puppy hiccups and coughing?

Hi everyone some of you i may have already talked to in the indroductions category. Anyways i have an 8 and a half week old female Akita called Kai. Iv noticed the first day we got her she hiccups very often for a few mins at a time, sometimes after eating/drinking but sometimes when shes sleeping or just doing normal stuff. It doesnt seem to bother her and our vet said this was normal when we took her for her checkup. However shes now started to make a coughing/hacking sound immediatly after eating and sometimes hours later. Kinda sounds like a cat coughing up a fur ball. Again it doesnt see to bother her and she doesnt actually cough anything up as this only lasts for a few secs. Iv only seen her do this twice. Im keeping an eye on it to see if it gets worse, she has another appointment for her 2nd set of vaccinations in a week so i may wait till then to get her checked out again. Anyways just wondering if any of you have came across the same thing with your puppies and if its normal?

Comments

• edited November -1
    Bella as a puppy would hiccup a lot now she doesn't dunno why they get the hiccups maybe from excitement or drinking to fast who knows..

The coughing I dunno sorry. =(

Does Kai eat really fast or drinks tons of water?

I hope you get a answer.
  • edited November -1
    Hiccuping is pretty normal... Especially for puppies.

The coughing... It almost sounds like Kai is eating or drinking too fast. My girls will hack if they drink too fast. If you do not notice her eating or drinking too fast, you may want to take her into your vet for a check up... (although, I am sure you will be going soon for follow up shots).
  • edited November -1
    I don't know about the coughing either...I'd do what you're doing and have the vet check it out.

My boy hiccups a lot....Mostly while drinking, because I've noticed he is a very inefficient drinker. Partially because he HAS to have his paws in the water too, and so most drinking becomes playing (I try to run interference before we get to his favorite part, which paddling in the water and spreading it all over), but also, he seems to sort of bite at the water too, and I can just see and hear that he doesn't get much water in his mouth each time (and probably gets a lot of air too).

This pup is very like my GSD was a puppy--he drinks constantly. My GSD drank so much that his little belly would become distended and he was peeing constantly. A vet told me some pups just like that feeling of being superfull from water, but it is kind of wierd....
  • edited November -1
    oh yes kai wolfs down her meals and drinks water fast and lots of it....so it sounds like thats prob the cause of the hiccups and cough like sounds. Ill mention it to the vet next week anyways just incase though! Thanks everyone, im just so paranoid about my pup being healthy and normal!! lol
  • Akitas love to chew things sticks bits of clothes pegs E.C.T. one trick I learned while breeding rotties was to soak a piece of cotton wool in a sweet drink and feed it to the dog and it will pass through and pick up anything stuck on the way. He might be coughing and hacking due to something stuck.
    The cotton wool picked up an old chicken bone shard in one of my pups that was having the same problem.
  • edited September 2010
    Hiccups may occur due to spasm in their diaphragm.

How to Stop Puppy Hiccups:-

1. Talk your puppy for an energetic walk, run, or play with him/her (keep the puppy jumping and moving).
    2. Give your puppy his/her favorite treat and something to drink (milk or water).

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

edited by admin to remove advertising