Grusome Discovery

edited April 2008 in General

I look outside and see Jake's butt sticking up from the ground, his face buried in the hole he dug by the fence that separates us from a neighborhood behind.  OMG.  He was planning to dig his way out to have a closer look at the dogs behind that fence.

I'm afraid Jake's freedom during the work days has just been lost.  It's back to gated in the kitchen during those days.  I hate it, but he has left me no choice.

I filled the hole with large rocks but not sure what else I'll need to do.

Comments

• edited November -1
    LMAO. I know it's stressful for you, but the image of Jake's butt up in the air with his face in the ground is making me fall off my chair.
  • edited November -1
    Dang hole was a foot deep.  No telling how long he's been planning his getaway!
  • edited November -1

Many people I know with shibas buy chicken wire or something similiar.  They buy 3 foot sections and put 1.5 feet of it on the fence and tack it on, then the other 1.5 feet is on the ground.   So it's like an L.  You can secure it with ground steaks and then put patio stones over it, or let the grass grow through it.

Leaving a dog outside all day isn't really safe anyhow.  You never know who might try to steal your dog, it happens more than you would think.  In a lot of big cities they get stolen to be used as bait dogs in dog fighting rings. 

• edited November -1

I know.  I suppose  his playdays are a thing of the past.  Many people said "someone will steal him" and my reply was always "they couldn't catch him".  I would just die if something happened to him so it's back to the kitchen for 9 hours. 

I may try the chicken wire setup.  The fence is in a large nature area with no grass but I don't care how it looks, as long as he's safe.

• edited November -1
    Lol silly Jake. Poor baby didn't even get to finish his new upgrade for the backyard.
  • edited November -1
    we have a chicken wire set up - it was a necessity for our escape artist, Kitsune Houdini.
  • edited November -1
    Haha. I hate to do this Elaine, but I have to award Jake a point. ;-)
  • edited November -1
    Yea, I hear ya.  One for the Jake Man, Zero for Mom.  I suppose we should have gone to the picnic to burn off some of his energy.  After having paid $1,000 to the tax man, and another $300 to the accountant who prepared them, I didn't have gas money or the motivation.
  • edited November -1

i just got done with an interview with NYC shiba rescue to become a foster home for them specifically and the interviewer has 8 shibas - she said she is tempted to search the grounds for a set of blue prints because she thinks her shibas plot their escape in various parts of her property.

• edited November -1
    That is so cute!  Sorry Elaine.  Shiba means plotting!
  • edited April 2008
    His long-range plans have been thwarted, for now.  He just ran full force back to HIS spot only to discover all the large rocks filling his space.  I could see his confusion.  I knew I was saving those rocks for something.
  • edited November -1
    Ok, maybe you can get a point for that too. :-)