Comments

• edited April 2012
    Wow, all the things that the neighbors "had to" do to the poor animal seemed pretty vicious in and of themselves. Beating it with a boat paddle? Strangling it? These are not defensive actions taken on the part of people being "terrorized" by a vicious animal. They are wrathful and vengeful displays of cruelty.

Not to say the animal isn't dangerous and aggressive. It probably is. It probably scared the living shit out of people, too. But they made the situation worse, not better. I can't believe these people could say these things out loud (testify to them in court no less!) without a modicum of shame; even use them as justification for ordering the creature's death.

And this decision was made based on the testimony of people who admitted to perpetrating acts of violence against this animal, without any actual evidence of harm (eg. an injury of some kind, property damage, etc) the animal caused? Eesh.
  • Yeah, that's pretty wierd and not cool to do to an animal--though of course I would beat a dog off my dogs with a boat paddle if I had to. The whole thing seems pretty dubious to me: the people admit the dog growled a lot but was not vicious, but then why was he loose? And they said if he was he would have "hurt someone by now?" Well, that's really making a case for your dog!

And the dog does not look like it has any Akita in him, frankly, and looks more GSD, though he probably is a wolf hybrid. I dunno--my mom's wolf hybrids were so wolfy they didn't look at all like dogs (or smell like them or act like them) so perhaps I'm just used to a more high content wolf hybrid. (And for the record: they do NOT make good pets).
  • that is the most ridiculous article about a wolfdog that i have read yet. there are so many things wrong here.

1) this is such a great example of why people should not own wolfdogs as "pets" because they arent "pets" by any means. the primary reason someone gets a wolfdog is the "cool" factor and most people treat them like dogs and they are really quite different from domestic dogs, they require different sort of training and need to be especially keen on containment. my kennel at home is made up of chicken wire buried under the ground, 6ft chain link fencing and chicken wire over the top, and even then, i routinely check to make sure there are no holes anywhere that either of my dogs can fit through.

2) contrary to popular belief, wolves and wolfdogs will rarely chose to attack any person. if given a situation where they are faced with a human, especially one that is aggressing towards the animal, they will almost ALWAYS chose to flee, rather than attack. now, similar to a domestic dog, if the option to flee is not available, they will resort to aggression, but it is typically because they fear for their own life. wolfdogs are timid by nature, they dont regularly seek out a fight. now, with the other dogs, i can see that if the wolfdog hasnt been brought up correctly, they may go after another dog. they have high drives and can be a little touchy.. its something that needs to be taught at a very young age, socialization with a wolfdog is an absolute must.

by the sound of the "witnesses" that were being "terrorized", it sounds like they made matters so much worse. half of what they did was unnecessary. not to mention that most of the "viciousness" described is almost humorous. the animal knocked over a kid? omg! so vicious! i didnt see where it said it mauled the girl? the animal is over 100lbs and by the sounds of it, didnt get out much with the owner, there is probably a reason the dog tried to escape so frequently, they need exercise to get out all the pent up energy, its not exactly a low energy mix of dogs.. hell, my moms 50lb pit bull knocked a kid over while playing once, but id laugh like crazy if someone called her viscous for it.

"jumping at her and pawing at her chest as she shielded her child." i am pretty sure that if a 100+lb dog *really* wanted to hurt her, it would have used its teeth. sounds like just rough playing to me. naughty behavior of jumping up, yes, but the dog could have easily caused severe injury if that was its intent.

it honestly just sounds like this neighborhood has a beef with either the owners or simply the fact that there is a wolfdog in THEIR neighborhood. i have personal experience with wolfdogs and am very passionate about them, having done tons of research on wolfdog behavior and these stories just sound so far fetched and unrealistic to me compared to what ive experienced... =/

i wish people would stop getting wolfdogs unless they can handle it, and even then, i hope they are extremely cautious. the decision to get a wolfdog is not a small matter. you have to be positive you can handle it and you need to be sure your bringing it into a safe environment, otherwise, you can find yourself in a very bad situation. there are tons of stories about wonderfully behaved wolfdogs being shot and poisoned in their own backyards by fearfully ignorant neighbors =( there are plenty of other *domestic* breeds out there with more primitive looks but a better temperament (tamaskans, huskies, mals, seppalas, utonigans, czech, etc), theres really no reason to get a wolfdog as a "pet".

had to chime in on this one, i apologize for the long post but every bit of this story just bothers me...
  • I agree that the whole story is weird. I also agree with Lisa that it's probably not even a wolf hybrid. It looks nothing like one.

Sadly, there are a lot of people who take advantage of those who think owning a wolf is "cool" and sell wolfy-looking mutts for a lot of money. They propagate a lot of false information relating to wolfdogs and are just plain shady.
  • This made me cry... for the dog.... Gee, I wonder why it might be growling at someone when it was hit with a boat paddle... I'd be growling too and would have bit already. I'd say the dog showed tremendous restraint for the knuckle heads it came into contact with. RIP pup pup.. :o(
  • Ugh... dumb story. Agree with you guys ^^

One of my ex's had a low content wolfdog GSD mix(25% timberwolf 75%GSD). Sweetest/smartest dog. Very high energy... we had to hit tennis balls with a baseball bat to keep up with her. One time we were waiting on the cable guy... he had been outside playing with her for 30 mins before he knocked on the door. Great at home... a terror if you tried to take her to the park (she didn't want anyone near us)
  • edited April 2012
    I feel bad for the dog. His owners failed him. No dog should ever be loose where strangers can do stuff like that to them (although, I more think that about the choke-hold---not sure what I would have done with a dog guarding my car from me).
  • Yeah, you know, thinking about this more, the aggression part of this is odd. My mom's wolf hybrids got loose once and it was hell to catch them. They certainly were not trying to mess with people--they just ran, and shied away from everyone, including her. She basically had to wait them out until they were ready to come home.

(Not to say they won't ever bite. Her female ended up being euthanized because she bit my mom's asshole ex. He was drunk and fell on her. But she bit him badly in the inner thigh, and animal control insisted on it, probably because she was clearly a hybrid. It was pretty awful, actually, though the bite was also pretty bad. Just one bite, but she did some damage).
  • So sad this happen. :(

I'd say this dog is a low or no content wolf dog coarse picture isn't the best.

Best way to tell is by look of the dog, way it walks and behaves. Also their feet are bit different then normal dogs.

Here's pics I took of Timber high content puppy and low to mid content Koda. I wished I got better pictures it was neat meeting two wolf dogs in person though. I don't think I'd ever own one, but love learning about them.
    Their owners rescued Koda from a owner who had her tied up on a tree she was fed and given water, but was never given the attention she needed.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=160890497286897&l=3f2cce6bdf

Yeah most wolf dogs would run away from a human if confronted, but if it's lower content or low mid content the dog in them might have some influence on their behavior.

That's why they say wolf dogs make horrible guard dogs because a burglar came in the wolf dog would hide while they ransacked the place. Someone on dogster said they got a wolf dog to be a guard dog so sad I bet it's just a husky or husky gsd mix..

Even so if a wolf dog feels cornered or threatened and if it feels it can't escape it'll fight back if needed too despite content it's like saying a poodle can't hurt anyone because it's a froo froo dog..

Most ads I see is for husky pups or husky mix stating they're wolf dogs.

I mean look at this stud ad for a "wolf dog"
    http://www.domesticsale.com/classifieds/a591200.html

Doesn't look like even a low content wolf dog and the person studs him out and sells pups as wolf dogs. crazy!

Too bad this person owned this dog they probably shouldn't own any type of dog with how they handled this one.

Wolf dogs require a lot more then normal dogs especially mid- high ones.. Dig guards high enough fence it can't jump or climb out, lean ins on the fence, and double gate..

I know some who allow their wolf dog in the house, but they need be in their enclosure if they're going to be alone because they can be very destructive in the house they will chew on walls, couches, doors and so on.
  • @Saya yes that is a classic example of how people think they have "wolf dogs." it makes me sick, knowing a family that actually breeds and raises wolf dogs, the kinds of things people pass off as them is asinine. and yet there is such miscontent towards them, with such skittish behavior towards humans!
  • After my mom's experiences, I'm pretty much against people having them as pets, and certainly against breeding them...I don't believe the world needs more wolf hybrids, most of which end up in sanctuaries or more likely, euthanized. I think it's awful.

And wow, that dog above is so NOT wolf!
  • They certainly don't make the greatest pets, and the higher content hybrids usually require a strict raw meat diet, so i do agree. But there is always going to be a niche of strange people wanting strange dogs, for whatever reason. Just wish people could get their facts straight on what their dog IS and not try things like this!
  • Up date on this..

http://theadvocate.com/home/2720715-125/wolf-dog-to-patrol-angola

Interesting, but I don't think most wolf dogs make good guard dogs kinda like how a husky wouldn't..

Wolf dogs are usually shy, and would run away if given choice, but would attack if backed into corner.

Coarse I'm no expert just what I know from reading.

I think it's more of a gsd mix or husky type mix then wolf. It's at least low or no content hard to tell since only one picture, but ears are pretty big.
  • read the article... looks like someone at the prison with influence has a special interest and gets them to "guard" might not make good guard dogs, but I'm sure inmates might be afraid of "wolves". So works that way right? Hopefully they do get good vet care and training
  • I am sorry to be negative on this, but the whole thing from the dog being a wolf hybrid, escaping multiple times, given oatmeal for breakfast, euthanasia issue, and now the prison warden thing just sounds stupid and a recipe for horrid training. Seriously??? .... Sounds like national Enquirer news.... What a screwed up ball of wax.....The whole issue sounds f'd up. Hard to find it credible on multiple levels.

Snf