Sad Story of an English Bulldog I Met

edited June 2010 in General
I was at the park with my son and we saw an English Bulldog. She had the brightest red lower body color with a great brindle. Great looking dog. We spoke with the owner and said she rescued this female dog 6 months ago. My sister was at the park a couple of days later and ran into the same dog and owner. The story she got from the owner was that somebody has used this dog to produce 4 to 5 litters and then left her in a cage all day and barely took care of her before dumping her off at the pound. So from now on, if I hear of anyone in Las Vegas interested in an English Bulldog, I am going to strongly encourage them to do their research and be extremely cautious on who they are getting their puppy from.

Comments

• edited November -1
    I am shocked that she could produce that many puppies. Englishes almost always have to give birth via cesarean section because their heads won't fit through the birth canal.

While that is a very sad story, I am happy that the dog at least is now with someone who will be a loving guardian for her.
  • edited November -1
    Jessica that's probably why they bred her so many times. I heard of a french bulldog that was bred like 7 times because she always was able to deliver without a C-section. The dog did die, and the owners were prosecuted. It was about 6 years ago, but I still remember hearing it. So sad...
  • edited November -1
    Yes JessicaRabbit,
    the best part of the story is she now has an owner who will take care of her properly from now on.
  • edited November -1
    It is a sad story, and yes, I'm glad she's now got a good home.

One of my friends was really into bulldogs for awhile. She had a show quality male, was thinking of getting back into showing and breeding (she'd bred dalmations for years). I was always really uneasy with the whole thing....I just don't think that a breed that often is artificially inseminated and delivers by C-section is right. Anyway, her boy died at 5 of heart failure...on a slow walk one afternoon and he just collapsed and died. That pretty much ended her interest in the breed...she said she found out (too late) that it's not that uncommon for them to die very young...And it was just too heartbreaking.

Bulldogs make me sad....:(
  • edited November -1
    Poor girl. Things are looking up for her now, tho.

How many litters is considered a humane breeding career for a healthy breeding female? I know they can't/shouldn't be bred before they are two years old, and then ...? At what age are they generally retired from breeding?
  • edited November -1
    I don't really know how many is considered humane, but I know that some of the AA breeders I was looking at said they end up breeding a bitch only about 2-3 times. Not til she's two as you noted, but then only once a year at the most after that, so I've seen them stop at 5 years old.

My god, 7 litters is A LOT!