Popsci article: The Chemistry of Kibble

Comments

• That's interesting.
  • Thanks for posting it!
  • That was pretty interesting. I'd read some of the history of kibble before--ie. that it is a pretty recent development--which this article confirmed. But it was fascinating (and slightly scary) to read about how kibble is created and made palatable to animals....
  • thanks for posting! It made work go by a lot quicker, lol
  • Very interesting! I've often wondered how much of a difference dogs actually taste in different types of food... my Lapphund was always a bad one to judge it on, because she would eat almost anything she identified as food unless she was ill.

I still find it interesting (not from this article, but in general) that from what I've heard, kibble is still only catching on in the former Soviet Union. My host in Ukraine was extremely dubious about it--she had always fed her pets (mostly cats) meat and soup.

That said, my cat loves stealing chicken soup. She'd be all for that plan.
  • Yeah, when I lived in Poland in the 90s any kind of dog food was still very rare, and dogs were fed table scraps and meat. And dogs were healthy and not, just as you'd guess. Our host family in Lodz had a not so healthy dachshund, but she fed him primarily bread it looked like, and of course, he was a mess!

Years ago, when I read Billinghurst's book Give your Dog a Bone, and the classic bones and raw food diet, he talked about how kibble changed the way dogs were fed in Australia. It's interesting that pet food is now so ingrained as a choice that many people say with pride "my dog never gets people food" which always just puzzles me. The pet food industry has done a great job of convincing not only the buying public, but vets too, that dog food is the way to go and anything else is bad. It's really marketing genius.