What makes them "not for everyone?"

2»

Comments

• Well, first of all, NO breed is for "everyone" because everyone has different expectations, needs, and capabilities. That's why there are hundreds of dog breeds. When people say that their breed isn't for everyone, they're really just saying that you should do your homework before making a commitment like that. Although, some breeds are "not for most", like for example, I think there are very few households capable of properly owning a dog like a Tibetan Mastiff or CO.

I don't think there's anything particularly difficult about Shikoku (shiba, maybe), although the are different from your average dog, which can catch people off guard. There are a lot of characteristics people take for granted with the mainstream, popular breeds (and the mutts that are made up of these breeds) that they might assume that all or most dogs possess.

For instance, Noah's sister and her husband were convinced after meeting Tojo that they wanted a shiba inu. They talked to us about them lots and (said) they read all sorts of stuff about them on the internet. They even put a deposit down to get one, then while we were visiting Noah's mom's place, they wanted to take Tojo for a walk and then came back with him... ?! I asked what happened and they said they were playing with him in a field and he just took off. No leash, I asked? Nope. They let him off leash. They were totally bewildered as to why he ran off and when I explained that that's pretty typical for a shiba, they were really surprised because they kind of assumed that all dogs naturally come when they're called and want to be with their people. They took the good recall of the most popular breeds for granted. It still surprises me that they didn't know, though, because they said they read about them online and I'm not sure how you can spend any amount of time reading about shibas and not hear the horror stories of the bolting and the take-it-or-leave-it attitude to coming when called.

I actually think Shikoku are really good dogs that a lot of people would enjoy owning. They are energetic, but I don't even think they're abnormally energetic compared to other dog breeds. MOST dogs are under-exercised and MOST dog breeders will describe their breed as high-energy, which I think is true because dogs in general are high-energy. There aren't very many lazy dogs out there who don't enjoy exercise because historically, that kind of dog just hasn't been useful.

Energy isn't all there is to it, either. Tojo (shiba) would get tired a lot faster than Rakka (Shikoku) if I took them both out on a hike, but Tojo would definitely be a bigger pain in the butt if I got behind on his exercise. I've had a lot of periods of limited mobility with pregnancy complications and such, and Rakka has dealt with it all so well. If she misses a walk, she takes it in stride. She's the highest energy of any dog I've owned, in that she's the most athletic, tenacious, and has the most endurance, but she also deals with missed walks the best.

I'm really rambling. I'm pretty sure that for this to be a good post, I'd have to read over it and tie it all together better, but I've got to sleep now. :op
  • edited August 2010
    Corina, I love this quote of yours "while I think he is relatively an "easy" dog...most average pet households may deem him as instable, aggressive and difficult to train. I totally think he is the PERFECT dog (in terms of attitude/personality)! "

That is exactly how I feel about my 2 Shikoku, but most especially Kuma, who is very well described by your description of Shoushou

And Heidi, I agree with the comment that while Shikoku are very high energy outside, they can adapt to not always getting walks every day, as long as you can exercise them in a yard.
  • I like the term "High Presence" btw...
  • I like the term high presence too but am not sure what it means....
  • well said :)
  • wow David. Great, great, great article.

Some of these traits seems to apply to the Kai and the Shiba.

Very useful information, not only for the Shikoku but for other nihon ken breeds. Congrats (y)
  • Today I am thinking the reason Shibas are not the dogs for everyone is because they are punkass pests. I'm having to take some deep deep breaths before dealing with Toby lately. Because he's being a major pain.