Aggression vs. Dominance

So far our Shikoku Mason has been great with other dogs. He sometimes gets a little too focused on trying to hump the ladies, but at his age, I think it is relatively normal. However, while we were in our local dog run last week (we were in the small breed dog run, even though he is technically too large to be in there), a 7 month old lab came in. The lab was very shy and nervous with his tail between his legs. He was playful but super timid. Mason saw this and went on the offensive. He went after this dog like he wanted him for lunch. He pinned the lab against the fence and wouldn't let him move. But there wasn't any biting or growling or anything like that. That was the first time Mason ever showed any signs of aggression. Today, he did the same thing with another puppy. Just kind of curious if this behavior is something that I should have expected. It kind of took me by surprise since otherwise he has been pretty relaxed with other dogs.

Comments

• edited March 2011
    Based on your title, I assume you are asking if that behavior is Aggression and/or Dominance. My answer to that question would be no - it's neither aggression or dominance.

We've had a lot of discussion on this forum about the use of the term "dominance". Here's one: http://www.nihonken.org/forum/index.php?p=/discussion/comment/112682/

Also this one on the Shiba forum: http://www.shibainuforum.org/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=6867

----

As for his behavior, sounds like he's being a bully, which is not outside the realm of common behaviors in the Shikoku Ken IMHO. So, yea, maybe it should have been expected, tho I am sure it is still surprising.

My advice would be to avoid the dog park/run. I don't really think Shikoku are good "dog park" dogs. JMHO

----
  • Yeah, Rakka tends to be a bully to other dogs. She's pretty good about being called off other dogs, and I do take her to the dog park. I don't know if Mason could reach that point or not. I would be careful and only go if you really trust him. Rakka will actually ignore a dog who is trying to start a fight with her, which isn't typical for shikoku (from what I hear from other people) and is very, very different from how she behaved when we first got her. She'll still pester dogs sometimes, but it's pretty mild and I can call her off. We used to have an Iceland sheepdog who was very timid, and Rakka was always "detaining" her by just staring at her and charging her if she moved. I think it's the bark-to-detain instinct in the shikoku that makes them do that. It was a really poor pairing for packmates, and when we meet dogs like that at the dog park, I have to direct Rakka's attention to another more boisterous dog.

So, what did you do in response to this behaviour?

Here's a thread with some videos of Rakka at the dog run. You'll notice that there's a husky that she picks on while he's leashed, and then plays with him fine when he's off leash.

http://www.nihonken.org/forum/index.php?p=/discussion/5869/rakka-off-leash/#Item_12
  • I wouldn't call it aggression or dominance either. Although, I have heard a lot of people refer to similar behavior as such. I would just call it bad manners. I would also call humping bad manners.

I think it's typical Shikoku behavior. I would stay away from dogparks. Other dogs just don't need to be punked like that.

I think Ahi punked me like that. lololol. I know Shoushou did. :-)
  • I agree with the others. I don't think that most shikoku are dog park dogs. I think that they can have harmonious relationships with many dogs that they know, but that it can be touch and go with new dogs at first (ie, dog parks).

Sounds like he was being a bully too. If it were me, I would correct and redirect him when he does that type of behavior. I agree with Heidi that the bark to detain comes out with more shy dogs. Actually, I know that my male does it to my female (bark to detain) to try and get her to play. She is not shy with him. But I could see how both of mine would not do well with shy or timid breeds/dogs. They like rough play and they also can try to take advantage of the situation and pester. Kind of like how I have to redirect them away from the house cats.
  • Thanks for the responses. I guess I could say that his behavior was not unexpected but more of a surprise considering how good he has been with all dogs up until this point. I especially was surprised in that he went after such an easy target, a dog that was a total non threat. A bully and a punk would definitely be the best way to describe it. As for the pestering or rough playing, he really hasn't shown any signs of it. He likes to chase and be chased but he's not a rough player at all. He's mostly an observer and he picks and chooses who he wants to play with.

As for the dog park, I usually frequent the one in the park that we live across from at certain times, either very early when the sun is rising or late at night and meet up with people/dogs that we know. As for letting him interact with a new dog, just trying to get him to meet lots of different dogs and people while he is still fairly young.

Thanks again for the responses. Redirection works well with him. But getting his attention is a work in progress. He's definitely not as food motivated as our shiba is. But, and a big but, he hasn't even been living with us for 3 weeks now, so in that respect, he has been doing phenomenally.

• Our Shikoku really love our attention, so we've found that sometimes the best way to redirect them is to play with them. Call him and then run away getting him to chase you. That might help get him redirected away from a situation like that. Just a thought.

Cho Cho, his sister, is a very social dog but tends to bully other dogs a bit too, and then she gets in over her head if the other dog doesn't take to the bullying very well. Dunno if that makes you feel any better. LOL... Maybe I'm just saying "you're not alone".

----