How to treat them

edited April 2008 in General

Ok, it's kinda hard for me to explain this so if it doesn't make any sense just let me know and I'll try to figure out another way of asking.

Over the years we're already planning on adding 4+ dogs into the household. Now there are things I'd want to do differently if I only had one pup or if I had 2 or 3 or 4 or more. If we're already planning on having a pack, should I act accordingly or just make the dogs adjust as time goes on?

For example..For 1 dog I'll let them sleep in my bed. Same for 2 dogs. Maybe for 3. When number 4 comes around I'm going to make them sleep in their crates and no ones allowed on the bed. Would you suggest making them adjust to the differences as time goes on or make them sleep in the crates from pup 1? 

Now this is just a hypothetical question that best explained what I was asking. Realistically no dog will be allowed in the bedroom or on any furniture.

Comments

• edited November -1
    If you're planning on having a big pack, start with the first and apply all the rules you would with a pack of 4.  I think it would be rather hard to re-arrange rules for the older dogs.  It is possible, but might be a little bit hectic in the first few weeks of putting the new rules for the older dogs in action.
  • edited April 2008

I think if adding new dogs makes the rules change, the dogs already there might resent the new dogs and think it's their fault. I know plenty of people who think that dogs should never sleep on your bed (or even your bedroom) anyway. I'm undecided on the bedroom thing, but I would definitely say you need consistency in whatever you decide. Some people with multiple dogs who let them sleep on the bed just make them take turns, but it depends on the pack dynamics. Around here, Tojo's allowed on the bed and Rakka's not. That's not our rule, though, Tojo and Rakka decided that for themselves. No one sleeps on the bed with us at night, though. We want it to ourselves.
  • edited November -1
    You don't necessarily have to make all the dogs stay off the bed. You can allow the older dogs on the bed, and teach the new dogs to stay off...I don't think dogs get jealous - like people do...there might be the dominance stuff, but I don't think that dogs say to themselves "It's not faaaairrr!!! How come they get on the bed, and I don't! Mooooommmm!". I think if you decide with a new dog that they aren't going to get on the bed, and you don't let them on the bed (and stick with it), they'll learn they aren't allowed on the bed. I mean, with our dogs, and my parents, the schnauzers are allowed on the furniture. Dogs over 25 lbs, not allowed on furniture. There's never been an issue with the dogs...they don't know it's their size that determines if they can hop up or not, it's just how it is.
  • edited November -1
    Or, you could give in gracefully, and plan to buy yourself a bed when the dogs take over!
  • edited November -1

LMAO @ buy myself a bed.

Yeah I figured it'll be best to keep things consistent from day 1 but it's nice to know what others think.

Heidi - Dogs wont be allowed in the bedroom because we'll have 2 rabbits free roaming in there. No matter how much I will love my dogs I will never trust them with my rabbits. My 3rd rabbit is also terrified of dogs and will stop eating for a day or two if she comes in contact with one. So dog in bedroom = bad things happen.

• edited November -1

be prepared though! even if you remain consistant, you can still have mass choas and injury.

This I have learned.

• edited November -1

Planning too far ahead.

Slow down. 

• edited November -1
    I think I have to agree wit Jessica "Telegram" Rabbit Tongue out

Even with a lot of planning, you get there and you end up changing stuff around cause of their own characters and what suits it best. There are certain things that just can not be planned (almost).
  • edited November -1

Plus, aren't you still looking for a place?

I definitely wouldn't even think about expanding to pack status until you are an established homeowner, who knows their neighbors well.

Part of why I bought the house I bought is a number of my neighbors have more than 3 dogs, and are rescue folk, so they get it. 

• edited November -1

ALL OF YOU (THE DOGS) GET IN THE BED! YAY! haha xD

• edited November -1

Jessica - That's what I do. I plan way far ahead, make a list of all specifics and then as things change throw away the old list and make a new one. Sort of a OCD hobby of mine. And I'm talking about 5-10 years down the road so establishing homeownership is a given. And with my puppy being a year down the road, I'm trying to kill time by coming up with random yet relative questions.

I know there are some things you can't help but change but I'm talking about the obvious ones where it'll be completely in your power to change and it's all about a personal preference and no outside input.

• edited November -1

As far as sleeping arrangements go, most people here tend to discourage bed sleeping. Moto has no interest in sleeping bed with us. He sleeps on a dog bed next to ours. Himiko sleeps on a bed in her play pen. And Piglet sleeps under the covers with us.

I have found with all my dogs that the right decision can only be made once you understand your dogs personality and the dynamic of the group.

As far as way extensive planning ahead...and having minor OCD... I have learned that my energy is better spent solving problems in the present. Because the future is never promised to us. 

• edited November -1
    Is there such a thing as minor OCD? ;-)
  • edited November -1

Minor meaning I don't have to medicate. I am internally aware enough to be able to acknowledge what is rational and when it is a manifestation of the disorder. For instance I will lay all your pens down on your desk in way that I consider orderly, and I will spend 6 hours cleaning a bathroom, however I don't need to count things or turn locks a number of times. If my order is thrown I may get annoyed or if I am particularly vulnerable even stressed but I rarely lose it, and don't self mutilate as some sufferers do.

I find a lot of people abuse the terms OCD, ADD, and ADHD and use it as a justification for being control freaks or hyper. Just like there are many people who claim to have wheat allergies just so they have an excuse to avoid carbs. What sucks is then people who really do suffer with an affliction are less likely to be taken seriously because "everyone has that" 

• edited November -1
    I understand about the terminology on OCD - I don't have to medicate either - my doc considers me to be able to cope well with the issues I have - except when I have high stress in other areas.  If my stress level reaches a certain point, all bets are off.  I will spend hours organizing drawers, the pantry, linen closet.  I will run out tape for my Dymo labeler.  The bathroom floor will have been cleaned by a toothbrush again.  Doc says it's my way of coping with stress.  However, a friend of mine who says she has no OCD tendencies recently told me that she "has" to vacuum her house 15-20 times a day.  Her sister tells me that she uses a distinct pattern in the vacuuming, and a precise order of the 8 vacuum cleaners she has.  If you interrupt the vacuuming, she starts over.  Would you say she has some OCD tendencies?
  • edited November -1
    DEFINATELY.
    She just hasn't been diagnosed. The vacuuming thing is way more intense then my worst flare ups and thats regular for her? She should talk to her doc. Or do yoga, that is how I keep mine in check.
  • edited November -1
    I wasn't sure if she was OCD or OCPD (since she didn't recognize it to be a problem) - but I talked with her sister and told her she needed to see someone.  Mine was diagnosed back 90-91, and they wanted me to go on meds - I used to have really bad anxiety attacks.  Meditation and re-focus has worked well for me.  I didn't want to take meds and still hate taking any kind, but when I have a migraine, that pain is just horrible and imitrex still works for me on that.  I just try to stay relaxed and that helps - some of my quirks still come through, but I've been pretty well controlled for just over 13 years.
  • edited November -1

I too steer clear of meds whenever possible.

I used to get awful migraines as a kid. I became vegan when I was 13 and have had 3 migraines since then. 3 in 20 years aint bad. Sadly I am allergic to EVERY migraine med on the market so I have always just had to tough it out. 

• edited November -1
    Wow. I didn't intend for that comment to spark such a serious discussion.
    Sorry . :-(
  • edited April 2008

3 in 20 years?  Wow!!!  I've had 4 this month!  Of course, I have also had one of the worst sinus infections in my life over the last month and that has been a major contributor.  My usual is about 1 every 6 to 7 weeks.

Dave -No worries - a lot of people are just anal retentative or a type A - it can make it tough when you are trying to explain about being OCD and people say - I understand I am too.  Serious discussions are ok - it lets other people see what is going on in other people's lives.  

• edited November -1
    That's Errik's job to worry about the present. We balance each other out that way. And as stated, the sleeping arrangements were just an example I made up to make my question understandable. I'm not worried about it at all. I'm sorry if my thread is annoying you. I'm just making conversation.
  • edited November -1

This may sound really off the wall, but my thinking on expanding the pack runs more along the lines of the “it takes a village to raise a child” philosophy. I’ve been kicking around the idea and I’ve pretty much decided that a truly responsible backyard breeder (if there is such a thing) is actually being tasked with a program of selective fostering. That is to say, dog people are generally just as knowledgeable about the other folks at the dog park as they are about the dogs themselves.

If we ever had a litter, I could easily produce a short list of the owners I’d consider to be more or less ideal. Needless to say, if these folks were so inclined; I’d much rather give them the pups than sell them to a stranger. Besides, I’ll see them at the park all the time anyway. It’s not like I’m really giving them up.

By starting with a breeding pair and placing two or three dogs a year; I figure you’re looking at least 12-15 offspring. And if a few of those owners brought in outside breeding stock and started “splinter cells” things could get really interesting after a couple generations. Then, a dozen years from now when he’s grey around the muzzle and has a full pack at his command; Mochi can round up a respectable posse and go looking for that American Bulldog that chased him out of Diamond Head Park back in '07.Smile