Another new Shiba owner...HELP!!!

I brought home a 9 week old Shiba 3 weeks ago...I had no idea what I was getting myself into. Had I known now what I didn't know then...I probably would have gotten another breed...but now that I have him...I have to step up and take care of him the best I can. His name is Orion...after the astronomical constillation Orion The Hunter. I am an astronomy buff and thought that fit him. I have read up a lot on the breed and from what I've read I will really enjoy him...and he is like what I have read about them too...stuborn...fiesty...listens when he wants to...he gets VERY rowdy sometimes...but he is also very smart. He learned to set the second day in his new home...he is downing too....and learning off. I am using crate training for house breaking and he is doing quite well...he has had some accidents but they were my fault...so he doesn't get scolded for those.  As much as I want to I don't know if I will be able to take us to train profissionaly...I may have to do it on my own. My biggest problem with him is when he wants to play he will want to bite and jump sometimes... he just gets soooo hyper sometimes. I think I may have given him to much freedom to soon...and we played pretty rough too like tug etc...I keep him in his crate more now than when i first brought him home...but I feel bad because he stays in it all day while I'm at work...but one good thing is that I work in the apartment business and live where I work...so I am able to go take him out to do his thang when needed. Any advice on training myself or how to keep him a little calmer?!?!? I was divorced a little over 2 years ago and had be tossing around the idea for the last month or so to get a dog...I thought it would be good to have a little buddy around to keep me company and he's just so damn cute I love the little guy...but he can drive me nuts sometimes. When I take him outside he wants to pick up every rock...leaf...cigarette butt...acorn... etc... that he sees and doesn't want to poop...he will pee with no problem but the other is another story unless he needs to go bad. I've had old yard dogs when I was young but never raised a special breed type like the Shiba...so I know I have my work cut out for me!! Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• edited February 2008

No way in hell are you going to get a calm Shiba at 9 weeks old.   I believe the maturing age is around 2 years if that!  Lots of exercise will be your best bet.  Most dogs require at least 45 minute walks.  Its good that even though you weren't expecting this kind of behavior for a dog that you are being responsible and willing to take charge and do your best.  Shiba's have a lot of energy and can stay in apartments and homes with no yard but you need to exercise him daily to release all the pent up energy so he doesn't get destructive.  Keeping him in a crate for long periods of time can cause seperation anxiety and may cause him to not like his crate and feel stressed.  Make sure that when you do crate him try to give him special toys or treats that he really likes and will keep him busy for the time that you are gone.  And once you let him out, put those toys and treats away, so the next time he has to go in it, he thinks "yay the crate! I get to get my special treat now!"  So its not always a bad experience where you are leaving him for long periods of time with nothing special to look forward to. 

I think with dogs that are more independent like the Shiba, you need to put the I AM THE LEADER EVERYTHING IS MINE rule into place asap.  Shiba's are extremely smart dogs and will start to figure out how to cheat and outsmart you.  In another post, I was giving some tips to another member about using "NILIF" Nothing In Life Is Free.  This is a great way to teach your pup that you are in control of everything and he needs your approval to do anything.  For example, feeding.  Make sure he see's you eat first (drink, snack, eat a whole meal) and make sure he see's it.  Then when you're done make him sit, once he sits put the food down and say "OK!" in a happy chipper voice.  Whenever he wants something or even if its a daily routine, you should make him do something so he knows you're in charge.

Shiba's are a lot of work, they aren't for everyone, but if you work with them constantly and stick with it, they are the most amazing dogs ever.  I hope this helps, good luck!  And welcome to the forum!

• edited November -1
    Another important thing is to try to remain calm, even when you're going nuts. Any excitement your pup senses can read as insecure or play. Owning an Akita or Shiba is an exercise in learning Zen.
  • edited November -1

Puppies are very rowdy.  If he is biting too much, try correctin him by "yelping" in a high pitch, loudly, like another dog would do.  Turning your back and walking away can also help.  However he is a puppy, and puppies are crazy.  They need to have someone play with them and help wear them out.

I'm going to go ahead and disagree with Romi's advice on having to eat before your dog does, it's just silly.  Making the dog sit before he gets his food, however is a good idea.  Make him sit for everything, sit for the leash on, sit for the treat, sit before the door opens, etc.  This might take awhile though, because he is a puppy and wont always want to learn, or be paying attention.

Also.  Get yourself a subscription to the Whole Dog Journal. www.whole-dog-journal.com

It is a great source for information on raising your dog properly and to be healthy.  There are many articles on training, food, and wellness.  They also have back issues and articles available for purchase, if you are wondering about a specific issue they might have covered in the past. 

I would STRONGLY suggest you at least take your Shiba to puppy socilization.  It is very important for your dog to learn at a young age how to interact with other dogs and people.  If you think you have a lot going on, find a way to go to training, it is worth it!  Also pick up The Other End of the Leash by Patricia McConnell, it's a fantastic book for learning about why dogs do what they do, and how they function/think.

There is a lot of good information on this messagebaord too, especially about food.  You will want to get Orion on something healthy.

Also, buy a ton of toys, but do not keep them out all at the same time.  Keep some hidden so that you can rotate his toys and keep his intereste in them at a high level.  Toys that you can hide his dinner or treats in are great, it gives him a reward for playing with the toy and will stimulate him mentally.

• edited November -1

I agree with everything that has been said here. Patience is key. You're little guy is exploring and learning about the world and you have to help him understand what is ok and what isn't. The earlier you establish yourself as his leader and provide appropriate boundaries for him the better.

Don't worry either, this forum is probably the best source of information on Shibas available (at least in my humble opinion). Don't hesitate to ask anything. I'm sure someone here as gone through it already and can provide some insight. Along those lines, I suggest reading reading reading reading. My philosophy on dog training has been to get as much information as I possibly can and to pick and choose the parts that work for me. I know people on this forum will probably disagree with me, but getting a professional trainer is not as important as making sure that you know what you are doing. A good professional trainer will teach you how to interact with your dog more than they will teach your dog anything. Socialization, however, is vitally important and that can't be achieved by you alone. You will need to take him to places where there are other puppies.

As far as the refusing to poop goes, walks are what I used with Lucy to get her to poop. He's probably too young at this point, but be ready when he gets a little older to walk with him a lot. Lucy and I walk an average 3.5 miles a day, the majority of it in the morning. Aside from being good for you, it is good for your dog and is an excellent pack activity that will strengthen your bond with you dog. It will also encourage him to move his bowels. 

Keep your chin up and stay patient. You've got the right attitude.  

• edited November -1

Thanks for the comments guys...some of the things you all have suggested I am already doing...like the NILIF...I make him set for every thing...sometimes set and down as well...if he wants me to pet him...he has to sit...dinner...set...etc. Trying the yelp when he gets a little fiesty and wants to nibble my arm...that just makes him a little more excited...walking away from him...he just wants to follow behind me jumping up. He is quite the little rascle sometimes. I know I've got a long road ahead of me...but like I said in the orginal post...I will do my best for him. I did buy a book last weekend on training and today received "Shiba Inus...A Complete Pet Owners Manual" It is a pretty good book on the Shiba and there traits etc. I'm sure I will be asking a lot of questions here. I am like you dlourisroberts...when I am interested about something or I am going to start a new hobby...I read everything I can and do a lot of research on the subject. I did that before I got Orion...I did a LOT of reading online on dogs and dog training. I just didn't review anything on Shibas as had never heard of them before. So...the journey of my raising my little buddy begins...I will keep you updated on his progress. Thanks again all.

PS. Any suggestions on chew toys...he has several rawhide type...but the smaller ones hoe goes through to quickly. He has a lot of toys but I leave them all out...I may try putting a few up so they can be rotated. I also give him a treat when i put him in the crate and sometimes while I'm home and is in the crate I will give him one now and then just to let him have something good for being good.

• edited November -1
    Nyla-Bones, they last forever.
  • edited November -1

Hi Tx,

My new shiba pup is now turning 15 weeks.  It almost seems like years since mine was 9 weeks LOL.  It is amazing how fast they grow and how easily time can slip by. 

I am by no means an expert on shibas, nor can I decree any knowledge, but I can offer some of my own experience so far. 

My little one has been so good.  It seems he is ignoring me when in fact he is very attentively not looking at me.  He is absorbing everything.  My advise would be to spend every moment you have in the evenings with him.  Put aside your work, put aside your tv, put aside all of your "rest time"; because this is such a crucial and fast time of growth for your little guy.   As for daytime being locked up, I would get yourself a day-run to put the crate into allowing him to sleep but with the crate door open.  Only lock him into it when you go to bed.  I got one of those toddler runs from Lowe's and it has been fabulous.   I find he is very nocturnal in nature and sleeps during the day even while I am here all day for him.  Come 5 pm and he turns into the vampire dog LOL.

As for the "poop" business.  I found out that my little one loves to go in very leafy overgrown areas.  He is not fond of going on clipped lawns or cleared out dirt areas.  So I set aside some areas for him with leaf debri and he goes there without any problems.  I think this has something to do with the breed wanting to be clean.  Pooping in a leafy area might even have a more earthy smell too I would think. 

The biting part is a constant reminder thing.  It is more of teaching him to not bite so hard that I am more concerned about.  A dog afterall uses his mouth like a hand and so learning how to mouth without gripping too tightly is a task in itself.  One thing that I have to agree with reading and learning is that up to 16 weeks a pup does have a "free card" when it comes to playtime so I have tried to respect that in our occasional scoldings.  I have even gotten a pair of leather gloves that I put on to wrestle, and then during the playtime I take a glove off and allow him to bite but warn him to be nice.  If he bites hard I say no, if he continues to bite hard I put the gloves away and bite time is over.  It did not take long before he stopped biting the hand and now it has been a week and I have not had to use the gloves.  I do not want him to associate all gloves with this practice and will likely discontinue it and not use those gloves again.  I am sure my vet would have a fit but we sure got alot of great rough play in without me getting hurt LOL.  He is responding very well to consistant play and behavior on my part. 

As for graduating from one moment to the next, I say that you will know when you have made progress.  I am amazed at how far this little guy has come and I am so pleased with his conditioning.  I can only say that my own training is coming along well, LOL, if you ask him. 

Goodluck, I cannot wait to see pictures. 

Ron

• edited November -1

Hey TX.

I didn't read all the comments completely, but the key with the yelping if he nips you and then ignoring is standing still so he won't follow you. Yelp LOUDLY to startle him. And when he goes in for more attention turn your back, cross your arms. When your pup looks at you for attention, turn around again. If he continues to chase you in a circle, just stare up and away. Keep at that til your dog walks away. Yes, this can take a long time, but you'll have to do it.

Mika was super bad once, I made her lay in a submissive position for an hour. I'm standing around watching for that entire hour. She wasn't to move.

Also, I wouldn't leave all the toys out at once, that gives your pup control of the toys. Allow him one or two at time when he's good. And I never give my dogs rawhide. 

• edited November -1

I just wanted to say - Welcome to the forum txharleyrider46!

Shiba puppies can be pretty hectic, I had a similar hazing period with my first Shiba - they are worth it tho! Also, if it makes you feel any better, Shikoku puppies are much more hectic (most of them anyway). Wink

• edited November -1

For toys, Premier has a great line of toys called Busy Buddies

http://www.busybuddytoys.com/

They have nylabone type toys, combo toys, bottles, and rubber toys that you can put food in.  I like the bouncy bone that unscrews and you can put the rawhide rounds on the end.  The hollow puple squirrels are great, you can put peanut butter in them (just a couple tsps or so) and freeze it.  Then when you need something to occupy the dog, pull one out of the freezer and it should keep the puppy busy for a good while.

• edited November -1

Welcome to the forum, and don't worry about being overwhelmed because that's fairly normal. 

This is all good advice based on the experiences that I've had with my pup. I would second the puppy class suggestion. I've just started taking a regular obedience class and I can't help but be envious of the amount of fun that the pups and their owners seem to have. Just think of it as a very sound investment.

The mouthing thing is also right on. The dog needs explore and play, but doesn't have any fingers. We got a cheap pair of welder's gloves for playtime. He knows what mouthing is and what biting is, and he also knows that just because we tolerate one doesn't mean he gets away with the other. In fact, I don't think anything about prying stuff out of his mouth with my fingers. He is already in enough trouble for trying to eat something gross.

Off topic, but Orion has always been my favorite constellation; for me it just kinda jumps right out of the sky when you look up. IMHO it is also an appropriate name for critter that was more or less genetically engineered to hunt.

• edited November -1

The only advice I have as a new Shiba owner, of the spectacular KING, is love em, love em, love em, even when you want to wring their little necks.  King just turned 1 year on Jan 8th and it's amazing how calm he really is, I know most dogs at one year aren't so calm. I'm either really lucky or he doesn't want to disappoint me, like me kids when they were younger.Wink Or maybe it's the wrath of that big, scary woman when I give him the look.  For King, his stomach is the key to his behavior.  Find the treat that he drools over and have it handy.  All good deeds deserve a treat.

I've gotten so much good advice on here, but the best thing to know is that you aren't alone! 

Welcome!

Kevin

• edited November -1
    My birthday is Jan. 8th too! :c)
  • edited November -1
    So is my daughters!  Jan 8th is a good day!  Mine is the 13th.  January is just a great month of birthdays.
This discussion has been closed.