Dogs outside a store?

edited June 2010 in General
I've really been enjoying bike rides with Rakka, and I've noticed that the bike trail right by our house passes several grocery stores. It made me think I should bike to the grocer store now and again. It would seem like a shame to go on a bike ride and not take the pups so they can have a nice run, but then is there a secure way to leave a dog outside a store? I can't think of any real way, other than just tethering them somewhere out of view. Seems like a dognapping risk, but then it really *is* a shame to go out for a bike ride and not take the pups...

What do you think?

Comments

• edited November -1
    Etsu has nearly been stolen once and since then I NEVER leave him outside of stores alone, when I can't constantly keep an eye on him. The only acception is, when he is in his closed doggy-bike-trailer and there are a lot of people around. The trailer keeps him from being touched by strangers and the trailer with the cute doggy inside will get so much attention, that no one can get him out unnoticed - and people would get confused if someone tried to, because no one would get there with a trailer and then go without it.
    For me it is a trip to the stores or a trip with the dogs... :(
  • edited November -1
    Besides the dognapping issue I could see people pissing Rakka off enough for her to bite just to get some money out of a lawsuit. As much as it sucks, I would leave Rakka at home.
  • edited November -1
    I know how you feel, I have this issue with the post office, I hate going on walks without Akira but Akira is not allowed in the Post Office ... So I have to first take a walk, bring Akira back, go back to PO and come back! I'm too worried that something could happen while I'm in the store!
  • edited November -1
    I have pondered this one too. I like walking to the grocery store, but I can't chance someone walking up to Koda and him flipping out because I'm not there. Maymay would just love on them. Then my other worry is ofcourse them getting stolen, but if I really wanted to find something I could to lock them up.

I guess just know your dog. If the pups would do fine all alone, then get something to lock them up or make something.
  • edited November -1
    I take my three on quick trips to the convenience store all the time. Been taking Haru and Baron from when they were pups. Just tie 'em up out there and tell them to wait. They ignore everyone while waiting, but I always keep an eye out to make sure nothing's going on. When there are multiple dogs, people tend to stay away.
  • edited November -1
    "The only acception is, when he is in his closed doggy-bike-trailer and there are a lot of people around. The trailer keeps him from being touched by strangers and the trailer with the cute doggy inside will get so much attention, that no one can get him out unnoticed - and people would get confused if someone tried to, because no one would get there with a trailer and then go without it."

Well, I would also have my bike out there, so it would seem stranger to passers by that someone would take the dog but not the bike, so that's something.

Besides the dognapping issue I could see people pissing Rakka off enough for her to bite just to get some money out of a lawsuit.
    Hmm... someone would have to be pretty vicious to Rakka before she'd bite them. Mean enough that it would definitely draw attention. Still, a good reason to keep her away from a doorway or something where people might run into her accidentally, especially since you never know who might be afraid of dogs and freak out.

I have pondered this one too. I like walking to the grocery store, but I can't chance someone walking up to Koda and him flipping out because I'm not there. Maymay would just love on them. Then my other worry is ofcourse them getting stolen, but if I really wanted to find something I could to lock them up.
    Rakka's fine with strangers. Skella's fine, too, but she'd probably bark the whole time which would annoy people, so I think I would only take Rakka. She used to bark at men, now she just loves on everyone.

Brad - locking leash is a good idea. I wouldn't even be able to go for long, major shopping trips or anything because I'd be limited to little errands I could do on my bike. I don't think I'd be in the store long enough for someone who was really determined to get through a lock, and I doubt anyone would, especially in public.

Hmm... Maybe I'll try it once and see if I feel okay about it.
  • edited November -1
    "Well, I would also have my bike out there, so it would seem stranger to passers by that someone would take the dog but not the bike, so that's something."
    Now, the difference is that he is IN that closed trailer, so someone would have to open it and get him out, thats what people'd see and onder about. Even if you leash your dog to your bike you might not get the same attention... I don't knw. Maybe it would be worth a try?

The lockleash is a great idea! I looked it up this night after your post, Brad, but I couldn't find any address where it is available... :(
  • edited November -1
    It's available here: http://canadianpetessentials.com/ruffwear-doglock-locking-leash-p-1119.html

It's been discontinued, apparently. That sucks because I usually like to think about things forever before buying them. I don't have the guts for an impulse purchase.
  • edited November -1
    Looks great, but it seems like it's only meant for 12-28" necks, which rules out using it on our shiba. Drat. If anyone sees a smaller one somewhere, do post it.
  • edited November -1
    12 inch would be 30.5cm right?
    How small are your Shibas? Etsu has a neck of 36cm on the thinnest part, which would be 14.2 inches... o.O
  • edited June 2010
    I'd have to measure, but Violet has gotten out of her collar, which I thought was ~12". Of course, this could also be my inability to accurately estimate circumferences from memory. :-\

Will have to check tonight and see (she's 18 lbs for reference).
  • edited November -1
    My way of looking at this subject is, yes I'd trust my dog out alone in front of the store. However, would I trust all of the people that will be passing by to respect his space and not try to approach/tease/pet/intimidate him? Will every parent that walks by with a small child keep a close eye on their kid to make sure they don't run up to the animal?

99.999% of the time the answer is no way. Even in a dog friendly city like Austin.

I'd be concerned not only about my dogs being stolen, but someone who is not dog-literate being harmed.

I might look around the area for a dog friendly shop, or somewhere you could take them and keep them in view the entire time you are shopping.

Or if it's a small scale score, you could look for the owner and make a suggestion that there is a dog friendly waiting area for shoppers and that it could encourage business. Could be a long shot, but the worst they can do is say no.

Or make two trips! More exercise for you =)
  • edited November -1
    Oh, Etsu would be 23.8 lbs. And as a male he might have a thicker neck anyways...

"However, would I trust all of the people that will be passing by to respect his space and not try to approach/tease/pet/intimidate him? Will every parent that walks by with a small child keep a close eye on their kid to make sure they don't run up to the animal?"
    Since my dog doesn't like to be touched when cornered it would be dangerous to leave him in public unattended. He wouldn't harm people only snap to scare them away, but people who aren't familiar with dogs, would misunderstand it as real biting.

"Or make two trips! More exercise for you =) "
    That's the best plan ever! ;)