and I know because I got bored and e-mailed them), each listing replies right away (apparently interwebz is more important than God) and, aside for the name, are all written the same way requesting your bank info and such.

These scams are becoming more and more popular, and people actually fall for it (you'd figure it obvious since $300 is all they need to ship a dog from Africa to the US). They lose their money and some even suffer through identity theft.
  • edited November -1
    "(you'd figure it obvious since $300 is all they need to ship a dog from Africa to the US)"

Yeah... I don't really understand that either. Luna was $300 to ship just across the US, and she was 3lbs at the time..

As the others said, this is a really popular scam. I think you can read a bunch of similar scams at

http://dogbreedinfo.com/scam.htm
  • edited November -1
    It was $300 to ship Koda from Michigan to California!