Licking Problem

Skippy is now 1 1/2 years old. As of 2 months ago he's started licking his paws and legs (front and back). Thinking it was allergies, I converted him to a no grain diet feeding only Orijen. For awhile, we were good. Then about a month ago, we started up again. I wipe his legs off after every time he goes outside with alcohol baby wipes, put vaseline on his legs and spray with an anti-licking spray I got from the vet. This seems to help deter, but not stop. He doesn't have fleas. The hair on all four legs are becoming very thin and he's developing sore spots. I've started him on Benedryl once a day.

Here's some changes that have happened in the past month (if this helps). We've moved to a different home. He has full roam of the back yard now with our other dogs (labs). He has full roam of the house when we are gone (with no problems). Before this house, he was kenneled while we were gone.

Could it be that he's bored in the home and needs to be rekenneled while we are gone so he feels safe? I figured he'd like his freedom.

WHAT ELSE DO I DO? The vet can't figure it out and we're limited to vets (town of 5,000). This is not a recent picture. His hair is thinning from his paws up to his elbows on all four.

Comments

• edited November -1
    Did the vet offer to do any allergy testing?
  • edited November -1
    Yes, but he said that would take approx 2-3 weeks for results and it's quite costly. Don't mean to sound calus, however I can't afford to spend $525 on allergy testing. We're trying every other avenue.
  • edited November -1
    He may be in pain, arthritis in the hocks and wrists may cause dogs to lick excessively over the joints. Seems suspicious for multi factor allergies (food, environment, etc)... Stress may result in neurotic licking, also.
  • edited November -1
    Could arthritis be hitting him at such a young age? He's only 1.5 yrs. My vet just called and said that he recommends going to 2 benedryl and 1 clariton a day.
  • edited November -1
    I totally understand, we're in the same boat with allergies and the extent of the testing we can do to 'solve' it..

Lindsay - what are the percentage of young dogs who suffer from arthritis?
  • edited August 2009
    Ditto on linday's comment:

Generally dogs do not chew on themselves when bored, there usually is a health reason behind it. I would say it typically is a sign of allergies. Seasonal allergies are not uncommon for Shibas. Since he has free run outside now, grass, molds and pollen may be taking a toll on his immune system. Like people dogs get hayfever but the symptoms are exhibited via foot/leg biting and face rubbing. Have you guys talked to your vet about cort shots etc to see if that reduces the flairs. You will have to work with a vet to rule out other various health possibilities. If Skippy digs too much and the hair loss is too severe then it may become permanently calloused, so it's better you tackle it now rather than later. If it is allergies, most likely it will become worse next season so it's better to get a plan of action together now to get it under control with the help of you vet health provider.

Snf
  • edited November -1
    Thanks for the comments. Now that you say that, Skippy does sneeze in the AM and scratches his face occassionally. I'm going to increase the Benedryl and Clariton and see what happens. I have an appt next week to discuss other options...I'll bring up the cort shots.
  • edited November -1
    Ok, so we broke down and had an allergy test performed. It only cost $255 instead of the original $500+. Skippy just has seasonal allergies due to mold in the yard. Nothing we can do about the yard, so the vet put him on Atopica and within 24 hours, he doesn't lick. I have to wipe his legs down with a cold water rag every time he comes inside, but that's it! WOWOWWOWOW
  • edited November -1
    Excellent! Skippy must feel lots better...
    So the mold is out there until a good frost, I suppose.
    This has been a horrible allergy year- Thanks, El Nino!
  • edited November -1
    I might try this wet rag thing myself. I've been doing the dry rag, probably just spreading it around. Thanks for the info Rockinhlabs.
  • edited November -1
    You can use hypoallergenic baby wipes too...
  • edited November -1
    thanks..gonna do a compare/contrast of both pet and baby wipes. If they're basically the same and babies are cheaper, baby wipes all the way.
  • edited November -1
    Thats exactly what is plaguing my shiba this year.. we've been trying to control it with meds, we just started claritin with promising results.

We use hypoallergenic wipes after walks