Comments

• OH MY GOSH!
  • edited March 2013
    "This image, provided by Camilla Fox, of the group Project Coyote, shows a dog killed by a conibear trap that was allegedly set by the government in Southampton, N.Y."

OMFG, that's like 20 minutes away from me. Why the hell would they set traps like this on Long Island, the biggest "predator" we have here are Raccoons and feral cats. Everything else was killed off over 100yrs ago, we don't even have venomous snakes anymore.

It's just sickening
  • These sorts of things that can kill a medium-sized dog are illegal in my state. The legal ones Conker could get his head into, but not Juneau or Sasha.
  • Sickening
  • That's really heartbreaking. 400 families/people loosing their dogs due to one person!? Scary thought.
  • Sick..
    The neighborhood association told the McCurtains it never would have approved such traps had it known they were so deadly.
    do your research before approving things.. coarse the trap is dangerous.

I seen nutria rats when I lived in Louisiana they were in the canal back of my house no one set traps though so they lived there. There alligator snappers in the canal so maybe they dined on the baby nutrias..

I seen nutrias caught by live trap..

They need Saya she'd decimate the nutria.. She is into small critters like them.

• Ugh... horrible.
  • edited March 2013
    Well looks like I'm having to deal with this issue now too. :(

It's not on my property, but close enough to me that it is scary to think about.. If facing on the lane that goes to the road it is on the left. Down in a drainage area..
    photo DSC_0012_zpsbbe227ce.jpg

On the right I own some of the woods area not sure how much need check..

Anyways here's pictures I took.

photo DSC_0011_zps84752a05.jpg

photo DSC_0010_zps1c974399.jpg

photo DSC_0009_zps690bc4db.jpg

My hand here for size reference.
    photo DSC_0008_zps3ba221be.jpg

photo DSC_0007_zps960ea477.jpg

The pictures I took of it I had already tripped it with a stick and omg it clamped so fast and hard I don't know if a cat would survive or even a dog.

I know Saya's head could fit in it maybe to her neck..

Bella her face probably fit in it. She has bulkier head though.

My neighbor in front of me has two cats which I know hang down in that area where the live trap and conibear trap is.

Luckily Saya sticks in my yard and I'm always outside when dogs are outside if I need go inside to do something or I'm done for the day the dogs comes in too.

I learned there is dog proof traps here is a video on it.

I'm going to check if this type of trap is illegal in my area if it is illegal I didn't bring measuring tape to measure it size to be sure.

I'll be calling the DNR people as they helped me when my other neighbor was burning all kinds of things by my pond from wood to tires. D:

I removed the tires actually so they never gotten burned, but still wtf old man burning tires? I felt so stupid for not getting photographic proof of the tires.. I do have picture of the fire he did the flames were very high higher then my shed. :(

God I love neighbors just because we are in country they think they can do anything from throwing jacuzzi, kid slide down into the woods, burning tires.

Maybe I'm worrying for nothing, but still blink of an eye anything can happen..

I never left her venture into that area, but still.

No signs to alert owners of trap and no door knock or note to at least let us know.

I know it's their property my dogs shouldn't be there, but still nice to know if it is there.
  • @saya that's so scary that those traps are so near you... I would be so freaked out, and probably make it my mission to set them all off every weekend. :(
  • I do believe if its a government trap they have to leave a sign. If they don't its illegal. But since their are no signs and they are just sitting out there I would take them as abandoned property and get rid of 'em permantly.
  • edited March 2013
    It's illegal to tamper with or remove legally placed traps. I'd be quite angry if someone did that to mine.
    I would call the local wildlife department if I found one, after checking the local/state/federal laws about them, and report it if it was illegal. Better not to get on the wrong side of the law about these sorts of things, or to piss off a potentially dangerous trapper.
  • Yeah I don't plan to take it or anything. If it is illegal I'll report it if it isn't I'll just have to keep my dogs away.

• man that is messed up. if something like that killed my dog, id definitely be going to jail after i find the person that placed the trap.

i wonder if they do this in canada as well.
  • I grew up in Alaska where people trap, but I have zero patience for people who trap in populated areas. It's too dangerous for domestic animals (and even children) and it is super inconsiderate. Anyone who is placing traps that close to people's homes doesn't deserve the consideration of not having their traps sprung or even taken.

I would be super pissed off about that.