Interesting article on Spay/Neuter

Somewhat of a long read, but I found the results interesting.

http://www.akcchf.org/pdfs/whitepapers/3-23-08DiscoveriesArticle.pdf

Comments

• edited October 2009
    Thanks for that Kyla, I really found this article interesting.

http://naturaldogtraining.com/articles/the-debate-over-neutering/
  • edited November -1
    Ah, the age old debate.

I like that the first article addresses the major health concerns that scare each and every owner. And i like that they clarify that this is research presented to housepets with responsible owners.

My gynecologist (I know, I know) is actually taking a leave from practice to do research on the effects of testosterone as a calming agent in humans. Women with higher levels of testosterone have an altered state of fertility that may contribute to higher stress, anxiety, etc. and men with higher levels have a more macho approach to events. I think whatever results are found could be translatable to all mammals, and if they feel there is enough evidence to consider research, consider that leaving a dog intact may infact, with training and management, create a more whole adult dog than one that is neutered.

On the flip side, comparing my two female dogs - Tsuki was spayed at 6 months before a heat and is quiet, soft really. Maisy either had a litter or went through a heat cycle or two and was spayed after she was a year old. She is go go go. I wonder of testosterone plays a role there, too, being that removal of ovaries could cause an imbalance of hormones that may or may not self regulate with time.

This question that Kevin Behan (author of article Jessika posted) poses is what makes me think most centrally about the entire issue:
    When will we learn that every component of the body is an integral component of the whole? (speaking of male dogs specifically)

I'm eager to read many articles on the topic, even if I never have another puppy again in my life, I'll be educated on both sides. At the core of it, I think I'm afraid and bothered by nationwide organizations making pet owners feel that they aren't intelligent or responsible enough to make their own decisions when it comes to pets. All of these mandatory spay/neuter law proposals makes me think that sometime in the very near future, a lot of our rights will be taken from us as pet owners. Read up, get the word out, and voice your opinion!

Two other articles for consideration:
    http://www.doggedblog.com/doggedblog/2006/05/its_just_that_t.html
    http://saveourdogs.net/2009/03/28/summary-of-health-affects-of-spayneuter/
  • MnVMnV
    edited November -1
    As much as I want to be opinionated, I wish there is an authority that informs us based on past experience and studies what is the right thing to do. So far, I haven't seen a clear cut answer yet.
  • edited November -1
    I don't think there is and may never be a clear cut answer. When all facts are looked at I think the answer is going to be "it depends". It depends on the dog, it depends on the owner, it depends on your situation, it depends on their genetics.... We don't have many intact pet dogs to go off of when looking at what lines might have a higher risk of what cancer or what the temperament difference is in a given line between intact and altered dogs. The answer is going to be different for everyone. After all the research and talking to people I did when I got my first puppy my decision is that I will not spay a large or slow maturing breed before 10months or after first heat cycle and I will not spay a small or fast maturing breed before 6months or after first heat cycle. However I will spay because I don't want to have to keep my dogs locked up while they are in heat. It negatively impacts their life by quite a bit to not be able to go to the dog park, agility classes, hiking on trails shared by many other dogs, etc... I haven't had to make a decision on males yet and while I'm heavily leaning towards not neutering at all I don't want the risk of my dog getting lose or someone's intact female getting lose and making more puppies. I wonder if a vet would cut the tubes without removing the testicles much like they are about to do on my husband... :P No impact on hormones or mental state but no ability to reproduce.
  • edited November -1
    Of interest, in my real job, in the medical profession, a lot of research has been coming out showing that testosterone supplementation in older men helps improve triglycerides and cholesterol, lowers body weight, improves bone strength and muscle mass, and reduces the risk of diabetes, cardiovascular events, and metabolic syndrome. It has not been shown to increase prostate cancer. Of course this is in humans (aging men), so it might not be applicable to dogs...but it is food for thought.
  • edited November -1
    Here's a statement found on another website ( http://www.healthypet.com/faq_view.aspx?ID=33 ):

Can my dog be neutered without actually being castrated?

Answer Well, if your one and only purpose in having your dog neutered is preventing him from fathering puppies, you could choose a vasectomy. Some veterinarians will perform this procedure, which will sterilize a dog but leave the genitals intact. It's a more difficult and time-consuming procedure than castration, and also more expensive.

A vasectomy doesn't provide all of the benefits of a full castration, however, which is why some veterinarians won't perform it. It doesn't protect against testicular tumors, which are common in older, intact males. It also doesn't protect against testosterone-influenced diseases, such as perianal hernia and perianal adenomas.

Also, because testosterone is still present in a dog's system after a vasectomy, your dog would still exhibit the behavior of a dog that hasn't been neutered. He would still try to go through the motions of mating with female dogs, for example. He would probably fight with other dogs to defend his territory and breeding rights, and he would mark his territory (inside and outside) with urine. He would also have the urge to roam to find mating partners.

If your main concern is having your dog look intact after surgery, you can have him castrated and have testicle implants placed in his scrotum. These are surgically placed inside your dog's tissue, much like breast implants. With these implants, your dog can be castrated without changing in appearance.