edited July 2009 in Shiba Inu (柴犬)
YES!!!!!!

Comments

• edited November -1
    Nice!

I have a similar pic:
  • RyuRyu
    edited November -1
    Haha. We had a major Furminator session today. That clump above is a little more than half of what came out of our two. The rest floated away into our neighbors' yards (hehe!)
  • edited July 2009
    The Furminator looks like it works wonders and I've been to the website to read the directions, but I've heard there's a "learning curve" to it. Is it difficult to use? I don't need it quite yet but when I do I wouldn't want to inadvertently cause damage to my pup or her coat just because I used it incorrectly. And I should wait to use it until after her first full "molt" and she has her top coat, right?

Edit: I already have a slicker brush that I've used since she started shedding a bit a couple weeks ago. I also bought an undercoat rake. I understand this tool's purpose is a bit similar to the Furminator's in that it removes undercoat?
  • edited July 2009
    Hahaha nice. I love the Furminator.
  • RyuRyu
    edited November -1
    I normally use our wire brush to maintain their coat between coat-blowing seasons. When they are blowing their coat, I notice a dramatic increase in hair in our house (on couches, etc). Also, on many Shibas, you'll notice tufts of hair sticking out. Roxy is blowing her coat now so we used the Furminator. We only use it to get the majority of hair out. Then we switch to the Zoom Groom (blue brush) to get the rest out.

As for technique, I just make sure not to put too much pressure and I go in the direction of hair growth. If I start to hear "snapping", I switch to the Zoom Groom because I don't want to damage their coat. I would wait until they have shed their puppy coat before using the Furminator.

I've never used an undercoat rake but I believe some forum members recommend it.
  • edited November -1
    Pam, that's while she's blowing coat? hahaha Oh my... I should post a picture next year when Mylo blows his winter coat again. I filled a small trash can one day this year.

I find it hilarious when Mylo gets those little tufts of fur when he's shedding. I call them 'Fur Bunnies'. He HATES it when I see them, because I pull them out, and then it turns into a game of "run away from mommy". hehehe =0)
  • RyuRyu
    edited November -1
    Yea, she looks ridiculous right now. With her shaven leg and the gray tufts poking out, she looks like she has a skin condition LOL
  • edited November -1
    Akita shed too...

IMG_3710

:o)

----
  • edited November -1
    Hahahaha Oh shedding. But we still love them to bits!
  • RyuRyu
    edited November -1
    Brad, as we were brushing the dogs and hair was flying all over the place, Tim goes "Can you imagine what Brad and Jen have to go through?" :D
  • edited November -1
    LOL... Yea, it's crazy. It really is. But I think we all are amazed every time we see how much comes off one little Shiba!

That pics is all Hilo, BTW. That's pure cotton fluff and cloud. :o)

----
  • edited November -1
    I saw a lady brushing her Akita out while I was driving the other day. It looked like it was snowing.
  • edited November -1
    Akitas are the worse. Ninja is such a pain and feels like I never finish. I still haven't had the chance to groom Sasuke.

Sushi (my kitty), is also pretty bad.
  • edited November -1
    I am glad to see this post- because I was just wondering if anyone else was still blowing coat. it seems so late in the year. Even a half-kai makes a good pile. Reilly sheds so little, but Sage is losing a lot of coat lately.
  • edited November -1
    Miko is just finishing up. She looks like hell. So scrawny. Chrystal remember we have had a really mild summer (if any summer at all) I think that is why they are blowing so late.
  • edited November -1
    Yeah, you're right- that makes sense, Jess. I am brushing him about every day, sometimes I can only get one side before he just rolls over for a belly rub, which he likes better. Our malamute friends also look... well, "bedraggled" I guess is the word I'd use. Oh well, they'll all look fantastic again in winter.
  • edited November -1
    ALL of ours are blowing, so are really bad. Hilo has been blowing his coat for, no joke, 4 months! The Ovcharka are really blowing now, same with Kahuna and the Shikas. Jen is vacuuming the whole house everyday!

----
  • edited November -1
    Kaia too, she is really blowing her coat right now.
  • edited November -1
    Yeah, Kuma has been blowing his coat forever now. It's been almost 3 months, I think. The worse is over even because he had a bath 2 weeks ago and that took out loads, but it's still going a bit. The groomer couldn't believe how much fur was coming out of him.
    I was very surprised too, especially after this:
  • edited November -1
    haha that picture is so cute! it looks like the fur is running away
  • RyuRyu
    edited November -1
    Haha. I was worried that it was just us. I feel like we're drowning in hair. I have to vacuum our couches every day because we're too wimpy to make them stay off their favorite sleeping places ;)
  • edited November -1
    Is Nyx drinking water out of the sink? That's a ton of hair!
  • edited November -1
    Yes, I think she was either drinking water or trying to see if there was anything interesting to play with or eat.
    It's a lot of hair and the past 3 months have been like that once a week or so. Thankfully it's stopping, but there's still quite a bit.
  • edited November -1
    They better make up for all this hairy mess and prolonged coat blow with extremely nice thick coats this winter, (IKE and girls especially!)
  • edited November -1
    another good place for this...
  • edited November -1
    LOL - that's funny! It does seem to happen that fast.
  • edited November -1
    Once I went into town for the day and when I left, none of the dogs was shedding at all and when I came home, the couches and floors were coated, I mean literally coated, with Rakka fluff. It was insane! I prefer the quick shedding, though. Rakka sheds the most dramatically, because it comes on the fastest, then ends the soonest, but she sheds the least the rest of the time. Skella blows her coat more gradually and she's always shedding a bit. I like that I can just give Rakka 3-4 thorough brushings in a row and then she's pretty much good.

My dogs blew their coat a few months ago and then started up again just a week ago. I was wondering why, but then it got really, really hot, so I guess it was smart of them.
This discussion has been closed.