best dog toys???

edited April 2008 in General
for me the best dog toy ever is the nylabone bone, BIG size for my little russell :)... believe me, terriers can be destructives ( *-* )... ive tried every kind of toys, but the nylabone ones are really good and durable, at least for me and my Avy :)

Comments

• edited November -1
    Everyone here raves about the Kongs. It'll be a necessity in this household.
  • edited April 2008

I've been compiling a list of dog toys I want to buy (yes, this is how I spend my free time, lol).  I'm the most attracted to the ones that are stuffable.  I want to start feeding all the meals out of stuffable/treat-dispensing toys.  I have a small kong for Tojo, but I wish I have gotten a bigger one.  I ordered a large blue kong for Rakka, so we'll see when it gets here.  I have the everlasting treat ball and that's a big hit!  It's good for retrieving and chewing on and it's stuffable.  Some other ones I plan to get are:

Buster Cube

Everlasting Fun Ball (different from the Everlasting Treat Ball, which I have)

Busy Buddy Tug-a-Jug

TreatStik

Squirrel Dude

Udder Tug - I looove this idea.  I know both my pups will so crazy for it, but especially Rakka.  She loves stinky stuff.  

Oh yeah, I also have a Kong Ball which is awesome. Tojo loves to retrieve and he loves tennis balls, but if I leave him alone with one for two seconds, it's ripped to shreds, so we have the Kong Ball for indoors and for in the yard (where it won't get lost) and then I buy cheapie tennis balls for out on walks where I don't care too much if they get lost. I mean, he likes retrieving, but he's still a shiba and doesn't always bring it back! He have the "Where's the tennis ball?" command, but yeah... he's not perfect at it! 

• edited November -1
    I like any toy that I can put food in.  Premier's line of Busy Buddy toys including the above mentioned Tug-A-Jug are great.
  • edited November -1
    My dogs dont like the kongs. I dont get why?  I even put peanut butter in them and they dont seem to even like it then. Hmm.....
  • edited November -1
    Yea your probably right. I guess carpet and plaster walls taste much more appealing to them. LOL.Tongue out
  • edited November -1
    Tape the Kongs to your wall lmao.
  • edited November -1
    My Shiba really likes his Kong, Puppy Kong Wubba, Nylabone, Nylabone Keys, and Busy Buddy. He also has Coleman Dinosaur toys that are supposed to be tougher and last longer, but the squeaker doesn't last long. It does make a very interesting noise, though. :) And when the squeaker wears out, sounds like a dying animal ( depending on which one you get xD ) I got the Stegosaurus and the Brontosaurus ones, the Wooly Mammoth sounds rather funny.
  • edited November -1

Have any of you guys ever gave your pups the ice cream for dogs called Frost Paws? OMG my dogs LOVE that stuff so much! Its funny because when someone comes over and digs through my freezer they think its a single cup of human ice cream and I catch them before they eat it! LOL

• edited November -1
    Jamie - Frostie Paws are great, however you can make something very similar for much less by yourself.  A little bit of yogurt, some peanut butter, maybe a mashed up type of fruit, some honey, or salmon oil, mix it together, stuff it in a kong or an ice cube tray and you have your own frostie paws.
  • edited November -1
    Thanks Brandon! I will have to try it. Im sure they would love it! They love anything cold. They think its ice cream then...lol
  • edited November -1

Yaksha loves the kong,  i gave him a puppy size one and always stuff it with goodies.  It really is helping a lot with bench training and keeping him entertained when training to be left alone.  Also the tennisbal attached to a rope is a lot of fun while we are at the puppy school for the playtime in between.

• edited November -1
    i have fleece tug toys from an etsy seller whose profits go to rescue - Rescue me tugz, she makes a great product and ships asap - the tennis fleece tugz are a favorite in my house!
    rescuemetugz.etsy.com
  • edited November -1
    I've been looking for a toy for Kuma, that keeps him busy for a while and stimulates his cognitive abilities. The kong and the balls you put food in for him to roll are nice to keep him busy, but they're pretty straight forward. I'd like something that would make him think a bit. This, of course, to keep him busy and away from stuff around the house to chew out of boredom, but also because while in training you can really see that's he's putting quite a lot of brain power into things, especially while learning something for the first times. So it would be nice to channel that.
    I've found a puzzle that has these pins to pull up to uncover bits of food,but it's made of wood, and possibility of splinters drives me away from it. Does anyone have any suggestions?
  • edited November -1
    Have you looked at those busy buddies mentioned above? Those look pretty neat - I just don't know how they'd be against an akita.
  • edited November -1
    Rui - The wood toy is probably from Zoo Active. They are reviewed in the new issue of Whole Dog Journal. They are said to be great toys for your dog to use under supervision, because they are destructable when treated improperly. The only plastic one they have is called the Dog Pyramid which is treat dispensing toy that rights itself so that all the treats don't pour out all the time.

Did you check out the Premier toys I mentioned above?
  • edited May 2008
    Had forgotten about the tug a jug. It looks cool for unsupervised use, to keep him busy while we're away.For that we already have a ball to fill, which he prefers to just pick up and throw, hehehe, and the kong. The kong works great while there's peanut butter inside,after it finishes, he loses interest. The ball he keeps rolling. Something like the dog fighter from zoo active, but made out of plastic would be great!

While I was writing this, Jen posted her comment. That link interesting toys too.

Thanks guys!
  • edited November -1
  • edited November -1
    any dog toy at the dollartree or big lots that make noise. My tyler spoiled rotten , he gets a few new toys once a month (love stuff animal toys that make noise). He get sick of stuff quick so I get him new stuff all the time. (dog owner on a budget)
  • edited November -1
    A few days ago, when I was ordering Kuma's food, I noticed that the online store from where I by it from had the Nina Ottosson's dog pyramid, but under another name. I just had delivered here at work along with Kuma and Nyx's food. I'll let you know how he likes it.
    They threw in a greenie as a present, does anyone have input on greenies?
    I'm trying to see if they can get me Nina Ottosson's Dog Fighter...
  • edited November -1
    I don't use them, since we incorporate raw and try not to use manufactured products, but friends with dogs that use them love them. Just watch he to make sure he can chew it - dogs have choked on greenies!
  • edited November -1
    Tasha - tennis ball

Ronan - anything that moves or squeaks - preferably, very squeaky.

Buster cube is a close second fav for both, although food-driven Tasha will never tip it herself. Ronan loves the challenge and Tasha eats the kibble he spills.
  • edited November -1
    Thanks Jen. I'll keep a close eye on him. The greenie is the right size for his weight (just barely).
    They're a bit on the expensive side, but if it's good I'll consider it once in a while.
  • edited November -1
    Jake loves greenies. Every time he walks past the cupboard he stops and wants me to open it and give him a greenie. I get the smaller size and limit him to one a day. The daycamp will not allow them because as Jen says, some dogs choke on them. Jake has never had a problem, but he's not food driven so he chews them insteads of swallowing them.
  • edited November -1
    I used to feed greenies all the time. Then they killed a few dogs, and I stopped feeding them. They did change their formula, and Nemo never had a problem, but now I just give him other treats instead, and brush his teeth.