Hunting the Dogo Argentino in New Zealand

edited August 2011 in Hunting & Working
Its breed soley for hunting and gaurding but also makes a great family dog if you
raise them with a firm hand and soft heart. Dogo Argentino
My pup Bruno is now 11 months old and seen here play fighting with my 50 kg mastiff Stark. Bruno has only caught one small pig but is almost ready now to be hunted with the pack.
Photobucket

Comments

• Nice! How does the dogo do on rough terrain with lots of steep hills? Can they keep at it all day? I have heard from people who have hunted with them in places like Japan that they tire out easily a really hilly areas.

Great looking dog though. I'm sure he will make a great hog dog for sure. Are you planning on crossing him with another dog?
  • Yes Shishiinu- They do struggle to get through the thick bush how ever if you keep their food up you can hunt them hard for 2- 4 days. I let the smaller dogs find and stop the pig and keep the Dogo with me on a rope when I am in hard country. I only let the Dogo off in these situations when the pig is close. In NZ we cross these with smaller dogs and that cross is known as Monteria. This pure Dogo is only young and has only been on one pig in the wild. Very strong prey drive and fast for a large dog. Takes the pig over the back of the neck rather than the ear.
  • He's a very handsome dog! I hadn't heard of Monteria before. Very interesting. Man, I would really like to live in NZ.
  • That's really awesome! That makes a lot of sense, kind of like what the hog hunters here do. They wil almost always have a bully on a leash and use it for catching the hog once the bayers corner the hogs. Only problem for us in good old californiastan is we have a 3 dog limit for hunting hogs so I'm tapped out. My rotti seems to be a good catch dog so I have taken her out a few times.
  • In the old days hunters use to use Rotti's for holding dogs here in NZ. Its good to hear thaty still get used. Do you keep your rotti on a rope or does he hunt with the pack?
  • She usually stays on a lead but I'll let her go if I see taro on a good track. Koyuki has a really nice sharp bark so its really easy to find them. I have seen rottis still being used in europe to hunt hogs.