Pyracantha Orange Berries made my puppy sick!

Just wanted to give fellow shiba owners a heads up about Pyracanctha Orange berries because apparently my puppy decided to inhale a few dozen of these berries and ended up sick to his stomach.

I found a few random websites stating that Pyracantha berries are toxic to dogs though I havent found a legitimate one yet.

I highly doubt that it was pure coincidence that he got sick a few hours later, slept most of the day and then vomited all over my front lawn AFTER munching on these berries. These berries are popular during the Fall season and many ppl like to use them as decorative pieces in their homes. I strongly advise that you put them high up so that your curious shiba wont go ingesting your Fall centerpiece and then vomiting it back out.

What they look like:
http://www.burncoose.co.uk/site/img/products/large/Pyracantha_SaphyrCadange.jpg

Comments

• edited November -1
    Probably a good idea to keep any dog from eating pyracantha berries. I think they are an irritant to the intestinal tract.

Birds get "drunk" from the very red, fermented berries.

My Shiba liked moderately orange (not completely rippened) pyracantha berries and they didn't make her sick. They basically went thru her system. (Maybe she was using them for roughage?) Anyhow, I cut the bush down (which was in her dog run).

I did find a recipe for pyracantha berry jam on one website when I researched pyracantha!!!
  • edited November -1
    I am so sorry. My grandmother had these around and always told us not to let the dogs eat them or us cause they would make us sick. Guess she was right. I hope your pup feels better soon.