hunt training day 1.

edited January 2010 in Hunting & Working
Took Taro out today for a bit of hunt training and to check for gun shyness. I got to say, he is on the right track. We went after rabbits today and during the walk I took my .22 revolver and fired a few shots (my ears are ringing bad right now). He flentched a few times but soon ignored it and went about his way.

He got to chase after a few rabbits that I was unable to shoot so I'm gonna try that out again tomorrow. He was really close to getting one of the rabbits and Taro decided he was not going to let it go. He started digging after the rabbit and would not break away. Enjoy some of the puppy photos!

Comments

• edited January 2010
    A few more pics.
  • edited November -1
    It's good to know he's going to be a capable hunter!
    Keep up the good work.
  • edited November -1
    Wow! Taro is...such a big boy! He doesn't look like a puppy at all LOL

It's awesome to actually see what steps you're going through with him Gen! It'll be amazing to see the progress from fun-loving pup ---> to Full Fledged Hunter :)

He's going to give Riki a run for his money :p ~
  • edited November -1
    Nice!
    Yeah, those .22 revolvers are loud as hell. They don't boom, they crack. And you think your ears won't ever stop ringing. I tried to hit some squirrels earlier this season with a similar handgun...no luck. Maybe try a 20-gauge next time?
  • edited November -1
    Funny thing is that I had my 20 gauge side by side with me and I thought that would be too much to start. My ears are now ok after a nice meal of Yakiniku!
  • edited November -1
    You're all spoiled with your choice of guns over there. Good luck with the training, looks like Taro is doing good.
  • edited November -1
    He looks like he's having a blast! I'm glad to hear things went so well. Like you said, you never know what you'll get with a puppy. Seems like you've got a good one there!
  • edited November -1
    I was planning on going out today but looks like el nino is starting down here in socal so I think I'm going to the shooting range to shoot some guns.

Shigeru san: I am what you call a...um....gun otaku. I bought my third 8 gun safe on friday so my collection is growing even more! I should take a photo of what all I have.

Dave: Taro is doing really well and at his age, I think he has surpassed the other dogs as for his ability to understand basic commands and his eagerness to give chase. He even thought he was bigger and badder then the horses on the ranch. But the horses put him in check and he came running back to daddy.
  • edited November -1
    Taro looks good! You will have to keep us all up to date on his progress. lol on the horses. Koda learned the same lesson, but with cows.
  • edited November -1
    Do you worry about Taro getting fleas or worms from the rabbits? I've wanted to see if my dog would hunt them but I don't want him to get infested.
  • edited November -1
    excellent question. The rabbits carry fleas usually from june til about october and I dont really hunt them too much so not too worried with it but that is some thing which can be transferred to the dogs.