Tokyo NIPPO show photos

edited April 2012 in General
A beautiful sunny day in Tokyo. It was nice to see Shigeru again and of course lots of dogs.

RIMG0292

RIMG0296

6 month old Hokkaido female
RIMG0301

6 month old black Shikoku
RIMG0320

Shiba Standoff
RIMG0340

Kai pups
RIMG0359

Comments

• Nice photos! Thanks for sharing.

Looks like 2 out of the 3 shikoku were more of the "boar" type. I know the "deer" type had become more popular recently. Do you think there's a push back in the other direction? Or just a small sample size?
  • edited April 2012
    Is that a sesame and cream Shikoku?

"Boar" and "Deer" type? Is that more for strike dogs vs baying? or just their body structure for the type of chase each would give?
    UPDATE: Nevermind, found the answer in a search on one of Brad's posts.

Jesse
  • I like that first Shikoku's head a lot.
  • Those dogs are amazingly beautiful!!! Thanks for sharing them!
  • The picture with two dogs is a Shikoku and a Kishu. I like the first Shikoku as well, I prefer that sharp looking face on Shibas as well. The black Shikoku really stood out as well.
  • Oooo - I LOVE the 6 month old Hokkaido female's face! SO pretty!
  • I like the first Shikoku also. The Shiba is nice.
  • That Hokkaido picture just made my day. Thanks for sharing all the photos!
  • I want to cuddle up those kai pups...
  • That hokka is beautiful. Kinda makes me want a hokka again.
  • The Hokkaido was one of the friendliest dogs I have met but all she wanted to was to have everyone's hands in her mouth!
    RIMG0351

• That's interesting as that's a very anti-social behavior.
  • Anti social? How so?
  • edited April 2012
    @lindsayt - In rescue it's a "red flag" sign, same with "hugging" (a dog that jumps up and hugs your leg, or a puppy that hugs your arm/hand when you pick them up). These are signs of discomfort.

Not to be too anthropomorphic, but it's like... "Ah! I don't know what to do with this hand. I'm uncomfortable with it. I will hold it (in my mouth) to control the situation."

Akita do a LOT of this hand mouthing activity. Also, I have seen a lot of Kai who "hug". Both breeds are generally on the less-social side of the spectrum (introverts). Kishin does the leg hug thing too (and Kishu are known for being not super friendly with strangers - generally speaking).

----
  • edited April 2012
    I'll add, if you were selecting for civil-aggression in a PPD and the pup showed signs of "hugging" then later did the "hand mouthing" thing... And that pup was outgoing and not fearful... Well, you would have hit the jackpot for a PPD.
  • edited April 2012
    One last comment, so I am 100% clear...

If you have a pup that shows these behaviors, it doesn't mean they are doomed or something. It just means you need to work harder with them.

These are the small things breeders (or puppy buyers) can look for in a litter, and use that info to construct a socialization plan for that pup.

In other words, the pup is not a "cull", it just needs more work.

Same applies to adult dogs - but it's obviously more concerning in an older dog than a puppy.
  • Omg, @brada1878-- Kilbe does this!

I love the 1st shikokus head! It's so big! He's a cutie! His had reminds me of shoushuu's (@shikokuspirit)
  • Brad, I think you and I are thinking of two similar, but seperate behaviors. I understand the hand grabbing in a fearful dog who is uncomfortable and hugging when held. A dog with fearful body language doing this would be a red flag for sure.

In the photo however, I see a dog with friendly and inviting body language. Your assessment of the same photo surprises me a lot since I'm not seeing it from that perspective. I have a gleefully social Shiba bitch (the one who does all the sports and nursing home visits), who isn't afraid of anything, who will hold hands in her mouth with people she is particularly excited to meet.

I see it as a greeting ritual (that is admittedly rude and pushy, and perhaps that is what I want to see so ignore that it in fact could be a warning sign), and she is not the only Shiba who I've seen do this. She gets frustrated when the person isn't acknowledging her fast enough, so she grabs a hand for attention as well. I will admit she is a pushy bitch.

So I don't see this as a red flag pointing to an uncomfortable or nervous dog in this example, and correct it how I would with any puppy that is mouthy. I didn't with her since she translated that very easily to tugging, which was a behavior I wanted for training, and she has very strong tug drive and bite. Perhaps she would do well in PPD training as well, all 18 lbs of her ;) stranger things have happened.
  • I didn't write anything about the behavior being a sign of fearfulness, I wrote that it was a sign of discomfort. Discomfort can be caused by more than just fear, like over excitement for example. In that case the behavior is still antisocial as it is being done by the dog to help calm itself. A dog that is so worked up by a social interaction that it needs to search for extreme ways to calm itself (like putting a person's hand in their mouth) is IMHO not socially comfortable.
  • edited April 2012
    Hmm, interesting. Mouthing for attention doesn't seem extreme to me, so I'm having a hard time seeing it as being socially uncomfortable/antisocial since the intent seems to be pro social...It's certainly something to stay mindful of.
  • edited April 2012
    Also, my dogs are perfect, even the brindle one ;)
  • edited April 2012
    I'm just sharing info I have learned from the experts. Nothing personal.

PS: In dog behavior, the behavior of hold things in their mouth is widely accepted as a "calming method" in dogs.

----
  • Just to add my $0.02. At first I thought Brad was off in left field, but now that I think about it I'm coming to agree with him.

Take a retrieving breed for example. Like a Lab, cause I have some experience there. From the time they are able to walk, they constantly carry objects around in their mouths. I'm sure it is self-reinforcing behavior as their genetics program them to enjoy that. A Lab puppy is probably the mouthiest thing on the planet. I've taken to greeting Diesel with a toy in my hand so he'll grab and hold that rather than mouth me. It gets old. lol.

That being said, it's clear that having something in his mouth has definitely evolved to be a calming thing for Diesel. When he is way too excited to greet, if I give him something to hold he will try to sit still (which he fails at miserably, he looks like he's having a seizure from shaking with excitement).
  • I totally appreciate the new info Brad, as always. I hope you see I am lying thru my teeth when I say my dogs are perfect :)
  • @lindsayt - No, I get it... My intent was not at all to attack anyone dog(s). So, I don't want you (or anyone else) thinking that I was doing that. Truth is, Ahi, Fuji, Lani, Ritsu, Kodi, Luytiy, and Parka do this behavior... That is why I am so aware of it.
  • edited April 2012
    @dlroberts - Yea, that's a great example. Another is Parka... He freaks out when it's time to go on a walk. To calm himself he holds the leash in his mouth and carries it around. Too much excitement for him, he gets uncomfortable, and so he performs a calming behavior.

Kona does it at feeding time too. All the dogs are going nuts, Kona is not comfortable with it, so he runs over and finds a stick, toy, ball - anything - to carry in his mouth to the barn then he drops it when he gets there.

This is one (of MANY) of the reasons PP Sports trainers use tugs for training. When the dog preforms the task they get rewarded by running and catching the toy, but then they are allowed to carry the toy for a bit as it helps them calm down.

Actually, carrying objects is a key part of the Schutzhund training for this reason. It requires the dog to concentrate under pressure which helps calm them (and that helps to focus).

The issue with the object being a hand or a different body part is that it shows the dog is seeking to calm themselves during social interaction. It also shows that the dog doesn't see a difference between a human's hand and some other object they can carry. It takes some lack of civility (some civil aggression?) for a dog to place human body part in their mouth in a calming attempt.

----
  • Hey, Toki does that! That is the only time he bites people is when gets overly excited from not seeing them in a while, and he has to really like them a lot. It's not a hard bite, more like mouthing.
  • Thanks for the explanation, Brad. It explains why my dog likes to pick up pinecones and carry them on walks.
  • That's interesting that's why I like this forum learn something all the time. :)
  • All very interesting, I like learning something new. I am not sure I agree with the assessment that it is anti-social, but it makes sense that it is a calming behavior.