GPS chips vs. Microchips

edited October 2014 in General
Let me start by saying all of our pups have microchip implants. Giving the fact Kiyomi and Arashi are getting older and bolder, I'm concerned they may find a weak spot (believe me, I'm trying to stay ahead of them) in the fence and our two little Houdinis may get out of the yard. Microchips are great if someone scans the pups. But, we're thinking GPS chips synced with our phones would be more vigilant and proactive.

My questions are: What are the general thoughts on the GPS chips? Does anyone have first hand knowledge of the chips?

We appreciate anyone's input.

Comments

• Don't GPS chips require a power source?
  • GPS needs power. Not sure how that would work as an implant.
  • I have a gps Devices Called Tagg. they sync VERY well with your phone and are good for multi dogs. I think its just like pet insurance. You wont see the benefit until you are in need of it. So far we are not in the stages where a gps implanted in dogs is ready for commercial use, so I am assuming your referring to an external device.

It relies on cell service (TAGG), Verizon. So It only works where you have coverage. IE not in the mountains. You may want to look into a garmin for that.

The beauty of tagg is that it does exactly what you need help with. You can set a zone- Your back yard/house and if they leave outside the zone, you will get a text, and alert on your phone in real time along with gps coordinates and map view (google maps style) of your pets location (not in real time but updated every 30secs once the perimeter alert goes off)

As far as accuracy it works just like your phones gps, it is pretty accurate. much more so then someone saying "i think i saw him run that way..."

any more Q's I can help when it comes to garmin and TAGG

Also the microchips are a joke. Especially for a lost dog. something is better than nothing.
  • Having dogs microchip is nice. coarse only helps if person who finds the dog takes it to a shelter or vet to be scanned and sometimes things happen and they don't scan it or something.

Still good thing to have in case.

Good id tags which don't wear down is good. I like boomerang tags they attatch to the collar and can be put on harness too. So far in the time I had it the words haven't worn down.

http://www.boomerangtags.com/store/?k=h

I've never used gps so can't help there are many kinds though. Tagg and garmin seem to be the two most common ones I seen.
  • I live in the mountains so the cell-based services are no good to me, and Garmin trackers are out of the budget. All my guys are chipped and wear ID tags on collar, harness, backpack they own. The ones who are well-trained and well- practiced at recall get to run off leash in the woods, the one who isn't, doesn't.

An ID story: I left one of Sage's nylon collars on the roof of my car after a wet, muddy hike and forgot about it. A few days later I got a call from a guy who found the collar on the road, and it had been out in the elements, run over and the buckle broken. The stainless steel boomerang collartag was scuffed a bit, but not bent and still completely readable. and of course, Sage was safe at home the whole time :)
  • Saw this GPS collar advertised:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-arden-collar-bracelet-the-future-is-here

Kinda reminds me of a slimmer profile TAGG collar?
  • edited November 2014
    there was this one on kickstarter too a while back i thought was neat :)
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1226890823/iota-never-lose-sight-of-whats-important

cool stuff! i like both of them!
  • @ayk - Oh wow. That is super cool. I had heard about the piezo-electrical nanogenerator in medical devices but never thought about using it for a GPS chip. I really hope that this takes off and is reasonably priced!